Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chase Headley

Chase Headley

Its a little slow right now so I thought I would throw this out there, reports are that the Padres are not going to be able to sign Chase Headley long term and will probably look to deal him soon. Jim Bowden of course listed us as a possible trade partner for the Padres, he suggested we trade Frazier and Hamilton. I would much rather keep Hamilton and with Headley making $8.75M this year we would have to clear some payroll to make this happen.
    So what do you think of Bailey and Frazier for Headley?

This might seem a little steep but remember were talking about a switch hitting 3B who will probably hit 30+ HRs in GABP. Frazier played great last year but he may come back down to earth this year. Bailey is getting expensive and we have a lot of SP depth so trading him shouldn't hurt us to bad.

2. Likes:

Kc61 (02-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chase Headley

I bet if Chase Headley gets traded, he'll end up in Seattle.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think Leake, one of Corcino/ Cingrani, and Frazier gets that deal done-- and I would love to make that deal.

The Pads need pitching badly. Two league average pitchers with upside (Leake and Corcino/ Cingrani) and a 3B replacement-- all of whom are fairly young and cheap but ready now-- has to be enticing.

Headley, as a switch-hitter, would be ideal for this lineup, both now and in the future (assuming he signs):

Choo CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Headley 3B
    Bruce RF
    Ludwick LF
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan C

That might be a better lineup than St. Louis.

I'm keeping Bailey. We have endured so much of his growing pains and now that he is finally putting it all together, somebody else can be traded.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

7. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (02-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'm keeping Bailey. We have endured so much of his growing pains and now that he is finally putting it all together, somebody else can be traded.
    See I specifically try to avoid thinking like that. I'm all about what can you do for me going forward, and at what price. Of course you want to treat guys right so future players will want to sign.

But just because the team has been patient thru Bailey's struggles doesn't mean I think they should make it a point to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    The biggest reason I included bailey was to help balance out Headleys salaray, looks like Baileys going to make around 5M so I'm not sure how you get Headley without trading bailey or someone making at least as much as he is.

Love Headley, but can't see the team winning the division without Bailey.

It should also be noted that Headley is entering his age 29 season and has OPS'd over .800 exactly once.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    It should also be noted that Headley is entering his age 29 season and has OPS'd over .800 exactly once.
    In fairness to him, Petco is crazy hard to hit in.

I doubt we go for it if we have to give up Bailey, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Its a little slow right now so I thought I would throw this out there, reports are that the Padres are not going to be able to sign Chase Headley long term and will probably look to deal him soon. Jim Bowden of course listed us as a possible trade partner for the Padres, he suggested we trade Frazier and Hamilton. I would much rather keep Hamilton and with Headley making $8.75M this year we would have to clear some payroll to make this happen.
    So what do you think of Bailey and Frazier for Headley?

This might seem a little steep but remember were talking about a switch hitting 3B who will probably hit 30+ HRs in GABP. Frazier played great last year but he may come back down to earth this year. Bailey is getting expensive and we have a lot of SP depth so trading him shouldn't hurt us to bad.
    Never liked Bowden. I hear him on mlbnetwork.radio frequently, and he is often off his rocker with his trade suggestions. Offering Hamilton and Frazier would be absurd. You don't trade your #1 prospect without getting one heckuva return, and Headley is nowhere near enough. Seems to me the Reds have setup CF to be claimed by Hamilton in 2014, and they aren't going to part with him easily.

Perhaps trade suggestions like this one are the reason "Leatherpant" isn't likely to ever sniff a GM position again.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    See I specifically try to avoid thinking like that. I'm all about what can you do for me going forward, and at what price. Of course you want to treat guys right so future players will want to sign.

But just because the team has been patient thru Bailey's struggles doesn't mean I think they should make it a point to keep him.
    With Bailey, though, his struggles might make him more cost-effective going forward. At least, it seems like his early difficulties would help keep his salary down during his remaining arbitration years, such that it would be to the Reds' benefit to "reward" Baily by keeping him around.

Admittedly, however, I'm not too familiar with how much weight the arbitration process gives to earlier seasons, and so perhaps it's not particularly relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    With Bailey, though, his struggles might make him more cost-effective going forward. At least, it seems like his early difficulties would help keep his salary down during his remaining arbitration years, such that it would be to the Reds' benefit to "reward" Baily by keeping him around.

Admittedly, however, I'm not too familiar with how much weight the arbitration process gives to earlier seasons, and so perhaps it's not particularly relevant.
    As I said in my post cost going forward does matter.

I just don't think that just because the Reds had patience while Bailey "struggled" the Reds should let that influence whether or not to keep him.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Not going to happen, nor should it.

A one year rental finds us next season without a 3B or a CF (lead-of hitter).

Unless you think this year is the Reds only shot at a WS, or that the Reds will pay $15M+ per year to sign him long term, this would be a foolish move on the Reds part.

I think the moment to deal for Headley was before his career year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    In fairness to him, Petco is crazy hard to hit in.

I doubt we go for it if we have to give up Bailey, though.
    His stats show this too. His career OPS+ is 115, and his career road OPS is .836. His last 2 years his OPS+ was 120 and 144, and his road OPS was .864 and .937. Getting out of Petco would be the best thing that ever happened to him.

With that said, it would depend on the deal. These threads are always tough considering we have no idea what it would actually take.

Turn Off Ads?