Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

Re: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

Wow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Joel Sherman of the New York Post:

#Dodgers #Reds both offered Rolen $4M, turned down. I have been told Rolen remains open to play but only for guaranteed $ (con) #Yankees

Can't imagine #Yankees giving Rolen guaranteed $ or play time so don't see match with NYY

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1
    Things is, we don't know that Rolen turned down the Reds and Dodgers offers because of the money. He might have been fine with the money, but wanted guaranteed playing time. Terrible job of reporting, imo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Things is, we don't know that Rolen turned down the Reds and Dodgers offers because of the money. He might have been fine with the money, but wanted guaranteed playing time. Terrible job of reporting, imo.
    It's the NY Post, it's a cat pan liner paper

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Either way, I'm relieved.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

#Dodgers #Reds both offered Rolen $4M, turned down. I have been told Rolen remains open to play but only for guaranteed $ (con) #Yankees

Can't imagine #Yankees giving Rolen guaranteed $ or play time so don't see match with NYY

Hmmmmmm.

I wish I didn't know things like this when I like a player. It makes me think less of them, and I probably shouldn't.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's the NY Post, it's a cat pan liner paper
    I disagree. I think NY Post has a quality sports section.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I disagree. I think NY Post has a quality sports section.
    True, but they also like to pump up stories with sensationalism and innuendo

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True, but they also like to pump up stories with sensationalism and innuendo
    I think that's true for 2/3 of the paper (tabloid news and OpEd), but the sports page is really pretty decent. Except for Mike Vaccaro... I just don't like him for some reason.

I think it really comes down to my location, though. There's no other option living in my area for decent sports print coverage that might mention the Reds on a daily basis. Internet is pretty much the best way to go, but I have to say I do like sitting down with a coffee and a real paper. It doesn't hurt that I like the Knicks, I guess, as they are covered pretty heavily.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

I'm not sure of the implication.

Are they saying the Reds and Dodgers offered 4 million and in spite of that Rolen turned it down because he's not sure if he wants to play?

Or are they saying he turned down the offer because 4 million isn't enough money (IE respect) for him?

It isn't clear to me.

Also, it doesn't say when the Reds offered him that money. Maybe it was offered before they signed Hannahan, as that would make much more sense and only be around 1.5 million different.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 03-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hmmmmmm.

I wish I didn't know things like this when I like a player. It makes me think less of them, and I probably shouldn't.
    Think less of him? Are you serious? I wish people wouldn't read this kind of thing & assume they know what he wants or doesn't want?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrolen View Post
    Think less of him? Are you serious? I wish people wouldn't read this kind of thing & assume they know what he wants or doesn't want?

Exactly.

He's one of the most fierce competitors I've ever seen. It's his career. His goodbye to baseball, after a lifetime of excellence and hard work.

How would you like it if you were criticized for chosing where you want to work, to end your career, to take your family?

Scott Rolen is a shining example of giving back to the game, on the field, in the clubhouse, in the community.

I'll root for him no matter where he ends up and I'm grateful for the influence he's had on the Reds both on and off the field.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (03-12-2013),mth123 (03-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-12-2013),redsrolen (03-12-2013),westofyou (03-12-2013)

If the choices are whether he wanted more money to play less or that he wanted more playing time for less money, I'd guess it's the latter. The former doesn't make much sense.

Sounds like Rolen wanted guaranteed playing time. I now wonder the real reason why Frazier was basically benched at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Sounds like Rolen wanted guaranteed playing time. I now wonder the real reason why Frazier was basically benched at the end of the year.
    Maybe it could have been his Sept/Oct line of .176/.235/.257 OPS .491. Todd broke down at the end of the season.

I'm amazed the Reds offered him that much and that he turned it down. That's more than I would have offered him. Sounds like he's going all Roy Oswalt

Turn Off Ads?