Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you really think that'll happen Chip? Cooperstown that is. I'm just not sure he's going to get in.

2000 hits, 300 hr's, 1200 rbi's, .280 ba, .855 ops career numbers. Extremely solid across the board...but I'm doubtful.
    The writers are reliably idiotic about the voting and I'm sure the ballot will still be insanely clogged in five years.

So Rolen probably won't get in immediately. Hopefully he gets enough support to linger and then voters will gradually realize he's one of the 10 best 3Bs ever to play the game of baseball.

I always love it when writers turn out to be completely ignorant about players who spent nearly two decades in the game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Then the Reds give Cairo a job as "Special Assistant to the GM". I wonder if Scott is not done or is indecisive. Why not give Scott that kind of role? "Special Assistant to the Clubhouse" maybe? I truly appreciate what Scott brought to the Reds, but he's done as a player. If he wants to stay in the game, I'm sure teams will line up for his services.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Then the Reds give Cairo a job as "Special Assistant to the GM". I wonder if Scott is not done or is indecisive. Why not give Scott that kind of role? "Special Assistant to the Clubhouse" maybe? I truly appreciate what Scott brought to the Reds, but he's done as a player. If he wants to stay in the game, I'm sure teams will line up for his services.
    Rolen stated he didn't want to go to ST. He has said you won't see him leaning against a fungo, so he clearly at this time has no aspirations to coach. He's made a ton of money, waaaaaay more than Cairo, so he doesn't NEED a job.

Why does everyone label a player his age as indecisive when it comes to continuing as a ball player? Seems to me that this is the time for him to have questions and doubts about enduring the rigors of a MLB schedule. My retirement from working is at the very minimum, 11 years away and I have doubts...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Rolen stated he didn't want to go to ST. He has said you won't see him leaning against a fungo, so he clearly at this time has no aspirations to coach. He's made a ton of money, waaaaaay more than Cairo, so he doesn't NEED a job.

Why does everyone label a player his age as indecisive when it comes to continuing as a ball player? Seems to me that this is the time for him to have questions and doubts about enduring the rigors of a MLB schedule. My retirement from working is at the very minimum, 11 years away and I have doubts...
    Well, let's be fair. Miggy doesn't need one either. Sure, he's made a lot less than Scott over the years, but Cairo is STILL a multimillionaire. Comparing him to the even bigger multimillionaires isn't exactly a glimpse into the poor house that is Cairo's life.

Considering his limitations as a player 17 seasons, 4,392 plate appearances, and $10 million in earnings was a helluva career for Cairo.
    Yeah, I'd say he's set for life.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Well, let's be fair. Miggy doesn't need one either. Sure, he's made a lot less than Scott over the years, but Cairo is STILL a multimillionaire. Comparing him to the even bigger multimillionaires isn't exactly a glimpse into the poor house that is Cairo's life.
    No, but Cairo expressed an interest in becoming a part of the organization post playing career, Rolen has not.

Cairo's career earnings: estimated at $9,575,000

While that ain't chicken feed, it is over an 18 year career... so an average of $500K per season. Given lifestyle, housing expenses etc. and not taking into account business interest he may have, Cairo is probably not rich.

Yeah, I'd say he's set for life.
    I dunno.

10 Million over 17 years.

Take out half for taxes and agent fees.

That's about $300K a year take home.

If he's typical, he would have saved something like 1% a year.

He probably needs to work, especially if he wants to keep his Major League life.

Sorry. I'll agree to disagree. If someone can't live comfortably for 20, 30, 40 years on 10 million dollars, they're pretty clueless. My wife and I have 4 kids and have yet to touch 80,000 a year combined. I'd do backflips for a 6 figure year let alone 300,000 a year. His house SHOULD be paid off. His cars SHOULD be paid off. I find it kind of funny that this is even debatable. 10 million dollars and he's NOT set for life? Sheesh.

I can see it. The more you have, the more you spend. Bigger houses, perhaps private schools for the kids. paying for family to travel. He probably does have some money in the bank, but he's hardly a multi millionaire. taxes + expense + debt he was sure to acquire when he was younger. Doesn't matter how you would handle that money, or think you would.

Sorry. I'll agree to disagree. If someone can't live comfortably for 20, 30, 40 years on 10 million dollars, they're pretty clueless. My wife and I have 4 kids and have yet to touch 80,000 a year combined. I'd do backflips for a 6 figure year let alone 300,000 a year. His house SHOULD be paid off. His cars SHOULD be paid off. I find it kind of funny that this is even debatable. 10 million dollars and he's NOT set for life? Sheesh.
    FYI, most basketball players and NFL players are broke at retirement.

Should be and are set for life are two completely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Well, I won't dispute it. However I'll also never understand it. As someone who lives paycheck to paycheck...I see someone who makes 10 million dollars, worrying about their financial future is not exactly a high priority.

Sorry, I'll drop it now. No point in completely sidetracking the thread.

13. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (02-15-2013),REDREAD (02-18-2013)

And see, everyone thought Todd Helton was crazy for buying lottery tickets.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ble/54465664/1

Sports Illustrated estimated in 2009 that 78 percent of NFL players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within two years of ending their playing careers and that 60percent of NBA players are broke within five years of retiring from the game. A starting lineup of financial-distress examples could include Terrell Owens, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Vick, Deuce McAllister and Bernie Kosar in football, and Allen Iverson, Scottie Pippen, Latrell Sprewell and Antoine Walker in basketball.

The factors contributing to financial ruin are numerous. Most people receiving a sudden windfall would be tempted to spend a good chunk of it quickly. This tendency might be pronounced when there's a sense of entitlement -- these are star athletes who have heard how great they are all their lives, after all.
    Athletes also are susceptible to hooking up with the wrong advisers and trusting them implicitly.
    "Often, it's a high-school or college friend or somebody they knew early in their careers," said Richard Dozer, former president of the Arizona Diamondbacks who now serves as chairman of the Phoenix branch of GenSpring Family Offices, which includes some pro athletes as clients. "It's family and friends a large percentage of the time."

Many athletes act on referrals, sometimes from teammates, that turn out to be toxic. News reports indicate that several members of the Denver Broncos lost perhaps $20million combined through a scam, linked to a hedge-fund manager, in which players referred one another before the deal blew up.
    "A player hears that his teammate has gotten great returns, so he wants to go with that guy, too," Dozer said.

Well, I won't dispute it. However I'll also never understand it. As someone who lives paycheck to paycheck...I see someone who makes 10 million dollars, worrying about their financial future is not exactly a high priority.

Sorry, I'll drop it now. No point in completely sidetracking the thread.
    My guess is that if Cairo was spending recklessly, he got a big wakeup call when he was briefly out of a job.. Remember, right before Cairo joined the Reds, he called every team in baseball, asking for a job. Walt was the only guy willing to let him come to spring training. I'm guessing that was a pretty good reality check that he wasn't going to make ML money forever
    Of course, there's no way to know for sure, but I think Cairo wanted to be a special assistant to Walt, and wants a career in baseball.

We'll never know if Brantley really wanted a career in broadcasting or if he's doing it to make ends meet either.. all we can do is speculate.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I just watched the 30 for 30 "Broke" on Netflix. You'd be surprised at the guys who are "broke".
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

From Joel Sherman of the New York Post:

#Dodgers #Reds both offered Rolen $4M, turned down. I have been told Rolen remains open to play but only for guaranteed $ (con) #Yankees

Can't imagine #Yankees giving Rolen guaranteed $ or play time so don't see match with NYY

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1

Turn Off Ads?