Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Success of this Season hinges on ______

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Success of this Season hinges on ______

Fill in the blank. No more than three words.

I'll start:

FRAZIER AND COZART.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: The Success of this Season hinges on ______

Pitching, as usual.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

3. Likes:

Cursh14 (02-11-2013)

Health
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

5. Likes:

M2 (02-10-2013),OGB (02-10-2013),Revering4Blue (02-10-2013),R_Webb18 (02-09-2013),Scrap Irony (02-10-2013),SirFelixCat (02-09-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Health
    This.

The bull pen

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Joey Votto's knee

9. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-09-2013),Red Raindog (02-09-2013),reds1869 (02-10-2013),Unassisted (02-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Joey Votto's knee
    This. If Votto isn't Votto, we are screwed.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Fill in the blank. No more than three words.
    The Success of this Season hinges on ... making the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    This. If Votto isn't Votto, we are screwed.
    I disagree.

Everyone would agree that if Votto had been 100% all season the Reds would've won more regular season games. But, if Votto had been 100% in October would they have made it farther in the playoffs? It's easy to say yes but, in reality, it's an impossible question. In a short series anything can happen. Maybe we'll catch a lucky break when the ball is hit right to a Reds defender and a scoring opportunity for a playoff opponent turns into a double play momentum changing play. And maybe that ball will be hit just beyond the Reds defender and it's the start of a really bad inning in the playoffs.

It's at least debatable that how good the best 3 starting pitchers are in October (whether it's Cueto, Latos, Bailey or Cueto, Latos, Chapman) could matter more than if Votto is 100% or 80% in October.

The Reds have a lot of good and really good players and one great player. Would having no great players but one more really good player matter more than if the starting pitching delivers when it matters? If the starting pitching can stay healthy when we need them to be? If the defense downgrade of Choo in center and Frazier at 3rd will hurt them too much on a team that's been built around defense?

There's probably alot of questions that can be thrown out there about the fortunes of the 2013 Cincinnati Reds. But, if the 2013 Cincinnati Reds don't make the playoffs I doubt many people will be calling the season a success.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    The Success of this Season hinges on ... making the playoffs.

I disagree.

Everyone would agree that if Votto had been 100% all season the Reds would've won more regular season games. But, if Votto had been 100% in October would they have made it farther in the playoffs? It's easy to say yes but, in reality, it's an impossible question. In a short series anything can happen. Maybe we'll catch a lucky break when the ball is hit right to a Reds defender and a scoring opportunity for a playoff opponent turns into a double play momentum changing play. And maybe that ball will be hit just beyond the Reds defender and it's the start of a really bad inning in the playoffs.

It's at least debatable that how good the best 3 starting pitchers are in October (whether it's Cueto, Latos, Bailey or Cueto, Latos, Chapman) could matter more than if Votto is 100% or 80% in October.

The Reds have a lot of good and really good players and one great player. Would having no great players but one more really good player matter more than if the starting pitching delivers when it matters? If the starting pitching can stay healthy when we need them to be? If the defense downgrade of Choo in center and Frazier at 3rd will hurt them too much on a team that's been built around defense?

There's probably alot of questions that can be thrown out there about the fortunes of the 2013 Cincinnati Reds. But, if the 2013 Cincinnati Reds don't make the playoffs I doubt many people will be calling the season a success.
    Well, sure, I doubt you'll get much disagreement that the success of the season depends on being a playoff team. I'd take it a step further and say a deep run in the playoffs. A Division Series loss won't hack it. Playoffs and playoffs wins are the result of the things discussed in this thread.

This all an interesting discussion and I'm sure a successful rotation, a good bullpen, a productive bench, and a good starting 8 all play into success , but I just don't see the Reds making a deep playoff run if Votto doesn't resume his near-MVP form. I think every elite team needs a elite player to anchor the lineup. Maybe lots of good players will work, but I think the odds of success are much higher with Joey being his normal potent self.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

True, it has been awhile since the Reds won a playoff series. Although Dustys decisions have already been pointed out as a factor. So, maybe the (3 word) answer should be 'Votto and Dusty'.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Well, sure, I doubt you'll get much disagreement that the success of the season depends on being a playoff team. I'd take it a step further and say a deep run in the playoffs. A Division Series loss won't hack it. Playoffs and playoffs wins are the result of the things discussed in this thread.

This all an interesting discussion and I'm sure a successful rotation, a good bullpen, a productive bench, and a good starting 8 all play into success , but I just don't see the Reds making a deep playoff run if Votto doesn't resume his near-MVP form. I think every elite team needs a elite player to anchor the lineup. Maybe lots of good players will work, but I think the odds of success are much higher with Joey being his normal potent self.

Joey Votto's knee
    And Cueto's back.

I'm optimistic, but honestly, I'm very nervous about both of these.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Joey Votto's knee
    This.

The 2013 Reds are loaded with enough pitching to sustain a number of starting/bullpen setbacks, experiments and tweaks. But I'm afraid the offense couldn't handle another 2 months without Joe Votto. A full season of prime Votto makes them the best team in baseball.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Joey Votto's knee
    You stole my answer!

Other choice: Brian Price's awesomeness (IMO, he's the glue for our pitching staff and it's success this year)
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    You stole my answer!

Other choice: Brian Price's awesomeness (IMO, he's the glue for our pitching staff and it's success this year)
    I just feel we can overcome just about anything, but if Joeys knee is like gumby all year it could be a long summer!

Joey Votto's knee
    You could use that answer for this.... The Success of the next decade hinges on ______
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Turn Off Ads?