Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    No doubt. These quotes just crushed a little of my optimism that Choo will be an average defensive centerfielder by Opening Day.
    Either he can handle it or not. Any amount of busting his butt is just so much "I'm in the best shape of my life" propoganda. I'm not sure why that would impress you.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Spring Training hasn't even started yet.

I have no idea if he can handle CF, but anything said now is less than meanlingless.

Keep your heads everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Either he can handle it or not. Any amount of busting his butt is just so much "I'm in the best shape of my life" propoganda. I'm not sure why that would impress you.
    While there is some work to do, mostly reps in CF, I tend to agree with you. Some guys are decent in CF, some guys are not.

Strangly enough, there have even been a few guys who have said that playing CF is easier for them than RF or LF because they can see the way the ball leaves the bat better and can get a quicker and more accurrate jump on the ball.

My natural optimist streak is hoping that Choo or Bruce will be one of "these" guys.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not sure if it's that simple. I think Choo has all the natural skills to be an average defensive centerfielder. He has the speed and he has the arm. However, angles are one of the hardest things to learn as a centerfielder. That extra half step is the difference between an out and a triple. You better believe you can be working on those angles all off-season long. The angles are much different in center than they are in right.

I'm not worried about if "he's in the best shape of his life." I am worried that he really doesn't want to be a centerfielder. If he doesn't want to be a centerfielder, it's hard to see him getting those extra reps and learning those angles.

I was very happy about the Choo trade. However, for this trade to maximize it's value, Choo has got to play an average centerfield. His quotes in the initial post are very awkward and I am worried that it may not just be a translation error and this is Choo's way of saying just let me play a corner outfield spot.

6. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-13-2013)

No worries. He only has to play centerfiled for 2/3 of the season. Heisey will get some starts. And Choo only has to play 6 or 7 innings a game in center. Then pull Ludwick and bring Heisey in to protect the lead.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the Reds pitchers are going to miss having Stubbs roaming center field. The question is will our outfield defense lose as many games as our center field hitting did the past few seasons. I'm pretty sure we'll end up on the plus side of the equation. The only argument will come when Stubbs finally figures out Major League pitching and we hear all the 'could have beens'. He desperately needed the change of scenery...I hope it helps him.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Reds pitchers are going to miss having Stubbs roaming center field. The question is will our outfield defense lose as many games as our center field hitting did the past few seasons. I'm pretty sure we'll end up on the plus side of the equation. The only argument will come when Stubbs finally figures out Major League pitching and we hear all the 'could have beens'. He desperately needed the change of scenery...I hope it helps him.
    Too bad be just became a part time player that will rarely see a right handed pitcher which is where he needs the most help.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Could be worse. He could have refused to move like another player on our team once did.
    Votto?
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Spring Training hasn't even started yet.

I have no idea if he can handle CF, but anything said now is less than meanlingless.

Keep your heads everyone.
    Yep. No reason he would be comfortable in center right now. I'm sure he'll be getting a full crash course shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Votto?
    Votto did as well, but I think he was referring to someone who refused to go from LF to 1B, not the other way around.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Votto?
    Nah, I'm thinking Phillips.

Bruce will play CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Nah, I'm thinking Phillips.
    I thought it was Griffey.

It's so bizarre to have the thought of "He can't be worse than Griffey" running through your head.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It's so bizarre to have the thought of "He can't be worse than Griffey" running through your head.
    Griffey had some great moments here, even with the injuries I don't think Choo will match up to what Junior did. There's not much of a comparison.

If you're going to compare players, Ichiro today is pretty much equal to Choo. He's going to get on base, he can steal, and he'll hit .280. Comparing Choo to Junior is apples and oranges.

Turn Off Ads?