Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latos signs 2yr deal

Latos signs 2yr deal

Just posted. On phone and will edit more details later.

2-yr/$11.5MM. Still has 1 remaining arbitration year in 2015. Free agent in 2016.
    Last edited by mattfeet; 02-12-2013 at 03:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Latos signs 2yr deal

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Just posted. On phone and will edit more details later.
    Down to Bailey.

Cool.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I knew something had to be coming down soon because Dallas tweeted something just a little while ago about this being a great day and that she was very happy she could finally relax. Happy to see things resolved early in ST because this was the one case I kept seeing mentioned as a potential arbitration case. Good for the Latoses and yay Walt!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/301379638813401088

RHP Mat Latos has agreed to terms on a 2-year contract through the 2014 season, avoiding arbitration.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...year-deal.html
    The Reds announced that they avoided arbitration with right-hander Mat Latos, agreeing to terms on a two-year deal for the 2013-14 seasons (Twitter link). Latos is a Bledsoe Brothers client.

The contract will buy out Latos' first two seasons of arbitration eligibility. He will be eligible for the third and final time following the 2014 season and still projects to hit free agency after the 2015 season.

Latos, 25, joined the Reds last offseason when they acquired him from San Diego for Yonder Alonso, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal and Edinson Volquez. He posted a 3.48 ERA with 8.0 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 209 1/3 innings with Cincinnati this past season, setting himself up for a substantial raise. Latos filed for $4.7MM, while the Reds countered at $4.15MM. Earlier this winter MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projected a one-year salary of $4.6MM for Latos, noting that few pitchers have matched his resume while first time arbitration eligible.

The Reds have one remaining arbitration eligible player, as MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker shows. Homer Bailey, Clayton Richard and Jordan Zimmermann are the only remaining unsigned players.
    Last edited by klw; 02-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I kind of wish we would have worked out an even longer deal with Latos that would have bought out a free agency year or two.

2 years 11.5 million.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I kind of wish we would have worked out an even longer deal with Latos that would have bought out a free agency year or two.
    With the crazy money being thrown around right now, I don't know that I'd be willing to take any kind of discount on years right now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    2 years 11.5 million.
    Guess or source?

Mark Sheldon just confirmed that number.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    With the crazy money being thrown around right now, I don't know that I'd be willing to take any kind of discount on years right now.
    Are you saying that you doubt that Latos was willing to sign a longer deal? If so, I agree. I just hope Walt was trying to lock Latos in to a longer deal.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Mark Sheldon just confirmed that number.
    Thanks
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...eal-for-latos/

Two year deal for Latos
    The Reds and starting pitcher Mat Latos avoided arbitration on Tuesday when the right-hander was signed to a two-year, $11.5 million contract through the 2014 season. It also comes with various award bonuses.

Latos, 25, likely netted a significant raise from the $550,000 he earned in 2012 after being first-time eligible for arbitration.

Where is the team payroll for 2013 sitting now? Close to $100 mill or so?

Senor Votto

Hopefully they can work an extension some time next year or so

I had Latos down for earning $13MM (4 & 9) over the next two yeras. $11.5MM isn't too shabby.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?