Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which Latos / Bailey extension do you see before the season?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neither

17 21.52%
  • Both

26 32.91%
  • Latos Only

31 39.24%
  • Bailey Only

5 6.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailey / Latos LTC ?

Bailey / Latos LTC ?

I'm starting to question whether extending Bailey or Latos (let alone both) is going to happen before the season starts. What's your guess:

1. Neither

2. Both

3. Latos Only

4. Bailey Only

With the influx of TV contract $$ I'm wondering if both if these guy's see contracts larger than what the Reds will offer?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey / Latos LTC ?

I think neither is the most likely option at this point but I wouldn't be surprised with anything Walt could pull off.

I'm wary of locking up a core, suffering some injuries and winding up with a full payroll and not enough talent. I'd take my chances year-to-year for at least one more year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm not getting a sense that either will get done, but we have until April for things to change. Of course the arb deadline is nearing as well, so maybe things will pick up. Bailey's shoulder still bothers me. I'd go year to year with him. Latos would be a great signing, IMO.

I'm guessing that they get something done with Latos (although maybe that's just wishful thinking).

Not so sure about Homer. He did have a great year last season.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm wary of locking up a core, suffering some injuries and winding up with a full payroll and not enough talent. I'd take my chances year-to-year for at least one more year.
    I know what you mean, although at least Cingrani and Corcino could fill in over the next two years if an injury happened.

Here are the final years of team control for our staff:

Cueto 2015
    Latos 2015
    Arroyo 2013
    Bailey 2014
    Chapman 2016
    Leake 2015

I could see Latos happening. Put me in the camp that's a little wary about going long term with Homer.

It would be nice to see how Chapman does before locking down Bailey. I would pull the trigger on Latos now.

I suppose finding out if Chapman is an ace also helps the financial forecasting as well. In that case I think Latos may get a nice extension next season to make Chapman/Latos your rotation 2016+

You are already most likely going to get their best years under current contracts. Let someone else pay for the decline years and keep attempting to develop own talent on pitching end. Hitters seem to be more projectable so invest in that direction as they already have.

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-07-2013),Boss-Hog (02-07-2013),Revering4Blue (02-07-2013)

This is why we have other young pitchers in the pipeline. We've pretty much already got a $100mill payroll as it is. We can't afford more LTCs

14. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-07-2013),Revering4Blue (02-07-2013)

I don't know if I agree with not locking up the best core . Isn't that like playing not to lose??

With Bailey,I don't see an agreeable medium,because of his mindset. Latos is very similar. Both seem very headstrong,I can relate to that attitude.

I wonder how Cueto's contract plays into this.It might not bode well ,if there was much of a disparity in contracts.

I don't think there will be much difference between the Latos and Bailey going forward,barring injuries. I might go as far as to predict Bailey the better pitcher.
    I like them both.

As kbrake said,Walt seems full of surprises.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I don't know if I agree with not locking up the best core . Isn't that like playing not to lose??
    It's a matter of money, not philosophy. The Reds are not in a market where they have major contracts locked into a bunch of players. They need to replace expensive ones with young, cheap ones on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's a matter of money, not philosophy. The Reds are not in a market where they have major contracts locked into a bunch of players. They need to replace expensive ones with young, cheap ones on a regular basis
    That doesn't seem to be an issue to Walt and the FO as he has publicly stated he would like to lock both up.

At this point I think we know in Latos we have an Ace in the making. I would like to see another year out of Homer before I would offer him a LTC. There have been a lot of guys who get rewarded after 1 good year and then never live up to the potential of the contract. It may cost us a few more dollars to make LTC later on, but I would rather be sure in what the Reds invest in.

Turn Off Ads?