Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Were we wrong about JJ Hoover?

Were we wrong about JJ Hoover?

After a VERY promising 2012 season and a stellar spring training, many of us were clamoring for Hoover to break with the team. That said, so far in 2013 Hoover has not been throwing well despite being consistently worked so far this season. Is he just running into bad luck? Making bad pitches? His velocity still looks good, but he's getting hit hard and often.

Thoughts?

-Matt

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Were we wrong about JJ Hoover?

Just as it was way too early to go all in with the accolades on this guy, it might be too early to write him off as well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't know if we were wrong. Sean Marshall finished up April looking terrible last season. He seemed to turn out just fine by the end of the season.

Right now, Hoover is not pitching well. He is missing his spots. He was never a big command guy, but he is missing over the middle of the plate right now. That isn't going to be successful for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Just as it was way too early to go all in with the accolades on this guy, it might be too early to write him off as well.
    He's done too well for me to write him off. Im not suggesting that by any means...I just think some AAA time wouldn't have been the end of the world. Of course, that means Ondrusek would have been on the team from the get-go, so I also would have picked Hoover.

If we thought Hoover was going to be a perfect reliever, we were wrong.

He's had a bad stretch. He may even wind up at AAA again. But it's much too soon to reach any overall conclusion.

Well so far in 3 of the Reds 5 losses Hoover has some pretty big blame. Giving up the runs like he has is absolutely maddening.

It may be early but I'm sure if I was in the Reds clubhouse I'd be pretty upset with him.

I really hope Dusty has learned his lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post

Which lesson? Pitching Hoover?
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Which lesson? Pitching Hoover?
    Correct. Hoover has stunk in every close game he has been put in. So what does Dusty do?

He promptly puts his worse reliever in after the Reds clawed their way back to tie it.

????

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't think we were wrong. I think he was heavily over-used in the first week and his results were overblown because of it. I think it's hurt his confidence. Tonight he gives up a bomb to McCutchen. Hardly a scrub. But on top of everything else that's happened so far this early in the season to JJ...the following pitches tonight were due to him being shaken. Just my take.

I'd suggest they send him down for a while to rebuild his confidence as that's the biggest thing he's struggling with. His stuff is fine. But letting him struggle this much up here is possibly going to do permanent damage to his psyche. Set him down, send him down, and settle him down. He'll be back.

Correct. Hoover has stunk in every close game he has been put in. So what does Dusty do?

He promptly puts his worse reliever in after the Reds clawed their way back to tie it.
    Ah, I see. It's a fair point. Not that Dusty shouldn't be pitching Hoover; agree way to soon and unfair to draw that conclusion. But maybe not the best choice tonight given the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    ????
    I guess you didn't read the rest of my post? I'm not sure what the ???? are for, my complaint was pretty clearly about Dusty putting in Hoover, who has been awful this year and was the LAST guy he should have put in when the Reds finally tied it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't think we were wrong. I think he was heavily over-used in the first week and his results were overblown because of it. I think it's hurt his confidence. Tonight he gives up a bomb to McCutchen. Hardly a scrub. But on top of everything else that's happened so far this early in the season to JJ...the following pitches tonight were due to him being shaken. Just my take.

I'd suggest they send him down for a while to rebuild his confidence as that's the biggest thing he's struggling with. His stuff is fine. But letting him struggle this much up here is possibly going to do permanent damage to his psyche. Set him down, send him down, and settle him down. He'll be back.
    Then, don't use him. It's simple. The Reds have lost five games this year and Hoover is 0-3. It's not rocket science.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post? I'm not sure what the ???? are for, my complaint was pretty clearly about Dusty putting in Hoover, who has been awful this year and was the LAST guy he should have put in when the Reds finally tied it.
    Think your clarifying post and mutaman's ???? crossed with the same time stamp. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Ah, I see. It's a fair point. Not that Dusty shouldn't be pitching Hoover; agree way to soon and unfair to draw that conclusion. But maybe not the best choice tonight given the circumstances.
    I mean I don't think Hoover is useless, it's always good to have a mop-up guy for when you have a huge lead or are down by a bunch.

Still, people here are fooling themselves if they don't think there were Reds fans watching all over who said to themselves "Oh No, please not him!" when Hoover came in.

Turn Off Ads?