Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Campana DFA'd

Re: Tony Campana DFA'd

one game. I'm just saying, the same argument about getting stronger was made about Campana, and that we should temper our enthusiasm towards Hamilton a bit.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Campana is a useful 5th OF.

There's not many backup CF that have both OBP and SLG (otherwise, they'd start).

If we didn't have Heisey, it would be a great idea to pick him up.
    Since we have Heisey, and someone is likely to guarantee Campana a roster spot as a 5th OF.. it just doesn't seem like a good fit.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    one game. I'm just saying, the same argument about getting stronger was made about Campana, and that we should temper our enthusiasm towards Hamilton a bit.
    Hamilton is 4 inches taller than Campana and 3 years younger though. Plus Campana's scouting reports all say he's fast and that's it

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-princely-cub/

According to the scout, Campana “has a chance to be better than a 4A guy, but he will have a tough time sticking as a true fourth outfielder for a championship club.”
    An Hamilton has this:

http://projectprospect.com/article/2...couting-report

Hamilton has an above average chance to become an impact major leaguer who can change the game with his speed, but his impact with the bat will be determined by how he adjusts when more advanced pitchers constantly try to expand the zone with two strikes.

Sure it's a bet, no one contends that it is a sure thing, but as far as betting on Campana I'd knock, and I wouldn't think that the odds were equal if Hamilton was the one I was betting on.

I have this theory about scouting publications. They tend to sometimes overhype the the more well known prospects, especially in this internet age where each group is clamoring for visits. and dollars. I could be wrong about that, but it SEEMS like with all the new sites, the hype machine is in full bore.

Yes, Hamilton is three years younger, and he is taller. but Campana was once young and showing some OBP skills. I think Campana can be a decent 4th OF, but not for the Reds. And I think he'll get picked up in the next week or two. just my opinion.

Hamilton may never hit 10 HR's in a season, and GABP is not a great doubles park. He may struggle. or he might not. But at one time, somebody saw Campana and a .340 OBP, his speed and thought leadoff hitter for the next decade.

ok, just for argument's sake... Is Billy Hamilton?

He couldn't drive a ball through wet cardboard. His SLG is all speed based, turning singles into doubles, doubles into triples. He's what Taveras should have been, and likely what Walt thought he was.

Campana had a decent OBP in the minors. not fantastic, but decent. Hamilton's has fluctuated, but he is coming off a tremendous season.

Just food for thought. Feel free to tear into me on this point.
    It is a good question. There are definitely similarities between Hamilton and Campana. They are good and bad in the same categories. Hopefully Hamilton will be much better than Campana in those categories and there is plenty of reason to believe he will be.

I think Hamilton will hit a lot more doubles and triples than Campana for one thing. The key will be Hamilton's OBP. If he tops out at .306 like Campana has then Hamilton will be a huge liability just like Campana is. In my opinion, Hamilton will deliver a .350+ OBP because he is just a better hitter than Campana and is much more able to work a walk.

To me the stolen bases will be an exciting distraction and won't add a huge amount of value to his game. Stolen bases just are not terribly valuable unless you have a fantastic success rate.

Hamilton is likely to be a good player, but not a great one. To be a great player he will need a .400+ OBP because of his lack of power.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5464864.story

Tony Campana was traded to Arizona for two pitching prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5464864.story

Tony Campana was traded to Arizona for two pitching prospects.
    Seems like a good fit. He's the type of player the D'backs will be losing with the next couple of years. Probably better than many. He should compete for playing time.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

9. Likes:

traderumor (02-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Seems like a good fit. He's the type of player the D'backs will be losing with the next couple of years. Probably better than many. He should compete for playing time.
    The Dbacks seem to be using the Cubs basement refinishing model, don't they?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Dbacks seem to be using the Cubs basement refinishing model, don't they?
    Not sure i agree with that. They upgraded 3B, have a nice rotation and bullpen. Signed hill to a decent contract, and BTW, an argument can be made he was the best offensive 2B in the NL last year. Montero has been great the last two seasons. I see no visible difference between Kubel and our own Ryan Ludwick. They have a few holes, but they are fixable.

Sleeper team in the NL, without a doubt.

I've been looking them over... and they are changing my initial opinion of them.

