Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is your pick to be the Reds LF in 2015?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ryan Ludwick (re-signed after current deal)

1 2.33%
  • Player Outside the Organization (FA or acquired via trade)

17 39.53%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

1 2.33%
  • Kyle Waldrop

1 2.33%
  • Jesse Winker

7 16.28%
  • Jeff Gelalich

1 2.33%
  • Someone else in the org but not listed above (list below)

15 34.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF 2015

LF 2015

Who is your pick to be the Reds LF in 2015 (after Ludwick's current contract expires)?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LF 2015

I think Winker is the future, but getting there by 2015 is a stretch.

Solely depends on Yorman Rodriguez, if he clicks and reaches his potential, LF will be his in 2015. Winker is mighty capable as well, should be interesting to watch these prospects develop. And I am extremely high on Waldrop, he profiles more in RF, but obviously with Bruce out there, not gonna happen. I hope Yorman has a Oscar Taveras type season in 2013

I voted someone else. I think Todd Frazier moves into LF with David Vidal or Seth Mejias-Brean taking 3B.

Winker won't be ready yet, Waldrop and Gelalich fall short of becomig every day players and who knows about Y-Rod.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Donald Lutz

I'm voting Lutz because he wasn't on the list, and he's the first in-house guy in line after Ludwick. Lamarre should also get consideration before some of the guys in the poll, IMO.

I kinda think they'll sign Choo. When Hamilton comes up, Choo would move to LF.

If they eschew Choo, I'd lean toward Lutz. Followed by Waldrop and Winker.

Player not currently in the org. I predict that Ludwick falls off pretty steeply in this year or next, and we will need to find a good rental to hold the place of Yorman/Winker as we start to leak pitchers to free agency. None of the prospects mentioned are likely to be either ready to start by 2015 or be deserving of a starting gig on a winning team. It's also possible that Baker leaves, and we bring in a manager more fond of platoons.

I'm skeptical that anyone else in the org, especially the first basemen, will end up in LF after that failure of a position change that was the Yonder Alonso saga. Neither Soto nor Lutz will likely be good enough out there to justify the position change, and Frazier is looking pretty entrenched at third. If anybody in house will be there, it will be Ludwick signed on a 1-year contract as a stopgap and clubhouse guy, or Choo if Walt pulls a coup and works out a LTC with him.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm voting Lutz because he wasn't on the list, and he's the first in-house guy in line after Ludwick. Lamarre should also get consideration before some of the guys in the poll, IMO.
    Lutz is fair (and was something of an oversight), but no way on Ryan LaMarre. If you think Chris Heisey was not an adequate starting LF, LaMarre is like a poor man's Heisey. He will be a major leaguer, but unlikely to be more than a 4th OF, and if ever earns a starting gig it should be in CF, not LF, as his defense provides the majority of his value as a player.

Being a fellow Wolverine, I really want to like Ryan LaMarre as a prospect and a player, but I just don't. He is Chris Heisey redux with less power.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I kinda think they'll sign Choo. When Hamilton comes up, Choo would move to LF.

If they eschew Choo, I'd lean toward Lutz. Followed by Waldrop and Winker.
    I'd like that (if they re-signed Choo and moved him to LF) although I doubt it will happen. Walt is unlikely to displace his boy Ludwick, and I don't think there will be much money left if they extend one or two of the pitchers (ie Latos and/or Bailey).

My vote is for the proverbial POTO, as I'd like to see the Reds trade one of their excess SP (especially Leake, Corcino or Cingrani) for a young, bashing LF that's a year or two away.

Out of those currently in the org, my guess is Lutz or Yorman, although it's hard to see either as a longterm fixture in Cincinnati at this point. Likely whoever is starting in LF in 2015 is just keeping it warm for Winker (and unless he tanks again this year I wouldn't count Gabriel Rosa out) a year or two later. At this point, I question whether Waldrop, Gelalich or LaMarre have what it takes to be a starting corner OF on a first division club.

As an aside, I would've LOVED for the answer to this to be Courtney Hawkins coming out of last year's draft. If only he fell just one more spot...

(Said the same thing about Heyward in the '07 Draft)
    Last edited by Benihana; 02-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Player not currently in the org. I predict that Ludwick falls off pretty steeply in this year or next, and we will need to find a good rental to hold the place of Yorman/Winker as we start to leak pitchers to free agency. None of the prospects mentioned are likely to be either ready to start by 2015 or be deserving of a starting gig on a winning team. It's also possible that Baker leaves, and we bring in a manager more fond of platoons.

I'm skeptical that anyone else in the org, especially the first basemen, will end up in LF after that failure of a position change that was the Yonder Alonso saga. Neither Soto nor Lutz will likely be good enough out there to justify the position change, and Frazier is looking pretty entrenched at third. If anybody in house will be there, it will be Ludwick signed on a 1-year contract as a stopgap and clubhouse guy, or Choo if Walt pulls a coup and works out a LTC with him.
    This all sounds pretty consistent with my view.
    Go BLUE!!!

If you look at Jay Bruce as an example and consider 2012 as the end of his first year in the minors.; even he would not have made the 2015 Opening Day roster. To be fair, he may have deserved it but they delayed his debut because of time service issues. And if any of Rodriguez, Waldrop, Winker, Buckley, Gelalich, or even Reynoso, advance far enough and fast enough they will probably be held back as well for the same considerations.

I completely overlooked someone and would like to change my vote to Chris Heisey. Heisey, Hamilton and Bruce on Opening Day 2015.

I am going with Choo. He will shift to left field in June of this year when Billy Hamilton gets promoted to play centerfield. The Reds will sign Choo to a 3 year $32 million extension to keep him in a Reds' uniform through 2016.

If they eschew Choo.
    Gesundheit! It's gonna another long season.

I think Ludwick's 2 year deal precludes a Choo extension as an option. I also think it's wishful thinking that Choo will command less than a 5-6 year deal.
    I would think it's LaMarre or Lutz in 2015 for 1 season. Then Winker, YRod, Gelalich, or Waldrop gets a chance long term.
    I think LaMarre is the one most certain to make it to the majors, although I think he has the lowest ceiling when compared to Winker/YRod/Gelalich/Waldrop.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?