Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm guessing that is probably pretty low on the list, well after dollars and years. He can afford the full satellite package with Korean TV programming and a private chef to fix his favorite home cooked meals I imagine.
    Well, sure, if all he requires for cultural contact is food and tv...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Likes:

vaticanplum (03-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Remember how the Reds weren't able to keep Votto and Phillips? Oh, and how they were never in on the bidding for that hard throwing Cuban guy?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Remember that time the Reds told Shin Soo-Choo "I know you'd prefer to play RF and that you're not sure you can play CF, but this is where you're going to play because this is where we need you?"

Good times.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

dougdirt (03-21-2013),mattfeet (03-21-2013),RedEye (03-21-2013),reds44 (04-08-2013),RiverRat13 (03-21-2013),Tom Servo (03-21-2013)

I'm guessing that is probably pretty low on the list, well after dollars and years. He can afford the full satellite package with Korean TV programming and a private chef to fix his favorite home cooked meals I imagine.
    I agree. It's not as if Cleveland has a huge Korean popluation, and he seemed happy there (not that I can verify that, but he certainly didn't seem to be a malcontent).

If the guy wants his big payday in FA, I really can't blame him for that. He's patiently played by baseball's rules without complaining.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Remember the time Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl?

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-22-2013),Caveat Emperor (03-21-2013),dougdirt (03-21-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-21-2013),paintmered (03-22-2013),reds44 (04-08-2013),wolfboy (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Remember the time Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl?
    Boucher was juicing the whole time. I don't have any proof, but I know he was kicking back that Gatorade.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree. It's not as if Cleveland has a huge Korean popluation, and he seemed happy there (not that I can verify that, but he certainly didn't seem to be a malcontent).

If the guy wants his big payday in FA, I really can't blame him for that. He's patiently played by baseball's rules without complaining.
    Just because someone seems happy doesn't mean they couldn't happier with some familiarity around them. I'm not saying you are wrong -- and I agree that Choo seems like the kind of guy who doesn't complain.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Well, sure, if all he requires for cultural contact is food and tv...
    The point was that the idea is greatly overstating that need, as if his decision for the next contract is going to include at all which major league city has the most Koreans. I guess Mike Hampton did go on record once saying that his contract choice was heavily influenced by the area schools, and I really believed him then, too.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The point was that the idea is greatly overstating that need, as if his decision for the next contract is going to include at all which major league city has the most Koreans. I guess Mike Hampton did go on record once saying that his contract choice was heavily influenced by the area schools, and I really believed him then, too.
    I basically agree. Money does talk. I guess my only point was that, all else being equal, cultural factors might play in. Choo didn't have a choice where he played the first part of his career, so it seems plausible that if he has one this time, he might choose one of the coasts where there is more of an Asian population.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Gatoraaade.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Gatoraaade.
    H20!

jredmo2

When I think about Choo, I touch myself.

17. Likes:

BoydsOfSummer (03-25-2013),RichRed (04-08-2013)

great read on Choo...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...rst-impression

Todd Frazier should probably be called "Jersey Rube" after this one.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Every team has a budget and every team has limitations, especially those not on the coasts or a giant lake. Eventually the TV money will be spoken for, and depending on attendance in Cincinnati is a fools errand.
    Yeah, Cleveland sure has limitless potential since they're located on a giant lake...

I think this more has to do with metropolitan population. Does anyone think that the Reds could become the Cardinals, in terms of attendance? I do. I also believe the Reds could replicate the Indians sell-out streak, given the right amount of success.
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 04-01-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

6 games of Choo in CF, I am interested to hear what people think of his defense thus far? I would rate it as average, he has made the plays he should make, hasn't done much spectacular, and will make up for some lack of range with a cannon on other plays.

Thoughts?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

21. Likes:

Farnsie (04-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?