Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choo's affect on our lineup..........

Re: Choo's affect on our lineup..........

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Quite frankly, I think by the end of the season we'll see Hamilton in center, with Choo in left. I love Ludwick and his attitude, but think he's going to have a hard time duplicating last year. If he gets off to the kind of start he did last year, and Hamilton is tearing up AAA, while Choo is struggling defensively in center, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Billy up.
    I think you might be disappointed due to the 2 year deal Ludwick has and the way Ludwick pulled out of it last year as well, which Dusty will recall.

For Ludwick it seems to be a rhythm/preparedness thing. I believe he will find his stroke just like last year and have a great year.

But for Ludwick to do really really bad and Hamilton to do really really good it will take a lot of fortune. Also ahead of Billy is Heisey and perhaps Frazier, giving Dusty a lot of lineups to tinker with while the organization stays patient with Billy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think you mean to ask about Choo's effect on our lineup.

Sorry, grammar pet peeve.
    Thanks RedEye. LOL, I can't believe I missed that one! It's one of my pet peeves as well! I think I got caught between asking "how will Choo affect our lineup" and "What effect will Choo have on our lineup"
    Last edited by smixsell; 02-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    While I agree the defense won't be quite as good as the past two seasons, I think this will be by far our most well rounded offense since 1999. Frazier over Rolen is a big upgrade at 3rd. Choo over Stubbs is an enormous upgrade in center. Phillips and Ludwick may be a tad less effective this year due to age, but hopefully that means the opposite for Bruce, Cozart, Frazier, and Mesoraco.

Choo is playing for a contract, so I'm expecting one of the better seasons from an OF'er this franchise has seen in a decade or more.
    Plus, I think Choo will like playing in the NL and in NL parks.

I'll be pretty surprised if it's not Bruce who ends up in CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm guessing Cozart's hitting will be negatively impacted by hitting in front of the pitcher while Hanigan's is positively impacted hitting there. The 8th hitter gets pitched around a bit with the pitcher on deck. Hanigan takes advantage of that by letting the opposition walk him and it helps his OBP considerably IMO. In the 7th spot, I'd guess pitchers will come at Hanigan and his overall OBP and production will drop. OTOH, if Cozart gets pitched around, he may expand his zone and lower his OBP even farther as he chases. I'd guess that both Cozart and Hanigan would benefit by Hanigan hitting in front of the pitcher and Cozart not doing so. I'd hit Cozart 7th. His occassional power and ability to run fits better there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    One of the reasons that Hannigan gets alot of walks is becuase he has the patience to take a walk when it's presented to him.

When he bats 8th pitchers will often pitch aroind him with two outs and the pitcher coming up. The walk allows us to turn over the lineup.

Hannagan would not have nearly as mant walks hitting 7th. And Cozart likley doesn't have the plate discipline to take the walk if presented nearly as much. IMO, we would turn the lineup over less often.
    Hanigan has a career OBP of .362 in the 8th spot and a .396 OBP in the 7th spot. So it doesn't look like batting 8th causes pitchers to to be more likely to pitch around Hanigan. His walk rate is not increased when he bats 8th.

Cozart has a woeful career .290 OBP. Hitting Cozart in front of Hanigan makes it a lot less likely that Hanigan even gets to bat, much less the pitcher to turn the lineup over.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-08-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Hanigan has a career OBP of .362 in the 8th spot and a .396 OBP in the 7th spot. So it doesn't look like batting 8th causes pitchers to to be more likely to pitch around Hanigan. His walk rate is not increased when he bats 8th.

Cozart has a woeful career .290 OBP. Hitting Cozart in front of Hanigan makes it a lot less likely that Hanigan even gets to bat, much less the pitcher to turn the lineup over.
    While I don't think it's an earth-shattering difference either way, I think Cozart's slugging ability (more extra base hits) makes him the better choice for the 7th spot.

Cozart's SA was .399 last season(2B-3B-HR of 33-4-15 in 561 AB's), compared to Hanny's .338 (2B-3B-HR of 14-0-2 in 317 AB's). That is a significant differance in run producing ability for the 7 spot, which is still a run production (RBI) spot IMO in a good lineup and in a good hitter's park.

Also, as other posters have correctly pointed out IMO, Hanny has proven he can handle the sometimes tough 8th spot, whereas Cozart's overall production might suffer a lot hitting in front of the pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Thanks RedEye. LOL, I can't believe I missed that one! It's one of my pet peeves as well! I think I got caught between asking "how will Choo affect our lineup" and "What effect will Choo have on our lineup"
    No problem. Now let's fix it!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The Reds had the biggest gap in baseball last season between their team RC/27 and their actual runs scored. A lot of that has to be laid at the feet of the rampant inefficiency of the leadoff spot. Just taking the RC difference between Choo and Stubbs and then halving the inefficiency gap in last year's lineup gets you 90 runs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Is anybody else as STOKED as I am about adding this guy to our lineup?
    My first thought upon hearing we had acquired Choo?

I believe.

GL

Turn Off Ads?