Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Actually, I agree that the time to strike for a Choo LTC may be now. Previous posters have made the point that the Ludwick contract is basically a front-loaded one-year deal to cover this year. I think a Bruce-Hamilton-Choo OF would be pretty awesome starting in 2014, and they are more likely to get Choo at a reasonable price before he goes gangbusters in GABP. And make no mistake -- he will.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Previous posters have made the point that the Ludwick contract is basically a front-loaded one-year deal to cover this year.
    Ludwick's deal is heavily backloaded. Only getting 1 million this year. Guaranteed about 12 million next year and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Ludwick's deal is heavily backloaded. Only getting 1 million this year. Guaranteed about 12 million next year and beyond.
    Okay, maybe I screwed that up. What I meant is that previous posters have made the point that the signing might be intended to play on the field for this year. If Choo is signed, I don't think they'd worry about Ludwick providing the contract's main value this year in performance.

I don't know if that makes sense at all. Do you understand?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Okay, maybe I screwed that up. What I meant is that previous posters have made the point that the signing might be intended to play on the field for this year. If Choo is signed, I don't think they'd worry about Ludwick providing the contract's main value this year in performance.

I don't know if that makes sense at all. Do you understand?
    I think it was a mistake to sign Ludwick and bring in Choo. I don't think they can afford both. Short of them being able to move Ludwick, we can't afford Choo too. We have too many other priorities. LF is way down the list from starting rotation, closer, Votto, Phillips, etc. You gotta cut somewhere. I think we need someone like Lutz to take over LF eventually. This team needs some significant contributions from pre arbitration eligible players like we've gotten in the past from Cozart, Frazier, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baker happy with Shin-Soo Choo so far

Recently Dusty Baker noticed new center fielder Shin-Soo Choo approached bench coach Chris Speier with a question, but not him. The Reds manager went up to his new player and asked why he didn’t come to the manager directly.

“He said in Korea, you don’t talk to the manager directly — the manager is like God,” Baker recalled.

Baker smiled and said he told Choo, “Well, we’re not in Korea.”
    That's cute and all, but Choo started playing in the US in 2001 when he was 18.

7. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-20-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think it was a mistake to sign Ludwick and bring in Choo. I don't think they can afford both. Short of them being able to move Ludwick, we can't afford Choo too. We have too many other priorities. LF is way down the list from starting rotation, closer, Votto, Phillips, etc. You gotta cut somewhere. I think we need someone like Lutz to take over LF eventually. This team needs some significant contributions from pre arbitration eligible players like we've gotten in the past from Cozart, Frazier, and others.
    People keep forgetting the TV money that will be coming in soon. Not to mention the attendance should continue to climb. I don't think money is as big an issue as the fans make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    People keep forgetting the TV money that will be coming in soon. Not to mention the attendance should continue to climb. I don't think money is as big an issue as the fans make it out to be.
    Every team has a budget and every team has limitations, especially those not on the coasts or a giant lake. Eventually the TV money will be spoken for, and depending on attendance in Cincinnati is a fools errand.

I guess I disagree, for several reasons.

When Ludwick was signed, there was no way of knowing that we'd be able to trade for Choo.

We've seen during the Reds run of success that a productive LF is very important to the offense. When Gomes/Ludwick/Fraiser were hitting well in LF, it gave the team a huge boost. When LF floundered, it drug down the team.
    So, I'd argue that LF is very important, especiallly when Stubbs was in CF (which was the plan when Ludwick was signed).

I'm guessing Walt realized that the chances of Rolen coming back were slim, and even if Rolen did come back, that's still some offense/depth lost, due to Rolen's health/age. Also letting Ludwick walk would've been a big risk to the 2013 offense at the time.

Finally, I think the chance of us extending Choo are very slim. I think if Choo was willing to forgo FA, the Indians would've extended him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Finally, I think the chance of us extending Choo are very slim. I think if Choo was willing to forgo FA, the Indians would've extended him.
    Well, we agree on your bottomline...

Well, we agree on your bottomline...
    What if Choo just didn't want to sign with a losing franchise? Cincy gives him a much better chance to win in the immediate future. One would think that would impact his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    That's cute and all, but Choo started playing in the US in 2001 when he was 18.
    What's your point?

What if Choo just didn't want to sign with a losing franchise? Cincy gives him a much better chance to win in the immediate future. One would think that would impact his decision.
    Who knows what kind of discount he might give a team for being on a winning franchise...a mill/yr? That's not going to be enough to keep him here. Be who knows? I could be wrong...

Who knows what kind of discount he might give a team for being on a winning franchise...a mill/yr? That's not going to be enough to keep him here. Be who knows? I could be wrong...
    I wasn't thinking in terms of a "discount." That assumes that Choo's main priority in becoming a FA is money. Obviously, that plays a big role. But becoming a FA also offers a player the opportunity to choose a place to live and a team to play for. If the money is pretty much equal, I would think that sometimes a guy chooses a place rather than a dollar amount.

Of course, Cincy isn't eactly known for its large Korean population, so that could be a factor, too.

Of course, Cincy isn't eactly known for its large Korean population, so that could be a factor, too.
    I'm guessing that is probably pretty low on the list, well after dollars and years. He can afford the full satellite package with Korean TV programming and a private chef to fix his favorite home cooked meals I imagine.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?