I am surprised the Cubs released him. He is the type of player who if he can put his bat on the ball is dangerous. A .308 OBP isn't good by any stretch, but if you can use him as defensive replacement or a pinch runner he could be an asset. Its not like he is Taveras or Patterson bad.

Not sure i agree with that. They upgraded 3B, have a nice rotation and bullpen. Signed hill to a decent contract, and BTW, an argument can be made he was the best offensive 2B in the NL last year. Montero has been great the last two seasons. I see no visible difference between Kubel and our own Ryan Ludwick. They have a few holes, but they are fixable.

Sleeper team in the NL, without a doubt.

I've been looking them over... and they are changing my initial opinion of them.
    Sleeper or asleep? Always nice to throw out a bad team on paper and predict great things, but here's what they have:

Prado-3b
    Hill-2b
    Kubel-LF
    Ross-RF
    Montero-C
    Goldschmidt-1B
    Eaton/Parra-CF
    Pennington/Bloomquist/Gregorious-SS

That is a lineup that will struggle to score runs, very thin in power and even worse speed.

Rotation: Kennedy, McCarthy, Cahill, Miley, and ?????? Hudson coming off TJ surgery, McCarthy coming off a line drive to the head, so who knows how he'll react.
    Bullpen: Putz, Hernandez, Bell and worse from there

They are gonna be in a dogfight with Colorado for the basement. A clear rebuild. Maybe they'll be the April surprise and get eveyone excited. Gotta have one of them every year.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its not like he is Taveras or Patterson bad.
    Patterson has 4400 lifetime PAs, Taveras 2600, Tony has 155 and will be 27 in May, he'll never get 1000 PAs in his career is my bet

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am surprised the Cubs released him. He is the type of player who if he can put his bat on the ball is dangerous. A .308 OBP isn't good by any stretch, but if you can use him as defensive replacement or a pinch runner he could be an asset. Its not like he is Taveras or Patterson bad.
    He could only hope to be Taveras or Patterson.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Sleeper or asleep? Always nice to throw out a bad team on paper and predict great things, but here's what they have:

Prado-3b
    Hill-2b
    Kubel-LF
    Ross-RF
    Montero-C
    Goldschmidt-1B
    Eaton/Parra-CF
    Pennington/Bloomquist/Gregorious-SS

That is a lineup that will struggle to score runs, very thin in power and even worse speed.

Rotation: Kennedy, McCarthy, Cahill, Miley, and ?????? Hudson coming off TJ surgery, McCarthy coming off a line drive to the head, so who knows how he'll react.
    Bullpen: Putz, Hernandez, Bell and worse from there

They are gonna be in a dogfight with Colorado for the basement. A clear rebuild. Maybe they'll be the April surprise and get eveyone excited. Gotta have one of them every year.
    Hill is better offensively than every 2B in the NL. All of them. Prado finally gets to settle in at one position and Kubel as i said is easily as good as Ludwick, and he's a little younger. that's three guys that can and will hit 30+HR's this year. I don't like Ross, never have, but he fits the manager's mold of "gamer". Adam Eaton... I just looked at his minor league numbers. Yes.. PCL.. blah blah.. grain of salt. Career minor league numbers 1451 PA's, .456 OBP. drool.

It's a good mix of veterans, defense and youth. Leadership in Prado (whom Atlanta will miss greatly) Ross and Kubel, Excellent offense up the middle.

Serious sleeper team. might contend this year if the SP holds, if not, then soon after. The SP to me is the question. I love the potential of this offense.

Hill is better offensively than every 2B in the NL. All of them. Prado finally gets to settle in at one position and Kubel as i said is easily as good as Ludwick, and he's a little younger. that's three guys that can and will hit 30+HR's this year. I don't like Ross, never have, but he fits the manager's mold of "gamer". Adam Eaton... I just looked at his minor league numbers. Yes.. PCL.. blah blah.. grain of salt. Career minor league numbers 1451 PA's, .456 OBP. drool.

It's a good mix of veterans, defense and youth. Leadership in Prado (whom Atlanta will miss greatly) Ross and Kubel, Excellent offense up the middle.

Serious sleeper team. might contend this year if the SP holds, if not, then soon after. The SP to me is the question. I love the potential of this offense.
    Who are your 3 locks for 30 home runs? I don't see a strong case for that looking at their roster but feel free to explain.

Turn Off Ads?