Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What hyped team can you see missing the playoffs completely?

What hyped team can you see missing the playoffs completely?

For me, that team is the New York Yankees. I see an old team here, with health issues all over the place. A thin rotation after the first two starters, and poor defense at SS, that will get worse this year if Jeter sees significant time there. I don't think they will hit enough to pass the Blue Jays or Orioles. And I think TB is better too, especially in the rotation.

I wouldn't cry seeing them miss out on the post season.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What hyped team can you see missing the playoffs completely?

Dodgers. Maybe they won't miss the playoffs, but I don't see them living up to the hype.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

4. Likes:

Chip R (02-13-2013)

I'd agree with the Yankees. They're just too thin. The Jays and Rays are the class of that division.

I think the Dodgers are, if anything, underrated.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Yankees haven't been hyped this season. IMO they have been talked about negatively this entire off season.

Two teams:
    In the AL the Angles. Can they slug their way to the playoffs? Their pitching staff is Weaver and then pray for rain.

In the NL the Braves. IMO its a poorly constructed offensive team with too many swing and miss guys. I have questions as to whether their rotation can keep it together all season long. Hudson is old and can Beachy keep it all together.

7. Likes:

OGB (02-14-2013),Red in Chicago (02-12-2013)

Toronto and Dodgers fall to the wayside

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

The Yankees get a lot of publicity, yes, but nothing positive. The Blue Jays, OTOH...
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Dodgers. Other than Kershaw their starting pitching ain't anything to write home about. I can see the Blue Jays falling into this category too. I doubt that Dickey ever has a season like he had last year again.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Dodgers. Other than Kershaw their starting pitching ain't anything to write home about. I can see the Blue Jays falling into this category too. I doubt that Dickey ever has a season like he had last year again.
    Zach Greinke

12. Likes:

pahster (02-13-2013)

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Zach Greinke
    Has an average era of over 3.85 over the last 3 seasons. Not much to write home about.

14. Likes:

LeDoux (02-13-2013)

Zach Greinke
    I had forgotten about him. But I am not a big fan of his either.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Has an average era of over 3.85 over the last 3 seasons. Not much to write home about.
    Generally speaking, he has also had some of the terrible defenses behind him in his career too.

I'm glad I'm not the one who thinks he's an overrated pitcher. Yes his war is good only because he strikes out people. However, he's a mentally weak player that you cannot rely on. When I see him pitch, I do not have in my mind that he has the ability to throw a perfect game unlike the image I have in my mind of elite ace pitchers.

Still, I think the Dodgers will make it.

And now half his games are in one of the better pitchers parks, in a division filled with pitcher's parks.

I like the Dodgers.

I also read constantly that the Yankees are hyped to at least get a wild card. Some writers like the SP and despite the age of the team, still like that offense. I'm not sold, but i mentioned them because of what i read. They were in the playoffs last year, and even though they were swept, two of those games were pretty winnable.

I think they are out this year, more because of TOR getting better and BAL can't be discounted, but then again... maybe.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Toronto and Dodgers fall to the wayside
    Was going to say Toronto as well. Feels like Florida circa last year.

I want to say the Dodgers, but it seems like they are doing everything possible to ensure a playoff appearance. They already have a stacked bullpen but are regularly signing great/once great relievers whose market has been hurt by their injuries to minor league deals, and they have EIGHT starters (Kershaw, Greinke, Beckett, Ryu, Billingsley, Lilly Capuano, and Harang) who are starters in any team's rotation.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?