Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training - Places to see/eat/drink

Spring Training - Places to see/eat/drink

Well, it's the middle of winter and I've decided that I need to do something I've longed for but never had the opportunity to do; Attend Reds Spring Training. I've decided to go March 14th - 18th and will get to see the Reds play COL and CLE and may take the trip to Phoenix to see the SS play MIL. However, I've never been to AZ, let alone Goodyear, so I figured this was as good a place as any on the internet to get ideas of things to do, places to eat, libations to consume, etc.

A little background may be helpful, I'm 34, single, male and just looking for things to do while out there. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, and GO REDS!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training - Places to see/eat/drink

I have not been to s.t. in AZ yet, but if you do make it to Phoenix go to a bar called The Library-as a single man you will enjoy scenery and thank me later.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Thanks Bounty! The Library is on the to-do list!

Flight booked for 21st-25th.

Anyone else going or have recommendations?

Go Reds!!

No problem PER. It was a few years back that I went- and it was New Years Eve- so sure it was better than the average nights, but Phoenix was a lot of fun for this single guy at that time. If you are a basketball fan see if the Suns are in town when you are there too.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure The Library is closed down. Might have to scratch that one off your list.

It may be, it was @ 6 years ago that I was there, so sure a lot has changed.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

There's not a whole lot directly around Goodyear. There's the stadium, a few places here and there, and the desert.

Younger, single guy? Head to the Mill Ave. District in Tempe. It will be worth the trip. Four Peaks Brewery is another place to check out in Tempe if you're a beer guy.

If you're an outdoors guy, I'd recommend the Squaw/Piestewa Peak trail. Might want to hit that early in the morning because it can get pretty hot as the sun creeps up toward afternoon.

Otherwise, just head to as many games as you can, kick back, drink a few beers, and relish the fact that you're not back here in frigid temps.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

9. Likes:

P.E.R#14 (02-20-2013)

700WLW posted this today.

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/springTr...ticle=10825533

If you are heading to Goodyear to see the Reds, take some time and drive to Sendona.You can visit this church built into the side of the mountain

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post
    Thanks Bounty! The Library is on the to-do list!

Flight booked for 21st-25th.

Anyone else going or have recommendations?

Go Reds!!

I'm heading out this Friday!

I've heard rumor of an In-N-Out nearby, so I'm excited for that.
    This is the year.

I dont know if you planned out your games but my favorite ballparks in Arizona are:

Talking Stick: D-Backs & Rockies
    Scottsdale Stadium: Giants
    Peoria Sports Complex: Padres & Mariners
    Phoenix Municipal Stadium: Oakland

I would avoid the Angels because of the zoolike atmosphere and the Brewers because its a dump.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

If you're an aviation buff, the Pima Air & Space Museum is a must. Off the beaten path (in Tucson), but very worthy of a visit.

Also, I was there two ST's ago, and there's NOTHING in or around Goodyear. Lots to do around Scottsdale, but like previous posters mentioned, depends on your age, tastes, etc. Hope you enjoy ST as much as did!

http://www.pimaair.org/

I personally like old airplanes lined up in the desert and churches in rock, really, but for some reason I think the OP is looking more to the fast lane.

There are a couple of good baseball related restaurants in the area.

Don & Charlies
    in Scottsdale is a must - it is where all the players and club personnel eat, and is a unique experience, the walls are completely covered in baseball memorabilia and autographs. Last year, I saw Michael Taylor of the A's when I was eating there, and overheard some interesting stories from the long time clubhouse manager of the Giants, who was sitting at the next table. Willie Mays was apparently there a few nights before. You might want to get a reservation though, since there can be quite a long wait for seating otherwise.

Also, there is a TGI Fridays literally inside Chase Field open all year - you can request a table in the outfield stands, and even if you don't eat there, they let visitors walk around the balcony area, if you have any interest in seeing the inside of the Diamondbacks stadium.

16. Likes:

P.E.R#14 (02-20-2013)

Does anyone know when the WBC guys will be leaving ST to join their national teams?
    This is the year.

Thanks to all. I haven't been on in a while and I'm glad to see this post has taken off.

It's confirmed. The Library has closed...

We'll be staying in West Phoenix and purchased tickets for Thurs. (Home), Fri (@LAD), Sat. (H) and Sun (@TEX) (3-21/3-24). With March Madness kick-starting the same weekend, I'm assuming we (34 and 33 year old men and I'm single) will get up around 0800, grab breakfast while watching the first games, go to the ball park and then watch more basketball. I don't know how much extra time will be alotted to traveling to churches in moutain sides or aviation museums in Tucson or hiking, but seriously, thank you for taking the time to post. If it weren't for the bball tourney, all of these would be on the to-do list. Having not been to Arizona, and being an outdoor enthusiast, it actually bothers me that my first trip will be spent watching baseball and basketball and drinking beer and hunting for tanned beauties....oh who am I kidding? This is going to be a blast!!!!!

Batsfan, Thank you for the restaurant advice. That place sounds amazing with or without the Reds on hand. Plus, I'm sure they have plenty of TV's showing the tourney! We'll have to check it out.

Go Reds!!

Turn Off Ads?