Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 93

Thread: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

  1. #16
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Rolen update???

    If we see Frazier or Hannahan get hurt, I would not be shocked to see Scott re-sign.

  2. Likes:

    Blitz Dorsey (02-12-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,027

    Re: Rolen update???

    Reading between the lines, my take:

    - Rolen would like to play, but has little interest in playing elsewhere
    - Reds offered him a chance to compete for a spot on a bench and a relatively small salary (e.g. $1MM)
    - Rolen wanted a commitment of at least some kind of regular playing time and more money (e.g. $4MM)
    - Reds told Rolen that if he wanted to come back on their terms, they wouldn't rule out the possibility later in the year, but that they had to move forward with a set plan for ST.
    - Rolen doesn't want to close the door, in case something should happen (like an injury to Frazier), but isn't interested in coming back on the Reds terms
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  5. Likes:

    Always Red (02-13-2013), Blitz Dorsey (02-12-2013), Boss-Hog (02-12-2013), IslandRed (02-13-2013), Revering4Blue (02-13-2013)

  6. #18
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,498

    Re: Rolen update???

    Thanks for the good times Scottie, but the Reds made the right move here.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  7. #19
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Rolen update???

    I agree with you guys. He's definitely leaving the door open to come back to the Reds if they suffer an injury at the 3B position. Or even if -- God forbid -- Votto goes down and Frazier has to move to 1B again.

    It also appears Rolen only wants to play for the Reds ... not the Dodgers or another team. I love the guy. Just wish he had become a Red earlier in his career. Better late than never though.

  8. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,731

    Re: Rolen update???

    I don't know what is behind all this - money, Scott's health, Scott's wishes, the Reds' wishes.

    But it's the correct result, including the open door for the future.

    Now, hopefully they get Bailey's deal set and it's time to focus on 2013 spring training.

  9. #21
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Rolen update???

    I don't know if it makes sense that him playing in only the warmer seasons could/should help his health?

  10. #22
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Rolen update???

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Rolen is not the answer at 3B for the Reds ... but I'm not counting on Frazier to be much better. Frazier is better suited to be a utility player.
    You could not be more wrong IMO. Frazier is the answer at 3B for the Reds for a long time to come if he stays healthy.

  11. #23
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,823

    Re: Rolen update???

    Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    You could not be more wrong IMO. Frazier is the answer at 3B for the Reds for a long time to come if he stays healthy.
    At best he's a Sabo answer, he'll be a sub by the time he's 32 is my guess.

    In short he'll get his full pension

  12. #24
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Rolen update???

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    At best he's a Sabo answer, he'll be a sub by the time he's 32 is my guess.

    In short he'll get his full pension
    Sabo was a STUD until he broke his leg with what might have been the worst slide of all time (feet first into FIRST base) so I'd have to say that I agree with the comparison.

  13. Likes:

    Blitz Dorsey (02-12-2013)

  14. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    As much as I like Rolen and value his contributions to the Reds, I've found his petulant ways, very annoying and , frankly, very unfair to the Reds Organization. His holding the Reds "Hostage" in terms of what he is going to do was easily decided by him 3 months ago. But, because his self-centered mentality, he couldn't choose.

    Reminds me of a 4 year old girl who when presented with a box of chocolates, can't make up her mind which one she wants. Choose something, dag nab it! Otherwise, they'll melt in the glare of the lights.

    Yeah, I understand that your shoulder and back hurt. But, guess what? I'm 25 years older than you, Scott and my shoulder and back hurt, as well as my knees and ankles, but if someone calls me for a game of tennis, I give them an answer. Yeah, maybe not the same level decision but you just don't hang a 'team' out to dry because yo can't decide between dark and milk chocolate. IMO, your conduct has been reprehensible and it tarnishes everything positive that you've done in 'The Queen City'. I will always remember your unexcusible behavior and, personally, I'm glad you are gone and I'm not welcoming you back.

    So, this pouting behavior is the way 'professionals' play he game, huh? Is that why you're such a 'positive' influence in the clubhouse?

    'Don't let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya'.

    Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 02-12-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

  15. Likes:

    Razor Shines (02-18-2013)

  16. #26
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Rolen update???

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Reading between the lines, my take:

    - Rolen would like to play, but has little interest in playing elsewhere
    - Reds offered him a chance to compete for a spot on a bench and a relatively small salary (e.g. $1MM)
    - Rolen wanted a commitment of at least some kind of regular playing time and more money (e.g. $4MM)
    - Reds told Rolen that if he wanted to come back on their terms, they wouldn't rule out the possibility later in the year, but that they had to move forward with a set plan for ST.
    - Rolen doesn't want to close the door, in case something should happen (like an injury to Frazier), but isn't interested in coming back on the Reds terms
    I agree with your assessment.

    I think if either Frazier or Hannahan get a serious injury, Rolen will be the first call they make.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  17. #27
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    As much as I like Rolen and value his contributions to the Reds, I've found his petulant ways, very annoying and , frankly, very unfair to the Reds Organization. His holding the Reds "Hostage" in terms of what he is going to do was easily decided by him 3 months ago. But, because his self-centered mentality, he couldn't choose.

    Reminds me of a 4 year old girl who when presented with a box of chocolates, can't make up her mind which one she wants. Choose something, dag nab it! Otherwise, they'll melt in the glare of the lights.

    Yeah, I understand that your shoulder and back hurt. But, guess what? I'm 25 years older than you, Scott and my shoulder and back hurt, as well as my knees and ankles, but if someone calls me for a game of tennis, I give them an answer. Yeah, maybe not the same level decision but you just don't hang a 'team' out to dry because yo can't decide between dark and milk chocolate. IMO, your conduct has been reprehensible and it tarnishes everything positive that you've done in 'The Queen City'. I will always remember your unexcusible behavior and, personally, I'm glad you are gone and I'm not welcoming you back.

    So, this pouting behavior is the way 'professionals' play he game, huh? Is that why you're such a 'positive' influence in the clubhouse?

    'Don't let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya'.

    Rem
    Wow, way to see the bright side buddy.

  18. #28
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,398

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Wow, way to see the bright side buddy.
    Ton of assumptions based on almost zero facts. I might be missing some sarcasm there.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  19. Likes:

    Tom Servo (02-12-2013)

  20. #29
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,119

    Re: Rolen update???

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Rolen wanted more money (e.g. $4MM).
    Fixed that for you.


  21. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    221

    Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

    IMHO, the Reds made the right baseball decision. Scottie was a ballplayer and we may regret that decision..... The Reds have been saying that the "door is open", but as others have stated, prob on some low terms for someone of Scottie's makeup.

    He will be synonamous (sp) with the turn around that the Reds franchise made as soon as he arrived, so thank you Scottie!
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25