Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bourn - CLE

Re: Michael Bourn - CLE

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Trevor Bauer is supposed to be the real deal, he was part of the Choo trade. We will see how he pans out; how many "can't miss" pitching prospects have we seen miss in Cincy, or Louisville or Dayton or Billings...
    His short time in the majors last year definitley had some rough outings, but maybe he will settle down during his second year in the Bigs. He has electric stuff, but his control could use some work. I am not sold he will be a starter in the league for very long, but we shall see.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

2. Turn Off Ads?

So in terms of 4th outfielders, who would you prefer for the Reds, Stubbs or Heisey?

Stubbs costs too much (and will cost more next season), so for budget I am happy with Heisey. But if it were cost neutral, as much as I hate to say it, I'd prob go with Stubbs just for late game defense and ability to steal a base.

Does it amuse anyone else when they read articles praising the Indians offseason and one of the positives mentioned is Drew Stubbs? Wait til they watch him hit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    So in terms of 4th outfielders, who would you prefer for the Reds, Stubbs or Heisey?

Stubbs costs too much (and will cost more next season), so for budget I am happy with Heisey. But if it were cost neutral, as much as I hate to say it, I'd prob go with Stubbs just for late game defense and ability to steal a base.
    If Bruce or Ludwick goes down, who do you want starting and trying to provide some offense 4 or 5 days per week? I think Heisey is limited, but for me, he wins that contest in a landslide. Heisey >>> Stubbs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is saying Swisher will play mostly 1st base this year. He did a good job at that position for the Yanks last year. The Indians will have one of the fastest OF in all of baseball. Im guessing Stubbs in LF, Bourn in CF, and Brantley in RF. No way Bourn plays any other position but CF with the biggest contract the Indians have ever given out. The second highest was Roberto Alomars 4 yrs 32 mil back in 1998. That franchise spends next to nothing.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

I'm pretty sure Swisher's contract was actually bigger (4 yrs, 56 mil if I'm not mistaken). But yeah, I agree that Bourn will stay in center

I like the Bourn pickup in terms of bringing in more fans, which Cleveland needs. But I feel like the Swisher and Bourn money could've been used better. They won't get very far without better pitching IMO.

Both decent pickups, but I see them finishing 3rd in the division this year.
    This is the year.

I agree. I think Lohse would have been a better signing for them

Quote Originally Posted by 90reds View Post
    I'm pretty sure Swisher's contract was actually bigger (4 yrs, 56 mil if I'm not mistaken). But yeah, I agree that Bourn will stay in center
    You are right. Bourn would be the second highest contract in franchise history. I also agree that Loshe would have been a better pick up but he is 34 yrs. old. Maybe some teams see him as on his way out. Have to admit that the Tribe probably has the fastest OF in all the bigs. I wonder what the over/under is on stolen bases for that team this year. All three of them guys can reach 30 easily if healthy.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

And if, in the case of Stubbs, they can get on base!

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    You are right. Bourn would be the second highest contract in franchise history. I also agree that Loshe would have been a better pick up but he is 34 yrs. old. Maybe some teams see him as on his way out. Have to admit that the Tribe probably has the fastest OF in all the bigs. I wonder what the over/under is on stolen bases for that team this year. All three of them guys can reach 30 easily if healthy.

It is amazing how fast the game is turning back into a speed game from just a power one.

Now, I don't think it will go back to the 80's simply b/c there re too many bandboxes and too few parks like Miami's new one (and none with crazy fast astroturf). But I do think that the speed element has rapidly rising in value of GMs... Look at what the Twins got for Revere, look at the Tribe stockpiling speedy OFs

Makes me all the happier that the Reds appear to have the ace of the speed deck just waiting in Louisville. Can't Wait!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    It is amazing how fast the game is turning back into a speed game from just a power one.

Now, I don't think it will go back to the 80's simply b/c there re too many bandboxes and too few parks like Miami's new one (and none with crazy fast astroturf). But I do think that the speed element has rapidly rising in value of GMs... Look at what the Twins got for Revere, look at the Tribe stockpiling speedy OFs

Makes me all the happier that the Reds appear to have the ace of the speed deck just waiting in Louisville. Can't Wait!

I think there's some validity there for sure. It seems like as the value of good pitching continues to trend upward, teams are looking to counter with high OBP guys who can manufacture runs. Obviously there's always a place for power hitters, but speedy guys who can get on base seem to be almost as valuable, if not more valuable than the power hitter who's more prone to strikeouts. (I have no factual backing here, just my observation)
    This is the year.

Also I still don't think Cleveland has the pitching to compete with Detroit or the other top AL teams, but that lineup is a lot scarier than it looked before
    i dont think top AL teams have enough pitching to stop the Indians from scoring, but the indians do have a deep and overly talented BP

the only teams cleveland might have trouble with are Detroit, Toronto, white sux only because even the best cleveland teams struggle with them for some reason, and thats about it

I agree. I think Lohse would have been a better signing for them
    LOL Loshe sucked in the AL

Quote Originally Posted by Tribefan33 View Post
    i dont think top AL teams have enough pitching to stop the Indians from scoring, but the indians do have a deep and overly talented BP

the only teams cleveland might have trouble with are Detroit, Toronto, white sux only because even the best cleveland teams struggle with them for some reason, and thats about it
    Not seeing it. Exactly where did they improve from last season? Swisher was a decent addition, but he doesn't offset the loss of Shin Soo Choo. Bourn is a good CF and lead-off guy and probably moves the needle a bit. The rest are just treading water IMO. Mark Reynolds in, Travis Hafner out. Drew Stubbs isn't much. Rotation is still poor IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?