Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 20,000 days since...

High five!

20,000 days since...

...one of the Reds greatest comebacks:

20,000 days ago saw one of the greatest, and most unlikely, ninth inning comebacks in baseball history. It happened in the top of the ninth, so lacked the fitting climax of a walk-off win—and meant the crowd was actually appalled by the sudden turnaround in the game—but it’s still one of the most amazing ninth-inning revivals ever.
    The best part? It was against the Cubs.

Read the whole thing here!

2. Likes:

Caveman Techie (02-08-2013),RichRed (02-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: 20,000 days since...

Hey, nice retro post. Frank Robinson at third base...I like it!

Did I just enjoy this article way too much, then email it to my three Cubs fan friends? Yes, yes I did.

Thanks, nate!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6. Likes:

nate (02-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Hey, nice retro post. Frank Robinson at third base...I like it!
    Can you imagine the criticism of Dusty if something like that happened now with players not playing their natural positions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

Caveman Techie (02-08-2013)

I think this game was a more dramatic comeback, albeit not in the 9th inning.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97608110.shtml

I always remember this game because I was listening to it on the radio while I was at work for a trucking company. We were down 9-0 after the second with Fred Norman having been beaten around like a piñata and Borbon not being much better. After three, the score was 10-1.

The fun part was I was chatting with someone from our Chicago terminal via teletype (sort of like G-chat with paper!) and they were crowing about the Cubs pounding us. I reminded them it was Wrigley and the wind could turn around and no lead was safe. Sure enough, we tied it in the 9th and won it in the 10th. Now THAT was fun.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

10. Likes:

Always Red (02-08-2013)

While we are piling on the Cubs, here's another 9th inning comeback I can remember. It's less dramatic than the other two mentioned but still a nice 9th inning comeback. This game was Dan Driessen's MLB debut. This was an NBC game of the week,IIRC and the reason I can remember watching it.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...090CHN1973.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

I always remember this game because I was listening to it on the radio while I was at work for a trucking company. We were down 9-0 after the second with Fred Norman having been beaten around like a piñata and Borbon not being much better. After three, the score was 10-1.

The fun part was I was chatting with someone from our Chicago terminal via teletype (sort of like G-chat with paper!) and they were crowing about the Cubs pounding us. I reminded them it was Wrigley and the wind could turn around and no lead was safe. Sure enough, we tied it in the 9th and won it in the 10th. Now THAT was fun.
    I believe I remember watching this game too. IIRC, the wind was blowing out pretty heavy. So you thought the Reds had a decent chance at coming back. Sure enough they did. Foster was really hot at this time too. I can remember thinking he should hit a couple out with how the wind was blowing out. He didn't but Perez,Bench and Griffey took advantage.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Can you imagine the criticism of Dusty if something like that happened now with players not playing their natural positions?
    I think we'd have people posting that moving Robinson to third is a viable option...

I started following the Reds in 1961 at12 years old. It's funny, but out of all those players mentioned in the 1958 game, only Frank Robinson was playing regularly. It's no wonder the 1961 pennant was such a surprise to the world. Pinson was in center, Freese at third, Coleman at first, and Edwards at catcher. In three years
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

In case you were wondering how many days it has been since the Cubs last won the series, there is an app for that
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-wrigley-field

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

Good memory, redsmetz!

I do not remember that exact game, but interesting that Rose went 0-6 with 2k's.

1976 was the very best year ever; that team knew they were great, had the confidence of coming off a Worlds Championship, and expected to win every game. Which is why they won that game.

I was 15 years old that year, and I do not expect to ever experience a year like that again, one where most folks just knew how the year would end- with another World Series championship.

1975 was a gut wrenching nail biter of a year, by a team that seemingly constantly underperformed. 1976 was a virtuoso performance from a team and organization at the height of its power.
    sorry we're boring

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    In case you were wondering how many days it has been since the Cubs last won the series, there is an app for that
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-wrigley-field
    I'd love to know how many days, but refuse to pay the 99 cents to a Cubs fan for the app.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?