Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 2/12

Birthdays: 2/12

Reds:

Todd Frazier (26) -If I were him, I'd be begging to be tried at shortstop this spring...if he could play the position even half-decently he'd have this club made.

Dave Revering (59) -Part of the Vida Blue trade that Bowie Kuhn vetoed, that would have made the Reds probably the best team of all time. But I'm not bitter...

Chick Hafey -Spent the bulk of his career as a Cardinal, then joined the Reds in the early thirties. A terrific hitter in spite of having terrible eyesight. Became a Hall of Famer during the period when Frankie Frisch dominated the Veteran's Committee and was inducting his old teamates by the carload. He had big stats, but a shortish career for a HOFer, and he only finished in the top 10 in MVP voting once- that doesn't sound like a Hall of Famer to me.

Others:

Don Stanhouse (61) -Closer for some of Earl Weaver's Oriole clubs. Weaver called him "Fullpack" because Earl would smoke a whole pack of cigarettes while watching Stanhouse struggle to close the deal on a save. The last couple of years, I've felt like Coco Cordero was a Stanhouse for the new millennium.

Enzo Hernandez (63) -My favorite baseball stat: 1971- Enzo had 618 PAs and only 12 RBIs. Twelve!!!

Lenny Randle (63) -Known for being the first American to play professionally in Italy, for punching his manager, and for attempting to blow a rolling bunt foul.

Joe Garagiola (86) -I noticed that he didn't show up at the "Today Show" 60th anniversary show. I hope he's OK. His book Baseball Is A Funny Game was a favorite of mine as a kid.

Dom DiMaggio -Passed away in 2009 at age 92 after a long, happy life and career both on and off the diamond.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 2/12

Enzo Hernandez may have been the worst lead-off hitter, ever.

I hope Garagiola is OK. One of my all time favorites. He still does a few games for the D-Backs telecasts when Mark Grace is away doing FOX games. He's still a pleasure to listen to.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I hope Garagiola is OK. One of my all time favorites. He still does a few games for the D-Backs telecasts when Mark Grace is away doing FOX games. He's still a pleasure to listen to.
    I'm hoping that he is doing OK as well. I first heard him as part of the Cardinals KMOX radio team in the 1950s which consisted of Harry Caray, Jack Buck and Joe. He was very entertaining to listen to.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Joe Garagiola (86) -I noticed that he didn't show up at the "Today Show" 60th anniversary show. I hope he's OK. His book Baseball Is A Funny Game was a favorite of mine as a kid.
    Well, Joe celebrates his birthday today...he is now 87. Not sure about his health.

One of many quotes of his that I like:

Garagiola grew up in the Italian-American neighborhood in St. Louis known as 'The Hill' and one of his childhood friends and competitors was Yogi Berra who lived just a few doors down. Joe's quote was: "Not only was I not the best catcher in the Major Leagues, I wasn't even the best catcher on my street."

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Dave Revering (59) -Part of the Vida Blue trade that Bowie Kuhn vetoed, that would have made the Reds probably the best team of all time. But I'm not bitter...

[
    And, who know how many more years Sparky would have managed the Reds. (Fired after that 1978 season)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Well, Joe celebrates his birthday today...he is now 87. Not sure about his health.

One of many quotes of his that I like:

Garagiola grew up in the Italian-American neighborhood in St. Louis known as 'The Hill' and one of his childhood friends and competitors was Yogi Berra who lived just a few doors down. Joe's quote was: "Not only was I not the best catcher in the Major Leagues, I wasn't even the best catcher on my street."
    At the end of last season he was still doing fine. He did a few games on TV for D'Backs. One of those was the last weekend of the season. Still a pleasure to listen to when he does these games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?