Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latos signs 2yr deal

Re: Latos signs 2yr deal

This appears to be the new Jocketty model with retaining players. Show that you are committed to the player by signing them now to future arb years (just like Votto), and use the nonconfrontational time it gives you to work out the LTC.

On Bailey... after his quote following his no hitter about playing in a little league park, I suspect that he will not stay with the Reds any longer than he has to. Bailey has always been a bit arrogant. I bet he believes that he will be a consistent Cy Young candidate in any pitcher's park, but in Cincy he will never be more than a #2 or #3 guy.

I hope he proves me wrong. The playoff game proved that a confident Bailey can pitch anywhere.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great news.

Less than he is likely to be worth to us in the next two years IMO, and still leaves plenty of time for us to try and work out a LTC if warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    On Bailey... after his quote following his no hitter about playing in a little league park, I suspect that he will not stay with the Reds any longer than he has to. Bailey has always been a bit arrogant. I bet he believes that he will be a consistent Cy Young candidate in any pitcher's park, but in Cincy he will never be more than a #2 or #3 guy.
    I think that you are correct on Bailey. My friend hung out with Bailey for a night and said that Bailey was very open about not liking Cincinnati. He didnt have nice things to say about Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I think that you are correct on Bailey. My friend hung out with Bailey for a night and said that Bailey was very open about not liking Cincinnati. He didnt have nice things to say about Bailey.
    If that's the way he feels, then that's a shame. This organization has been very patient and supportive of Homer.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

The organization has been pretty good to Bailey the last couple of years, but I understand his dislike towards the city. For the better part of the last 3 years the fans have booed him and wanted him traded, talk radio and the print media have been hard on him, and of course the mighty HOF'er hasn't been fond of him. Add in that GABP hasn't been nice to him and I could see him wanting a change of scenery.

7. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-12-2013),REDREAD (02-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post

I hope he proves me wrong. The playoff game proved that a confident Bailey can pitch anywhere.
    Bailey has never been the most congenial guy; I would not be the least shocked to see him take a deal in FA that isn't the biggest but which puts him where he wants to be.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    If that's the way he feels, then that's a shame. This organization has been very patient and supportive of Homer.
    Hates the ballpark, Loves (with a capital-L) Price & Baker. I've met him a few times, and he's always been really nice to me -- but I've heard from several people that he's kind of a prick. I think, like most people, it's entirely the situation you meet him in.

With his history of injury troubles, you'd think he'd be easy to lock into a deal that buys 1 or 2 of his FA years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

10. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-12-2013),Red in Atl (02-12-2013),The Operator (02-13-2013),Tom Servo (02-12-2013),Tommyjohn25 (02-12-2013)

You have to figure given the ups and downs Homer has had here that he'd be itching to leave once he was able. And I'm quite OK with that. Never been a huge fan.

I think Walt knows this and Homer will be on the block depending on how ST goes and of course the year. You have to figure that the Leake signing was done to give some flexibility should Chapman not be up for the starting role. If he is what we hope and Leake can regain his form, Homer would be a nice chip to get some desperately needed upgrades to our farm system.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...year-deal.html

Reds, Latos Agree To Two-Year Deal
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 12, 2013 at 11:35am CST]
    11:35am: Latos' deal is worth $11.5MM over two years, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com (on Twitter). Latos will earn $4.25MM in 2013 and $7.25MM in 2014, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports (on Twitter).

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    The organization has been pretty good to Bailey the last couple of years, but I understand his dislike towards the city. For the better part of the last 3 years the fans have booed him and wanted him traded, talk radio and the print media have been hard on him, and of course the mighty HOF'er hasn't been fond of him. Add in that GABP hasn't been nice to him and I could see him wanting a change of scenery.
    The Cincinnati media is one of the softest in all of sports.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

14. Likes:

Cursh14 (02-12-2013),The Operator (02-13-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Hates the ballpark, Loves (with a capital-L) Price & Baker. I've met him a few times, and he's always been really nice to me -- but I've heard from several people that he's kind of a prick. I think, like most people, it's entirely the situation you meet him in.

With his history of injury troubles, you'd think he'd be easy to lock into a deal that buys 1 or 2 of his FA years.
    Maturity is a wonderful thing, and Homer is starting to get some and show it. It's easy to forget these guys are just kids, when I consider my own kids who are this age, whom seem so stupid to me (!), I imagine them with a microphone stuck in their face, and hearing what they say on national TV...and I shudder.

I give him credit, he has grown up a lot over the last couple of years.

A Texas guy like Homer is never gonna love Cincinnati or the Midwest, and a flyball pitcher (or any other pitcher for that matter) is never gonna love GABP
    sorry we're boring

thorn

Seriously, has there ever been a pitcher come out and say I LOVE pitching at GABP?

17. Likes:

The Operator (02-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Where is the team payroll for 2013 sitting now? Close to $100 mill or so?
    Not including Homer Bailey, roster/performance bonuses, buyouts, cash received in the Choo deal, players to be called up, deferred payments, etc., it stands at $92.1M.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I can see Bailey being the first one dealt if it comes to that.

Hopefully this Latos deal sets the table for an extension.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (02-12-2013),pahster (02-12-2013),Puffy (02-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?