Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You must be one of those people who see racism everywhere you look.
    You must be one of those people who decides how someone sees the world based on a single observation.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Likes:

Tadasimha (04-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I didn't get that she'd struck up a friendship at all -- just that she'd spoken to him pre-game once and had a friendly conversation.
    That's what it sounded like to me as well. I won't say there was anything racist about it, but it certainly struck me as an odd segment.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If Cairo was interviewed about Chapman, would that be racist? How about Marty talking about Cozart? Larkin talking about Phillips? This seems kind of silly.
    That's a poor comparison. It would be more like bringing in the architect who works down the street and was born in Cuba for an extended conversion about Chapman in the TV booth, or having me come in and talk about any Ohio-born Red I happened to meet. Again, not racist, but it is weird. You don't typically bring in random fans who happened to meet a player once for extended interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    She came across as knowing a lot more about Choo than someone who just had one brief pre-game chat with him.
    I thought they said she had written something about Choo/Korean players in MLB. Could be wrong, but that's what I thought they said.

well, this thread is about to fire back up...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Brought this up in the game thread, but should post it here since I check this far more often:

Choo was said to play right field like he was scared of the walls in the outfield. At home, he misplayed a ball badly off of the CF wall when he approached the track, he almost fell over and the ball bounced off of the wall and back by him. Then today, he is backing up on the track and drops the ball. Maybe it was the sun. I don't know. But that is two plays, near the wall, in which he was moving and messed up. Are there any other plays he has made on the track this year while he was moving rather than stationary?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Game thread frozen?

Wow. Got his glove on 2 and dropped them both to allow 3 runs to score. Crap.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    Would it be racist if GABP started selling Bulgogi or Bi Bim Bop? No, it would be AWESOME!
    Just that you kmow these 2 Korean dishes is awesome. Spent 2 great years in South Korea!!!

Walk, single, double, three RBIs? Today, redemption is spelled C-H-O-O
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Was I the only one who found the whole "lets interview a random Korean person about Shin-Soo Choo" segment during the Friday night telecast to be incredibly awkward and slightly racist?
    Yes
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

How long as Choo been playing outfield? I thought I heard he was a pitcher when he was first signed? At what point did he make the switch?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Please Reds, extend this guy. Would love to see him in LF for the next five years.

He's a little shaky right now in CF, but we all expected that wasn't going to be an easy transition.

16. Likes:

sdwagers (04-08-2013)

I don't think he dropped those balls because he was playing Center field instead of Right field. He got to them in plenty of time and just plain dropped them. He was camped under the second one. We can have concerns about his range, but his range was perfectly sufficient on those two balls. He just dropped them. That can happen anywhere on the field. The misplays are an indication that he may not be a good fielder, but they are not an indictment of the decision to move him to Center field.

18. Likes:

Old NDN (04-08-2013),RiverRat13 (04-08-2013),Roy Tucker (04-08-2013)

I know we are NL fans here and most of us hate the Designated hitter, but with more and more talk that the DH is coming to the NL, is it possible it will happen by 2014? If so, with Ludwick already signed for 2014, and the possibility of resigning Choo, how about the following lineup??

Early on if Hamilton isnt getting on base at a great clip...
    1. Choo LF
    2. Phillips 2B
    3. Votto 1B
    4. Ludwick DH
    5. Bruce RF
    6. Frazier 3B
    7. Cozart SS
    8. Haniroco C
    9. Hamilton CF

If hamilton can get on base at a good clip
    1. Hamilton
    2. Choo