Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

little early to talk about 2014 imo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Choo's offense, and OBP will win us a heck of a lot more games than his defense will lose games.

He is a below average center fielder...I get that.

He is a above average lead-off hitter with some major power behind him in the line-up.

I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday....
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

4. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-08-2013)

I think Choo needs new sunglasses. Watching the replays, seems to me the sun got to him out there today. Maybe he is still uncomfortable in CF, bright sun, odd game time, all messed him up.

Guy is a terrific ballplayer and I'm sure he will play better defense going forward. Huge pickup for the Reds, he is in every rally, OBP so far is over.500, tremendous addition.

Just don't understand the NEED for Choo in CF now. Just b/c he played a Spring at the position?

Heisey, as the "everyday" replacement for Ludwick is the obvious choice once it is down to the 2 healthy guys.

Choo was to play CF out of necessity this season; that necessity no longer exists

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    Just don't understand the NEED for Choo in CF now. Just b/c he played a Spring at the position?

Heisey, as the "everyday" replacement for Ludwick is the obvious choice once it is down to the 2 healthy guys.

Choo was to play CF out of necessity this season; that necessity no longer exists
    Two things I can think of.

1. Reds looking to the second half when Ludwick will be back. Would like Choo comfortable in CF when the necessity returns.

2. Choo would also be uncomfortable in LF. His position is RF, which is occupied by Bruce.

I think today's problem was the sun. Let's give it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    6 games of Choo in CF, I am interested to hear what people think of his defense thus far? I would rate it as average, he has made the plays he should make, hasn't done much spectacular, and will make up for some lack of range with a cannon on other plays.

Thoughts?
    I don't think he sticks in center. He's not going to be very good there defensively.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

dougdirt (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Two things I can think of.

1. Reds looking to the second half when Ludwick will be back. Would like Choo comfortable in CF when the necessity returns.

2. Choo would also be uncomfortable in LF. His position is RF, which is occupied by Bruce.

I think today's problem was the sun. Let's give it some time.

The whole Torn Labrum thing makes the 2nd half assumption a big, big leap for me

Seriously, there's a huge difference between not getting to two balls in CF and dropping two balls in CF. As someone said earlier, he could have just as easily dropped those in RF. Drew Stubbs could have dropped those, and they still wouldn't make him a bad fielder.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

12. Likes:

Todd Gack (04-09-2013)

Don't forget the near-collision with Heisey as well. Something was going on today. My chips are on the sun reeking havoc, not that it is excusable.

I think it is completely fair to ask why Heisey (somebody who has played CF 1000% more than Choo) is playing LF while Choo is playing CF. If Ludwick was out for a couple weeks or a month, I could get it. However, Ludwick probably won't be back until August at the earliest. I don't think it is unfair at all to question why Choo is in CF.

I love Choo and I think his acquisition was great. If Ludwick were healthy, I would have no problem dealing with any defensive issues for his bat. However, the Reds don't need to deal with any defensive issues right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-09-2013),dougdirt (04-08-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (04-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think it is completely fair to ask why Heisey (somebody who has played CF 1000% more than Choo) is playing LF while Choo is playing CF. If Ludwick was out for a couple weeks or a month, I could get it. However, Ludwick probably won't be back until August at the earliest. I don't think it is unfair at all to question why Choo is in CF.

I love Choo and I think his acquisition was great. If Ludwick were healthy, I would have no problem dealing with any defensive issues for his bat. However, the Reds don't need to deal with any defensive issues right now.
    I am wondering if the FO is shopping around for deal on an outfielder and maintaining the status quo in the meantime. Otherwise playing with inferior defense in one, perhaps two, positions to avoid a possible adjustment latter makes little sense to me.

You're right - it's certainly not unfair to ask the question. But here's a bigger question (and I think most of us know the answer) - Is Heisey proven himself to be an everyday player? IMO - No. A good defender yes; but inconsistent production offensively (especially vs LH'd pitching). So when he struggles what do you do? Put Choo back in CF on those days you want to rest Heisey, and play Paul or Robinson in LF? Yeah, both Paul and Robinson, in the minor leagues, have some experience playing CF - but where are they the most comfortable?

You're then jerking Choo around, and I don't think that is a good thing. I agree with Dusty's recent logic to this question...

When the Reds lost left fielder Ryan Ludwick to a shoulder injury on Opening Day, the club opted to keep Choo in center field. Chris Heisey, who has more experience in center field than Choo, took over left field. Baker did not want to wreck the continuity as Choo learned his new position. If he moved, he would have to relearn it once Ludwick returns.
    Lets show some patience with this kid as he is not only learning a new position, but a new ballpark too.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

jimbo (04-09-2013),puca (04-09-2013)

dont care if Choo pitches everyday as long as he's hitting .375

20. Likes:

sdwagers (04-09-2013)

Give Choo more time. In the long run if he can handle CF the Reds are much better off when/if Ludwick gets healthy. Even if Ludwick can't return this year it is much easier to pick up a LF bat at the deadline than a CF bat. We can hope that Hamilton will force the issue at some point this year, but that shouldn't be the strategy - nor should counting on Heisey who continues to show a lot of holes in his game.

Sure it's fair to ask.

But I think it's unfair to move Choo all around the OF for the whole year and expect him to perform well in the playoffs where defense matters most. I'm willing to sacrifice defense over the long haul for his supposed continued improvement in CF for his hitting. We're more than likely going to the playoffs (barring major injuries) so why mess his development?

Turn Off Ads?