Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chase Headley

Re: Chase Headley

I agree with Dunners original proposition except I would think Homer and a lower tier prospect could get it done in terms of talent for talent.

Homer would have to be the key piece if the money/team payroll is where we all roughly understand it to be. If there is a windfall that could allow us to keep HB and CH then I agree with the poster who offered Frazier and the prospects.

At the end of the day I think we have enough pitching depth and enough offensive need to warrant a trade from the former to cement the latter. It's not that I don't value Homer I just think adding Headly to this lineup, in this ballpark, for the next few years would put us over the top.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Love Headley, but can't see the team winning the division without Bailey.
    I can. And winning it fairly easily too.

Doubt the Reds would make the deal anyway. Got to believe the Yankees, Mariners and Dodgers would be bidding hard on Headley.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wouldnt give up any of our 6 starters for him or Billy. I wonder if the Pads want Major Leaguers or farm system guys. They probably want to steer clear of our guys after the Grandal incident anyways
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Not going to happen, nor should it.

A one year rental finds us next season without a 3B or a CF (lead-of hitter).

Unless you think this year is the Reds only shot at a WS, or that the Reds will pay $15M+ per year to sign him long term, this would be a foolish move on the Reds part.
    This.

Reds couldn't afford to sign him. And when he went elsewhere, they'd be without a 3B if they trade Frazier to get him.

Reds are up against it financially with all these arbitration cases to settle.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    It should also be noted that Headley is entering his age 29 season and has OPS'd over .800 exactly once.
    Others have pointed out his road/home splits, but in particular look at his road OPS the last two years: .864 in 2011, .936 in 2012. I like that trend. Especially seeing how he hit in the second half, a road OPS near 1.000 isn't merely a possibility, but a likelihood.

My guess is that the ship has sailed on getting Headley. The Padres are bringing in the fences, and if he gets off to a good start, I can see Josh Byrnes relenting and paying him the money he wants in a long-term deal. If not, I doubt he gets traded mid-season. With the new CBA, the Pads probably won't get value in trade offers and are better off making him a qualifying offer and getting picks.
    Stick to your guns.

I think Frazier is thee years younger, with the same potential. I don't make trades for what i already have, especially when it costs me more.

I see Headley/Frazier as a lateral move talent wise. Both have reputations as good clubhouse guys so again, lateral move. But then to give up Bailey? Pass.

I looked at Headley's splits over the last 4 years, individually. And it seems he got interesting the year he turned 27. Frazier turns 26 tomorrow. younger, cheaper, under team control. A team that has significant contracts with 3 position players: Votto, BP and Bruce. Cueto has a LTC, Ludwicks 2 year deal isn't exactly cheap. The Reds need to maximize value where it can, and locking up Latos is more a priority than trading for an expensive older version of Todd Frazier.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-11-2013)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'm keeping Bailey. We have endured so much of his growing pains and now that he is finally putting it all together, somebody else can be traded.
    Same here. I'm in no hurry to trade him. We would regret it and be a pitcher short in the starting rotation if there's an injury or something. No thanks.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Not sold on Frazier but I agree that re-signing Headley is unlikely. With that in mind, I pass. I explore signing Latos and/or Bailey long term before I trade any pitching.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100161

Posting the thread instead of the report...

Frazier's comp? Headley.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?