Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Griffey had some great moments here, even with the injuries I don't think Choo will match up to what Junior did. There's not much of a comparison.

If you're going to compare players, Ichiro today is pretty much equal to Choo. He's going to get on base, he can steal, and he'll hit .280. Comparing Choo to Junior is apples and oranges.
    I meant in regards to defense. Griffey was atrocious.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I meant in regards to defense. Griffey was atrocious.
    And that's putting it nicely.

I think Choo will be fine. It's not on my list of 5 things to be most worried about for 2013.

1. Chapman as a starter.
    2. The bullpen beyond Broxton and Marshall.
    3. Cueto staying healthy.
    4. Frazier and Cozart avoiding becoming this year's guys who can only hit lefty pitching.
    5. Votto regaining his pop.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And that's putting it nicely.

I think Choo will be fine. It's not on my list of 5 things to be most worried about for 2013.

1. Chapman as a starter.
    2. The bullpen beyond Broxton and Marshall.
    3. Cueto staying healthy.
    4. Frazier and Cozart avoiding becoming this year's guys who can only hit lefty pitching.
    5. Votto regaining his pop.
    I think you can cross number 2 of the list... the Reds didn't change the pen that much in the offseason - plus LeCure emerged nicely in the postseason.

I agree on the other 4... a friend at work is afraid Votto will never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    They are cliches for a reason. Those are things he should be doing to improve his game, to best fit this team. Just passively hoping that he will be good enough to play center or if not that the coaches will move him to a corner, just isn't good enough for me.
    He was one of the first players to report to camp. He isn't "passively hoping", he is putting in the work to make the transition to CF.

Everyone is freaking out about a sound bite, but actions speak louder than words. Choo is doing everything that is asked of him.

I know I am in the minority but I just hope Choo really dominates at the plate because I think we are going to miss Stubbs in CF....Drew made highlight reel catches almost on a nightly basis and he made them look easy, he was camping under balls that other gold glove outfielders were diving for......methinks we got spoiled with him out there roaming the CF spot, not to mention he made Bruce and the LF'er look a little better with him getting to almost every ball in the gap....IF Choo can hit over .300 then I think we will look past those balls that one hop the fence that Drew would catch, but Choo is going to have to hit very well to make us forget DS......

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Spring Training hasn't even started yet.

I have no idea if he can handle CF, but anything said now is less than meanlingless.

Keep your heads everyone.
    Raisor makes a non-snarky post - better pay attention everyone!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Drew made highlight reel catches almost on a nightly basis and he made them look easy, he was camping under balls that other gold glove outfielders were diving for.
    Disagree strongly. Stubbs' metrics do not indicate he was getting to more balls than most centerfielders. Because he's such a smooth and fast runner, Stubbs looks better defensively than he actually is, IMO. He's too passive overall and nor a natural diver (on balls in front of him, for example). Best asset as a CF is his arm.

I have no idea how Choo will be out there, but he's not replacing a superb defender.

I found nothing wrong with the quote at all. As Doug said, he could've flat out refused to even try it at all.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Having such a small ball park helps us 81 games out of the year(plus the games he has off). Choo shouldnt have any trouble at Great American in center. the other 81 games bring up the questions in center, but being optimistic i think he will be fine. But just in case, What are the reds going to do in those other games?

Looking over the schedule and then at ballpark demensions The reds, cardinals (9 games) Nats (4 games) Brewers (10 games) and Cubs (10 games) have relatively the same size ball parks and the dodgers field isnt much bigger so add another 4 games. Out of the 81 away games thats 37 that I dont see too much of a problem. (again minus for days off or possibly moving to left or right when bruce or ludwick have off)

Then you have 9 games against the pirates in a large park, 4 against the braves, 3 against the phillies rockies, mets, padres, marlins, giants and dbacks. so 34 games to think about. Will choo have any of these days off to rest? Whenever Heisey plays for ludwick or bruce do you put heisey in center and slide choo over?

Then you inter-league play and have 2 games against the As and Indians, 3 against the Rangers and Astros rounding up your final road games at 10 games. Is Choo to DH these games putting Heisey in center?

So you have the 81 home games, 37 games in relatively the same size park and 10 inter-league games. That leaves you with only 34 games to really question his ability in bigger ballparks.

Also looking at his game log throughout his career the most he has played is 156 games in a season. So givin the position change ill round that to 30 games off. Lets just say 15 home and 15 away (5 in the smaller parks/8 in the larger and say 2 of the inter-league games)..so really thats only 26 games(+8 interleague but again does he DH any of these) he would be manning in center field in larger ballparks. Again minus the games bruce and ludwick have off that heisey might move to center pushing choo to a corner

Oh and 1 more thing..I know anyone can beat anyone on a given night but the away games against the padres, marlins, mets, dbacks, astros and possibly rockies i dont see too much of an issue. Our offense should carry us these games with the lack of pitching and/or hitting these clubs have.

