Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

Re: Rolen update???

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Reading between the lines, my take:

- Rolen would like to play, but has little interest in playing elsewhere
    - Reds offered him a chance to compete for a spot on a bench and a relatively small salary (e.g. $1MM)
    - Rolen wanted a commitment of at least some kind of regular playing time and more money (e.g. $4MM)
    - Reds told Rolen that if he wanted to come back on their terms, they wouldn't rule out the possibility later in the year, but that they had to move forward with a set plan for ST.
    - Rolen doesn't want to close the door, in case something should happen (like an injury to Frazier), but isn't interested in coming back on the Reds terms
    This sounds likely to me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

My first post on the well respected 'Old Red Guard'...Hello all...As everyone knows on the 'Deck' my family is very close to Scott & Nikki Rolen...& of course I would never discuss them personally....I have to say after reading that he decided to possibly be available but didn't take the offer, I think is the right decision...Scott is the most dedicated athlete I've ever heard of & absolutely loves the game of baseball...He is also the hardest working & one of the finest human beings I've ever met in my 59 yrs of life...I think Frazier will do a good job at third & feel strongly that his strong enthusiastic voice is exactly what this team needs...Scotty is not one to sit in a chair in retirement & my dream is that he would take a possition with the team I've loved since I attended games as a young girl at 'Crosley Field'...I will always love the years I watched him do things at third base that I didn't think was possible....So excited for the season to start!!! Let's do this thing Redlegs!!!

4. Likes:

Chip R (02-14-2013),Red in Atl (02-13-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (02-13-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    As much as I like Rolen and value his contributions to the Reds, I've found his petulant ways, very annoying and , frankly, very unfair to the Reds Organization. His holding the Reds "Hostage" in terms of what he is going to do was easily decided by him 3 months ago. But, because his self-centered mentality, he couldn't choose.

Reminds me of a 4 year old girl who when presented with a box of chocolates, can't make up her mind which one she wants. Choose something, dag nab it! Otherwise, they'll melt in the glare of the lights.

Yeah, I understand that your shoulder and back hurt. But, guess what? I'm 25 years older than you, Scott and my shoulder and back hurt, as well as my knees and ankles, but if someone calls me for a game of tennis, I give them an answer. Yeah, maybe not the same level decision but you just don't hang a 'team' out to dry because yo can't decide between dark and milk chocolate. IMO, your conduct has been reprehensible and it tarnishes everything positive that you've done in 'The Queen City'. I will always remember your unexcusible behavior and, personally, I'm glad you are gone and I'm not welcoming you back.

So, this pouting behavior is the way 'professionals' play he game, huh? Is that why you're such a 'positive' influence in the clubhouse?

'Don't let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya'.

Rem
    Kids, this is an example of a bad post.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Kids, this is an example of a bad post.

Thank-you...

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    As much as I like Rolen and value his contributions to the Reds, I've found his petulant ways, very annoying and , frankly, very unfair to the Reds Organization. His holding the Reds "Hostage" in terms of what he is going to do was easily decided by him 3 months ago. But, because his self-centered mentality, he couldn't choose.

Reminds me of a 4 year old girl who when presented with a box of chocolates, can't make up her mind which one she wants. Choose something, dag nab it! Otherwise, they'll melt in the glare of the lights.

Yeah, I understand that your shoulder and back hurt. But, guess what? I'm 25 years older than you, Scott and my shoulder and back hurt, as well as my knees and ankles, but if someone calls me for a game of tennis, I give them an answer. Yeah, maybe not the same level decision but you just don't hang a 'team' out to dry because yo can't decide between dark and milk chocolate. IMO, your conduct has been reprehensible and it tarnishes everything positive that you've done in 'The Queen City'. I will always remember your unexcusible behavior and, personally, I'm glad you are gone and I'm not welcoming you back.

So, this pouting behavior is the way 'professionals' play he game, huh? Is that why you're such a 'positive' influence in the clubhouse?

'Don't let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya'.

Rem
    Or maybe it is really tough to let go of the game that you've played since you were five or six years old. It has to be especially tough when the mind is willing but the body just isn't able.

Jeeze Rem, tell us what you really think.

