Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Did anyone else catch the inning the other night when they had the Korean professor from NKU in the TV booth? She's struck up a friendship with Choo and she made the comment that he was a lot happier in Cincy than he was in Cleveland. Anyone have any insight on that comment? Whatever the root or reasoning, it's great to hear he's already so happy in Cincinnati.
    There's been a lot of speculation that the players up in Cleveland hated Manny Acta, and that there was not a good locker room culture there.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Was I the only one who found the whole "lets interview a random Korean person about Shin-Soo Choo" segment during the Friday night telecast to be incredibly awkward and slightly racist?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Was I the only one who found the whole "lets interview a random Korean person about Shin-Soo Choo" segment during the Friday night telecast to be incredibly awkward and slightly racist?
    Maybe a little awkward, but that's to be expected. Not racist in the least, IMO. I think those kind of half-inning visits are scripted, at least to an extent, so the back and forth between the Reds announcers and the NKU prof had a pretty natural flow to it. I liked how they let her use Korean to give the score and go to commercial.

Cincy/Reds Country could use a little diversity, IMHO, so I was glad to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    A professor who has struck up a friendship is not random. Not sure what your beef is. Is having an interpreter for Aroldis Chapman and interviewing him racist? Is it racist that a contingent of people obviously of Far East descent was up and cheering and holding signs at the game Friday and I assumed they were local Koreans?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    A professor who has struck up a friendship is not random. Not sure what your beef is. Is having an interpreter for Aroldis Chapman and interviewing him racist? Is it racist that a contingent of people obviously of Far East descent was up and cheering and holding signs at the game Friday and I assumed they were local Koreans?
    Agreed.

She clearly is a huge fan of Choo and has struck up a friendship with him. I found it an interesting enjoyable conversation.

If you lived in Japan and watched Japanese baseball, I'm sure you'd have an affinity for American players.

I didn't get that she'd struck up a friendship at all -- just that she'd spoken to him pre-game once and had a friendly conversation.

I thought it was great. I enjoyed it.

I didn't get that she'd struck up a friendship at all -- just that she'd spoken to him pre-game once and had a friendly conversation.
    I didn't see the interview. That is what was communicated in the original post.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

If you lived in Japan and watched Japanese baseball, I'm sure you'd have an affinity for American players.
    Or rooting for American players in the EPL. If more Koreans get into the Reds, then that's more fans following the Reds. Seems like a good thing to me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I didn't see the interview. That is what was communicated in the original post.
    She came across as knowing a lot more about Choo than someone who just had one brief pre-game chat with him.

Would it be racist if GABP started selling Bulgogi or Bi Bim Bop? No, it would be AWESOME!

Come on; not in the least. Is everything offensive these days?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

14. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Come on; not in the least. Is everything offensive these days?
    It just struck me as "Here's a Korean person to talk about the Korean player playing for the Reds."

I found the whole thing to have a subtly racist overtone. I wouldn't have said anything if one of my best friends (who is Korean, born in the United States) didn't make a similar observation when we were talking this weekend.

It just struck me as "Here's a Korean person to talk about the Korean player playing for the Reds."

I found the whole thing to have a subtly racist overtone. I wouldn't have said anything if one of my best friends (who is Korean, born in the United States) didn't make a similar observation when we were talking this weekend.
    You must be one of those people who see racism everywhere you look.

If Cairo was interviewed about Chapman, would that be racist? How about Marty talking about Cozart? Larkin talking about Phillips? This seems kind of silly.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?