Idk just some of my thoughts on the topic
    Last edited by coachpipe; 02-12-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Votto?
    Yes, I was referring to Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I just feel he should do all he can to make it happen. He almost seems defeated before he starts. "If they’re not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field." That doesn't seem like he has his heart in it and is very confident that it will get done. I do question if this perception could be caused by translation issues. I would just expect more of a quote of, "I have played 99% of my major league games in right, but I have been working every day in centerfield since the trade and I have seen good progress. I expect to get to the level my coaches are comfortable with by the end of spring training and I can't wait to play in centerfield on Opening Day."
    Shin Soo-Choo is a product of his culture. Saying something like "I expect to get to the level..." would be considered extreme braggadocio.

In searching the net for quotes from him, I found very few, and they all had a humble bent. About the most boastful you are going to find from him is this quote prior to 2012:

"My career, every year has been better, better, better. This year (2011), I was at the bottom. So next year, I can only go up. Maybe it won’t be stressful. I’ll just be able to play. I’ll get healthy in the offseason and then next year come back and then just play. I’ll show them I’m healthy and I can still play.”

Even that quote is very humble. Also, do not read into the "then someone else will play center field" as an expectation that he will then play right.
    I think it may be just as accurate to interpret it to mean the far more humble, "On a team as talented as the Reds, I will have to earn my position on the field."

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-12-2013),mth123 (02-12-2013),REDREAD (02-12-2013),redsrule2500 (03-13-2013),RichRed (02-12-2013),Tommyjohn25 (02-12-2013)

John Fay ‏@johnfayman
    Arroyo hugged Choo when he saw him. "My ERA just went down a half point." Choo is 8-for-14 with 4 HRs off Arroyo. #reds

15. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-13-2013),camisadelgolf (02-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (02-12-2013),The Operator (02-15-2013),traderumor (02-13-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (02-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Shin Soo-Choo is a product of his culture. Saying something like "I expect to get to the level..." would be considered extreme braggadocio.

In searching the net for quotes from him, I found very few, and they all had a humble bent. About the most boastful you are going to find from him is this quote prior to 2012:

"My career, every year has been better, better, better. This year (2011), I was at the bottom. So next year, I can only go up. Maybe it won’t be stressful. I’ll just be able to play. I’ll get healthy in the offseason and then next year come back and then just play. I’ll show them I’m healthy and I can still play.”

Even that quote is very humble. Also, do not read into the "then someone else will play center field" as an expectation that he will then play right.
    I think it may be just as accurate to interpret it to mean the far more humble, "On a team as talented as the Reds, I will have to earn my position on the field."
    Good point. No one is going to mistake a Choo quote for an Ochocinco quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post

This was my first thought too. At the risk of painting with a broad brush, Asian players are generally very humble and typically don't display the brashness we're often used to seeing from our homegrown players. I actually think the humility makes him seem hungrier, if anything, in that he's not sitting back and taking anything for granted.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Disagree strongly. Stubbs' metrics do not indicate he was getting to more balls than most centerfielders. Because he's such a smooth and fast runner, Stubbs looks better defensively than he actually is, IMO. He's too passive overall and nor a natural diver (on balls in front of him, for example). Best asset as a CF is his arm.

I have no idea how Choo will be out there, but he's not replacing a superb defender.

I am a huge fan of metrics.....but i almost refuse to use them to look at a players defensive skills....I am not saying using metrics for defense doesn't work but I feel they don't work all the time.....I watched a ton of games in person each season...around 35-40 of the 81 home games I am usually sitting at GABP watching the Reds and Stubbs is the best CF I have seen play the game for the Reds in a long time......I have seen better CF'ers on other teams but watching them inning for inning against drew I didn't notice a huge difference.....there have been so many balls that leave the bat and I instantly would think gab only to have drew glide over and snag it........I will agree with you that his major issue was running in on a ball and diving....diving is sort of one of those catch 22 things.....there are several great OF'ers who say that diving does nothing but slow you down on your path to the ball and there is some truth to that......but I still feel as if there is a time and a place to dive and its just not needed that often....to many times I see a guy on sports center dive and he dives almost the exact second the ball hits his glove and everyone says its a web gem......well I say that drew Stubbs gloves those balls and doesn't need to dive.....

Fact of the matter is this, it's mainly an opinion....there truly is not a good stat out there to prove ones wealth in CF......there are holes in every metric and there are holes in every opinion.....I just truly think we are going to see what it's like to have a mediocre CF'er roaming our OF...we are spoiled and that much is truth, metrics or not we have truly been spoiled by his glove.....maybe not so much his arm and his catching balls that he has to run in on but we are spoiled on every other part of Drew Stubbs defense......

19. Likes:

Brisco (02-12-2013),jimbo (02-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?