Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 172

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

  1. #1
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,801

    Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Im not comfortable there yet, he said. At the major league level, I played 99 percent of my games in right field. Ill try. Ill work on it this spring training. Well see how theyre thinking. If theyre not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field.

    Ill try the best I can.

    Choo knows there are doubters.

    A lot of people think I cant play there, he said.

    I think Sheldon posted this originally.

    http://redlegnation.com/2013/02/11/s...ading-into-st/

    -Matt

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,174

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    He doesn't sound confident at all in playing center. I see a 95% chance of Bruce playing there on opening day. He's no Stubbs as far as covering ground, but he's also not afraid of crashing into the wall. I think Bruce will be average, Choo would be below average.

  4. #3
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,048

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    I wonder if there were some translation issues in that interview. If what he meant what was quoted, I am starting to wonder about his heart. I would imagine Walt and Dusty told him since the day of the trade to do all he can to prepare to be our Opening Day centerfielder. Those quotes make it sound like he is apathetic for what is best for the team.

  5. #4
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    The unfamiliarity with CF and crashing into the wall is exactly what Reds fans need to fear if Jay Bruce ends up playing CF. He's a long term investment for this franchise. Choo is not, at this point. I hope Bruce is not in CF this season.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  6. #5
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,800

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I wonder if there were some translation issues in that interview. If what he meant what was quoted, I am starting to wonder about his heart. I would imagine Walt and Dusty told him since the day of the trade to do all he can to prepare to be our Opening Day centerfielder. Those quotes make it sound like he is apathetic for what is best for the team.
    He's being honest -- he's not comfortable there yet. He said he was going to try his best. Why does that make you question his heart?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  7. Likes:

    Brisco (02-12-2013), toledodan (02-11-2013)

  8. #6
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,048

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    He's being honest -- he's not comfortable there yet. He said he was going to try his best. Why does that make you question his heart?
    I just feel he should do all he can to make it happen. He almost seems defeated before he starts. "If theyre not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field." That doesn't seem like he has his heart in it and is very confident that it will get done. I do question if this perception could be caused by translation issues. I would just expect more of a quote of, "I have played 99% of my major league games in right, but I have been working every day in centerfield since the trade and I have seen good progress. I expect to get to the level my coaches are comfortable with by the end of spring training and I can't wait to play in centerfield on Opening Day."

  9. Likes:

    jmac (02-11-2013)

  10. #7
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,210

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I just feel he should do all he can to make it happen. He almost seems defeated before he starts. "If theyre not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field." That doesn't seem like he has his heart in it and is very confident that it will get done. I do question if this perception could be caused by translation issues. I would just expect more of a quote of, "I have played 99% of my major league games in right, but I have been working every day in centerfield since the trade and I have seen good progress. I expect to get to the level my coaches are comfortable with by the end of spring training and I can't wait to play in centerfield on Opening Day."
    Maybe he hasn't received this year's approved book of cliches'.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  11. Likes:

    BoxingRed (02-13-2013), Brisco (02-12-2013), camisadelgolf (02-11-2013), LexRedsFan (02-13-2013), MBZags (02-11-2013), TRF (02-13-2013)

  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,174

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Maybe he hasn't received this year's approved book of cliches'.

  13. #9
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    I see nothing wrong with the guy being honest about playing CF. He basically said he'd do his best but wasn't comfortable at this time.

    Nothing wrong with that.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  14. #10
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,048

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Maybe he hasn't received this year's approved book of cliches'.

    They are cliches for a reason. Those are things he should be doing to improve his game, to best fit this team. Just passively hoping that he will be good enough to play center or if not that the coaches will move him to a corner, just isn't good enough for me.

  15. #11
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,177

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I wonder if there were some translation issues in that interview. If what he meant what was quoted, I am starting to wonder about his heart. I would imagine Walt and Dusty told him since the day of the trade to do all he can to prepare to be our Opening Day centerfielder. Those quotes make it sound like he is apathetic for what is best for the team.
    Although I see nothing wrong with Choo's comments as translated, I'm sure there are nuances lost in translation.

    He very may well have said something like "I'll bust my butt in spring training, I'll give it all I've got, and the only way I'll quit is if they yank me."

    Choo has a reputation of being a gamer, so I think it's premature to question his attituted based on a few translated quotes.

  16. #12
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,048

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Although I see nothing wrong with Choo's comments as translated, I'm sure there are nuances lost in translation.

    He very may well have said something like "I'll bust my butt in spring training, I'll give it all I've got, and the only way I'll quit is if they yank me."

    Choo has a reputation of being a gamer, so I think it's premature to question his attituted based on a few translated quotes.
    That is why in my initial post I said I hope it is due to translation issues. The words at face value aren't exactly what I want to see from one of the most pivotal players on this team.

  17. #13
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,578

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Could be worse. He could have refused to move like another player on our team once did.

  18. Likes:

    Tommyjohn25 (02-11-2013), Unassisted (02-11-2013), wheels (02-11-2013)

  19. #14
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,453

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    If he keeps our expectations low, it will be easier to exceed them. Of course, keeping expectations low would also be a dubious choice on the eve of an arbitration hearing!
    /r/reds

  20. #15
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,048

    Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Could be worse. He could have refused to move like another player on our team once did.
    No doubt. These quotes just crushed a little of my optimism that Choo will be an average defensive centerfielder by Opening Day.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25