Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Campana DFA'd

Re: Tony Campana DFA'd

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Campana still has two options left, which could come in hady. I'd love to have him, but who do you take off the roster to make it happen?
    I'd swap out Pedro Villarreal for Campana without thinking twice. I don't see a major-league future for Villarreal. Campana's not likely to ever be a regular, but he can definitely do things. He always worried me when he came to the plate for the Cubs. The guy is crazy fast, and he's the type of player who knows how to use his speed. And while I wouldn't be upset about losing Villarreal, I'd venture that there's a very good chance he could clear waivers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs Designate Tony Campana For Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Would you Dfa Xavier Paul to make room for him?
    There's a parallel thread going on . . . but no, I wouldn't DFA Paul. I'd DFA Pedro Villarreal.

Seems like a good player to have down in Louisville. If the Reds want to give Hamilton more time in CF and Choo has problems in CF, then moving Ludwick to the bench and Campana to CF is not too terrible. Having Ludwick's bat coming off the bench would surely be a HUGE improvement over anything that was on the bench last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Seems like a good player to have down in Louisville. If the Reds want to give Hamilton more time in CF and Choo has problems in CF, then moving Ludwick to the bench and Campana to CF is not too terrible. Having Ludwick's bat coming off the bench would surely be a HUGE improvement over anything that was on the bench last year.
    Blech! Stashing him in Louisville is one thing, but I don't want any part of Campana as a starter - especially at the cost of Ludwick or Choo's bat.

I was trying to figure out what a motivational speaker was doing on the baseball board. I need to read closer.

"Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The magical pull of the local player, many a symphony in Reds baseball history is focused on that one note.
    Tony's a workhorse, plus maybe being in Dusty's clubhouse is just what he needs as a young ballplayer. I consider playing for the team you grew up watching to be a great motivator, a real dream come true.

Who knows what it could do to the bat. Like it was stated earlier, his first hit and HR were in Cincinnati. Seems like his bat finds leather when he's in town.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Huh?

.262 career batting average in 184 games is bad?

Yes, his OBP is only slightly better than Stubbs as he rarely takes a walk...........but.......
    Yes, a .262 BA is bad, when it's not supported by any on base skills.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    No. Absolutely not. No more "hustlers", that play the game "like Pete Rose used to". I don't care that he is a local kid, I don't care that he went to UC. NO NO NO!!!!
    He is more than just a hustle guy, he has 54 SB in 347 PA. Yes he only has a .262 career average but the MLB average was .254 last season. So he is an average hitter with GREAT wheels

It would be great to have that kind of speed on the bench late in a game when you are down by only one run. Plus Choo will need to be sub'ed for defense late in some games. (unless Bruce is moved to CF and Choo to RF)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Yes, a .262 BA is bad, when it's not supported by any on base skills.
    MLB average last season

.254 AVG
    .319 OBP

Tony Campana's career numbers
    .262 AVG
    .306 OBP

So he is an average hitter not a bad hitter, but he is one of the fastest players in baseball. He was 9th in the league in stolen bases last season while only getting 174 At Bats

The average At Bats for others in the top 9 in SB last season was 495

And we are not taking about the Chris Sabo school of base stealing where you run all the time because you might be safe, Tony was 30 for 33 last season (91%)

Great speed off the bench could very well be the last piece to the puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    You would bench Ludwick because someone else is having issues? If Choo can not handle CF you swap Choo & Bruce in the outfield
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 02-11-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Pass

The Reds already have two speedy CF types in the upper minor leagues (Hamilton and Lamarre), and both of those guys bring things to the table that Campana does not.

12. Likes:

LoganBuck (02-11-2013),Nasty_Boy (02-11-2013),OnBaseMachine (02-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    MLB average last season

.254 AVG
    .319 OBP

Tony Campana's career numbers
    .262 AVG
    .306 OBP

So he is an average hitter not a bad hitter
    His career 67 OPS+ says otherwise.

Also, those MLB averages include the atrocious numbers from pitchers, catchers, and shortstops league-wide. You should be comparing Camapana to other outfielders, where his numbers look even worse.

14. Likes:

LoganBuck (02-11-2013),mth123 (02-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Tony's a workhorse, plus maybe being in Dusty's clubhouse is just what he needs as a young ballplayer. I consider playing for the team you grew up watching to be a great motivator, a real dream come true.

Who knows what it could do to the bat. Like it was stated earlier, his first hit and HR were in Cincinnati. Seems like his bat finds leather when he's in town.
    That's a real nice sounding story, but being in Dusty's clubhouse is not going to change his wet noodle of a bat into a Louisville Slugger. Taveras, Patterson, Stubbs, Hopper, etc. have all been the speedy guy that Cincy people thought would put it together for Dusty or in GABP. There are guys in the organization that have his run tool and provide the D, along with a respectable stick. Campana is the kind of low upside player that the Reds need to stay away from.

16. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (02-12-2013),LoganBuck (02-11-2013)

I would think the taint of not being able to find a place on a last place team's roster would be enough.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

18. Likes:

919191 (02-11-2013),Caveat Emperor (02-11-2013),Chip R (02-11-2013),westofyou (02-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    His career 67 OPS+ says otherwise.

Also, those MLB averages include the atrocious numbers from pitchers, catchers, and shortstops league-wide. You should be comparing Camapana to other outfielders, where his numbers look even worse.
    121 players played OF and had at bats in the NL last season

the Batting Average for these hitters was .263
    the On Base Percentage for these hitters was .336

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 02-11-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    121 players played OF and had at bats in the NL last season

the Batting Average for these hitters was .263
    the On Base Percentage for these hitters was .336

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0
    Why do you keep including BA and omitting SLG? BA is included in OBP, there is no need to list it twice. To get the complete picture of his offensive profile, you should omit BA and show OBP and SLG.

Regardless, his only offensive value is his ability to wreak havoc on the basepaths and as your numbers just showed, he is about 30 points below the league average when it comes to getting on base. Add in the fact that he is probably 100 points below the league average SLG and he is an abysmal offensive player. Far from average.

Turn Off Ads?