Guys, before we pile on Scott, isn't it possible that maybe the Reds strung Scott along? There's two sides to every story.

As far as we know, Scott and Walt probably talked as soon as the season was over.. maybe they mutually decided to wait and see what came up?
    Eventually the Reds got Hannarhan, Donald, minor infield depth which impacted what the Reds really needed. Heck, even Choo impacted the roster design.

So before we trash Scott, let's at least consider the possiblity that maybe the Reds have been giving Scott a "maybe" this whole time. Walt always just said "Well, we're talking and figuring out what to do".

If Scott was truly going after one last payday, he would've signed with LA months ago. Sure, we can speculate on many things, but I doubt Scott was purely motivated by money. My guess is that his heart wanted to come back as a Red one more time.. but a combination of his body wearing down and/or lack of roster space means that he couldn't come back..

Sorry, but it kind of bugs me a bit to see several people on this thread assuming Scott is some kind of drama queen. I don't think that's the case.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Thanks for returning professionalism and a winning attitude to the Reds organization, Scott. I have not had favorite players, but I will always root for a guy who walked the talk on the field AND positively influenced the next generation of ballplayers, both on the field and off.

Which tells me that the evidence for Rem's take on the situation is very unlikely.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-13-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

11. Likes:

Red Raindog (02-13-2013)

I have a feeling Rolen wanted money and a starting spot.

I've had the reply box open for quite some time trying to articulate how I feel on this issue but I have been unable to because everything seems ranty and childlike.

So I can sum my feelings up by saying that the overall presumption on this board that Scott Rolen held this franchise hostage this offseason and was selfish and all that crap is borderline offensive to me. It angers me.

How in God's Holy Name did Scott Rolen hold this team hostage?

Do you people seriously believe that Rolen and the Reds were not in somewhat consistant contact all winter long?

This winter undid everything good Scott Rolen did in a Cincinnati uniform????? Seriously?????
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

14. Likes:

REDREAD (02-13-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    You could not be more wrong IMO. Frazier is the answer at 3B for the Reds for a long time to come if he stays healthy.
    IMO, on a championship team, guys like Todd Frazier are super-subs, not starters.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    IMO, on a championship team, guys like Todd Frazier are super-subs, not starters.
    This just isn't so.

The Giants had Brandon Belt, Gregor Blanco, and Brandon Crawford in the starting lineup last year in the playoffs. Championship team.

When David Freese won the World Series MVP in 2011,
    he had a .791 regular season OPS.

Frazier is still young, he may sink or swim, but he certainly is capable of being a regular on a championship team.

And while Frazier doesn't have Rolen's credentials, he is far more likely to be available on a consistent basis. And he has Hannahan, a good backup, to round out the position.

Third base is fine.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-13-2013 at 11:29 AM.

17. Likes:

New Fever (02-13-2013),Revering4Blue (02-13-2013),Screwball (02-15-2013),Tom Servo (02-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Maybe if that championship team didn't have Votto, Phillips, Bruce,Chapman, Latos, and Sam Lecure's mustache.

But since the Reds do have lecure"s mustache (and those other guys) your argument is invalid.

Seriously, when did Scott Rolen turn into Brett Favre? The Reds had their answer at 3rd base and named him the starter early in the offseason. They also signed Hanrahan. He didn't hold anybody hostage. It's not like the Reds have a hole at 3rd base now that he decided to not come back.

I truly believe the best thing for the Reds would have been if Rolen came back and accepted a bench role. He's better than almost anyone the Reds currently have on the bench. I can understand why he wouldn't want to come back to ride the pine poney, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Fact: at the end of the season, Rolen was a free agent.

Fact: the Reds let it be known they were open to him returning.

Fact: the Dodgers were also interested and made inquiries.

Conjecture: At least on my part... Rolen played most of last year injured, in fact most of the last two years. Does anyone think he wanted to wait as long as possible to see how his body felt before hitting ST? Also, in his statement he doesn't say retired. Perhaps he would prefer a Pedro/Oswalt like half season allowing his body to recuperate and get stronger.

I don't think he is stringing anyone along, just coming to grips with age, health, economic and familial realities.

just my two cents.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?