Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 93

Thread: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

  1. #76
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Wow.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Joel Sherman of the New York Post:

    #Dodgers #Reds both offered Rolen $4M, turned down. I have been told Rolen remains open to play but only for guaranteed $ (con) #Yankees

    Can't imagine #Yankees giving Rolen guaranteed $ or play time so don't see match with NYY

    https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1
    Things is, we don't know that Rolen turned down the Reds and Dodgers offers because of the money. He might have been fine with the money, but wanted guaranteed playing time. Terrible job of reporting, imo.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  4. #78
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,447

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Things is, we don't know that Rolen turned down the Reds and Dodgers offers because of the money. He might have been fine with the money, but wanted guaranteed playing time. Terrible job of reporting, imo.
    It's the NY Post, it's a cat pan liner paper

  5. #79
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,981

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Things is, we don't know that Rolen turned down the Reds and Dodgers offers because of the money. He might have been fine with the money, but wanted guaranteed playing time. Terrible job of reporting, imo.
    Either way, I'm relieved.

  6. #80
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Joel Sherman of the New York Post:

    #Dodgers #Reds both offered Rolen $4M, turned down. I have been told Rolen remains open to play but only for guaranteed $ (con) #Yankees

    Can't imagine #Yankees giving Rolen guaranteed $ or play time so don't see match with NYY

    https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1
    Hmmmmmm.

    I wish I didn't know things like this when I like a player. It makes me think less of them, and I probably shouldn't.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  7. #81
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,229

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's the NY Post, it's a cat pan liner paper
    I disagree. I think NY Post has a quality sports section.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

  8. #82
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,447

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I disagree. I think NY Post has a quality sports section.
    True, but they also like to pump up stories with sensationalism and innuendo

  9. #83
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,229

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True, but they also like to pump up stories with sensationalism and innuendo
    I think that's true for 2/3 of the paper (tabloid news and OpEd), but the sports page is really pretty decent. Except for Mike Vaccaro... I just don't like him for some reason.

    I think it really comes down to my location, though. There's no other option living in my area for decent sports print coverage that might mention the Reds on a daily basis. Internet is pretty much the best way to go, but I have to say I do like sitting down with a coffee and a real paper. It doesn't hurt that I like the Knicks, I guess, as they are covered pretty heavily.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

  10. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    865

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    I'm not sure of the implication.

    Are they saying the Reds and Dodgers offered 4 million and in spite of that Rolen turned it down because he's not sure if he wants to play?

    Or are they saying he turned down the offer because 4 million isn't enough money (IE respect) for him?

    It isn't clear to me.

    Also, it doesn't say when the Reds offered him that money. Maybe it was offered before they signed Hannahan, as that would make much more sense and only be around 1.5 million different.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 03-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.

  11. #85
    Member redsrolen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    231

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hmmmmmm.

    I wish I didn't know things like this when I like a player. It makes me think less of them, and I probably shouldn't.
    Think less of him? Are you serious? I wish people wouldn't read this kind of thing & assume they know what he wants or doesn't want?

  12. #86
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrolen View Post
    Think less of him? Are you serious? I wish people wouldn't read this kind of thing & assume they know what he wants or doesn't want?


    Exactly.

    He's one of the most fierce competitors I've ever seen. It's his career. His goodbye to baseball, after a lifetime of excellence and hard work.

    How would you like it if you were criticized for chosing where you want to work, to end your career, to take your family?

    Scott Rolen is a shining example of giving back to the game, on the field, in the clubhouse, in the community.

    I'll root for him no matter where he ends up and I'm grateful for the influence he's had on the Reds both on and off the field.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  13. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (03-12-2013), mth123 (03-12-2013), OnBaseMachine (03-12-2013), redsrolen (03-12-2013), westofyou (03-12-2013)

  14. #87
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    If the choices are whether he wanted more money to play less or that he wanted more playing time for less money, I'd guess it's the latter. The former doesn't make much sense.

  15. #88
    Member joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,042
    Sounds like Rolen wanted guaranteed playing time. I now wonder the real reason why Frazier was basically benched at the end of the year.

  16. #89
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,141

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Sounds like Rolen wanted guaranteed playing time. I now wonder the real reason why Frazier was basically benched at the end of the year.
    Maybe it could have been his Sept/Oct line of .176/.235/.257 OPS .491. Todd broke down at the end of the season.

  17. #90
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,541

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Joel Sherman of the New York Post:

    #Dodgers #Reds both offered Rolen $4M, turned down. I have been told Rolen remains open to play but only for guaranteed $ (con) #Yankees

    Can't imagine #Yankees giving Rolen guaranteed $ or play time so don't see match with NYY

    https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1
    I'm amazed the Reds offered him that much and that he turned it down. That's more than I would have offered him. Sounds like he's going all Roy Oswalt


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25