Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bleacher Report Ranks Top 10 Single-Season Performances In Reds History

Re: Bleacher Report Ranks Top 10 Single-Season Performances In Reds History

1985, also known as "The Year Dave Parker got hosed out of the MVP", was a pretty good one.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-10-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    1985, also known as "The Year Dave Parker got hosed out of the MVP", was a pretty good one.
    Willie F-in' McGee-- one good reason to hate the Cardinals.

My favorite bleacher "report" was the Chris Heisey for Carlos Marmol trade that was supposed to be announced in the next 24 hours.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Salukifan2

Dave Parker WAR 1985:4.4, defensive WAR:-.2

Willie Magee WAR 1985: 7.9, defensive WAR: .7

1985 cardinals record: 101-61

1985 reds record: 89-72

I'm not sure he got "hosed" out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Dave Parker WAR 1985:4.4, defensive WAR:-.2

Willie Magee WAR 1985: 7.9, defensive WAR: .7

1985 cardinals record: 101-61

1985 reds record: 89-72

I'm not sure he got "hosed" out of it.
    Parker was a one man show for that offense, McGee was surrounded by talent. Voters still aren't using WAR as the best metric for MVP in 2013, not sure they were back in '85.

8. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (02-11-2013)

Salukifan2

No, but most of the posters on this board respect the new advanced stats more than the old school stats. Even still magee lead the league in hitting that season and stole over 50 bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    No, but most of the posters on this board respect the new advanced stats more than the old school stats. Even still magee lead the league in hitting that season and stole over 50 bases.
    Awesome, thanks for setting me straight.

11. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (02-11-2013)

Salukifan2

Awesome, thanks for setting me straight.
    It was my pleasure

Foster's '77 season was one for the books. He just never cooled off all year. It was the best power season I'd seen. I think he had 2 red seat shots at old Riverfront and broke an OF scoreboard in Phily. He was awesome.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Foster's '77 season was one for the books. He just never cooled off all year. It was the best power season I'd seen. I think he had 2 red seat shots at old Riverfront and broke an OF scoreboard in Phily. He was awesome.
    I was lucky enough to play at George Foster's table at the Redsfest Celebrity Poker Tournament. He was extremely gracious, funny and talkative at the table, and an all around nice guy. Like most of the celebrities, I am pretty sure he was not interested in playing poker that long, and moreover, if you knocked any of the celebrities out, you got a signed jersey from them. This created a situation where he had a lot of incentive to go all in, and people had an incentive to call him. However, for the first few hands, he could not lose, and hilariously ended up quadrupling his stack. (He busted several minutes later.)

The main reason I bring this up is that while this was happening I said something like, "This is the hold 'em equivalent of 52 home runs--are you ever going to cool down?" I didn't feel like people at the table thought it was very funny, so I'm hoping people here will appreciate it more.

15. Likes:

Hap (02-11-2013),RichRed (02-11-2013),VR (02-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If memory is accurate ( a very big "if"), as I recall Foster's '77 season it wasn't a streaky season where he hit a lot of HRs in bunches and then cooled off for a while. I recall it as being a season where like clockwork he hit a HR every third game or so, just boom-boom-boom all season long.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?