Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Big Brother or Coincidence?

Big Brother or Coincidence?

My daughter in the past couple of days has come into a situation where she is going to need a lawyer. The first site that I log onto this morning has an ad for a lawyer in the Houston area. About 15 minutes later I go onto another site and there is an ad for a different lawyer in the Houston area. I have not been looking up attorneys online. But I have had a couple of emails discussing that possibility. Is this just coincidence? Or are my emails being monitored? I hate to sound paranoid but this is kind of freaky to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Big Brother or Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    My daughter in the past couple of days has come into a situation where she is going to need a lawyer. The first site that I log onto this morning has an ad for a lawyer in the Houston area. About 15 minutes later I go onto another site and there is an ad for a different lawyer in the Houston area. I have not been looking up attorneys online. But I have had a couple of emails discussing that possibility. Is this just coincidence? Or are my emails being monitored? I hate to sound paranoid but this is kind of freaky to me.
    Do you have a google phone?

Did you email with google?

Or let's just face it.. there are too many lawyers out there and they have to advertise these days?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If you use g-mail, your terms of service allowed them to data mine your e-mail for words and phrases that they then use to direct advertising when you browse.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you use g-mail, your terms of service allowed them to data mine your e-mail for words and phrases that they then use to direct advertising when you browse.
    This message was brought to you by a lawyer.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-07-2013)

Just to note, the google ad that popped up at the top of this page is for a legal practice.

Yeah, Android phones, Google chrome, Google searches, Youtube, Gmail..all of that stuff is mined.

I use AOL email. It was probably a coincidence. I probably have had plenty of lawyer ads and just did not notice them until now.

Interestingly enough, right before I went on this thread, I was reading the Todd Helton thread.

At the top of my page is an ad for a local DUI lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Interestingly enough, right before I went on this thread, I was reading the Todd Helton thread.

At the top of my page is an ad for a local DUI lawyer.

Yep.. create a thread about baseball lawyers wearing t-shirts and looking for a dating service and chances are that all four subjects will display targeted ads.

The internet is full of tricks like this and all the data that you give it it can and will give it back and give it to others.

Long story short, don't want it to be found out?

Browse in a hidden mode and don't send information from accounts linked to your real information.

All of the ads on my page are for erectile dysfunction?

They call me "chef"

My ads for Pariah brand clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Do you have a google phone?

Did you email with google?

Or let's just face it.. there are too many lawyers out there and they have to advertise these days?
    Or maybe we offer a professional service that people need and advertise just like everyone else.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Most of mine are for Logmein - which I use to control my computer at work from home... right now it is a law firm (?). Hmmm... could it be that I'm on this thread?
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    All of the ads on my page are for erectile dysfunction?
    Then a lawyer can't help you.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

remdog (02-11-2013),Revering4Blue (02-11-2013)

Turn Off Ads?