Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: TOPPS disses Rose

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Worthington, O-H-I-O
    Posts
    114

    TOPPS disses Rose


  2. #2
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,182

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    As I've said many times else. I HATE revisionist history. Acting like something didn't happen neither honors the game nor educates the fans.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  3. Likes:

    Number_Fourteen (02-13-2013), Scrap Irony (02-13-2013)

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    224

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As I've said many times else. I HATE revisionist history. Acting like something didn't happen neither honors the game nor educates the fans.
    agreed, you shouldn't change history. shouldn't be able to wipe wins "off the board" in the NCAA, take away championships, etc.

    Pete has the hits record and he did it CLEANLY, well if you believe him he did it cleanly, which no one should believe anything he has to say.

    PS.. I like the "enhancements", and apparantly so does Pete
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,940

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    agreed, you shouldn't change history. shouldn't be able to wipe wins "off the board" in the NCAA, take away championships, etc.

    Pete has the hits record and he did it CLEANLY, well if you believe him he did it cleanly, which no one should believe anything he has to say.

    PS.. I like the "enhancements", and apparantly so does Pete
    Well, you know, except for all of those "greenies" that he took which are absolutely banned today and would get you suspended just as quick as steroids or HGH would.

  6. #5
    Red's fan mbgrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,061

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, you know, except for all of those "greenies" that he took which are absolutely banned today and would get you suspended just as quick as steroids or HGH would.
    First of all, he was never in any way punished for greenies, nor was anyone else in his era. Not Aaron, Mays, Bench, etc. Greenies were apparently readily availbale in every MLB club house, and it is totally wrong to pick Rose out of everyone else on that issue. This has been hashed over by Pete Rose haters for years and I, for one, am sick and tired of it.

    He was banned for gambling on baseball. Period. That infraction is certainly bad enough in it's own right, but in no way does it impact the wonderful playing career that Pete Rose gave us. In no conceivable way does it diminish his 4,256 career hits. Period.

    Topps doesn’t acknowledge Rose’s accomplishment on the back of its card in a new section labeled “Career Chase” that shows how far off other players are from historic milestones.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...#ixzz2KqMTMVgO
    Finally, why would Topps choose to omit Rose's all-time hit record, without also 'taking away' Bonds all time or single season HR record? There is a guy whose infractions directly impacted his records.

    I will tell you for a FACT that anyone can cite that Rose is the all time hit leader, and if you don't use his photo, you don't pay him anything. It's simply a historical fact. It's not subject to copyright, trademark, or patent. It's pure public domain. So I just don't buy that because he is banned, that Topps can't use his name or his record. This is a CHOICE Topps has made, and it warps the significance of Rose's MLB records.

    Topps may like the publicity this gets, but I for one am finished with their products for good. I'm closing my E-Topps account, and never buying from them again.
    __________________
    “A healthy Reds team is a strong Reds team"

  7. Likes:

    Lockdwn11 (02-17-2013), RANDY IN INDY (02-14-2013), remdog (02-14-2013)

  8. #6
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,928

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I will tell you for a FACT that anyone can cite that Rose is the all time hit leader, and if you don't use his photo, you don't pay him anything. It's simply a historical fact. It's not subject to copyright, trademark, or patent. It's pure public domain. So I just don't buy that because he is banned, that Topps can't use his name or his record. This is a CHOICE Topps has made, and it warps the significance of Rose's MLB records.
    Well said.
    Regardless of whether or not Rose or any of the presumed PEDs users should be in the Hall of Fame, one argument for their inclusion which I have never believed was valid was the assertion that unless Rose or Bonds or Clemens or whoever was inducted into the Hall of Fame, then the history of the game was incomplete.
    That argument is simply without merit. It is not necessary to give Bobby Thompson a HOF plaque to document his heroics in the 1951 NL playoffs ( "The Giants Win The Pennant! The Giants Win The Pennant!"). Don Larsen didn't need to be inducted in the HOF for his World Series perfect game to be recalled in Cooperstown. And I know as a fact that, at least as of last July, even though Rose isn't in the HOF, the career of Pete Rose is documented there. I viewed one of Rose's uniforms on display there last July, along with other documentation of his accomplishments as a player.
    However, what MLB has reportedly done in this instance is the equivalent of airbrushing history. It isn't an unknown player who got 4256 hits-it was Pete Rose. Documenting that historical fact is not promoting Rose, it is simply accurately recording baseball history.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  9. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,940

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    First of all, he was never in any way punished for greenies, nor was anyone else in his era. Not Aaron, Mays, Bench, etc. Greenies were apparently readily availbale in every MLB club house, and it is totally wrong to pick Rose out of everyone else on that issue. This has been hashed over by Pete Rose haters for years and I, for one, am sick and tired of it.

    He was banned for gambling on baseball. Period. That infraction is certainly bad enough in it's own right, but in no way does it impact the wonderful playing career that Pete Rose gave us. In no conceivable way does it diminish his 4,256 career hits. Period.
    I would throw all of those guys under the bus too if they were brought up as never taking anything. But someone specifically brought up Pete as never taking something. He did. And it is banned in MLB right now.

    His being kicked out of baseball absolutely impacts his playing career. We can't look back on it the same way. We aren't allowed to celebrate it. No Pete Rose bobblehead. No Pete Rose number 14 retirement night. Nothing.

    Finally, why would Topps choose to omit Rose's all-time hit record, without also 'taking away' Bonds all time or single season HR record? There is a guy whose infractions directly impacted his records.
    Barry Bonds isn't banned from baseball. He is currently allowed to be on MLB merchandise. Pete isn't.

    Topps may like the publicity this gets, but I for one am finished with their products for good. I'm closing my E-Topps account, and never buying from them again.
    Holy overreaction Batman.

  10. #8
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,297

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Topps is an Eisner run company, simply looking for free press in a market saturated and dated

  11. Likes:

    Cursh14 (02-13-2013)

  12. #9
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,244

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    I didn't realize that Topps had the authority to do this.

    Can someone explain which of Rose's hits became illegitimate because he bet on baseball?

  13. #10
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,774

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    I am about as far as you can get from being a Pete Rose kool aid drinker but thats just stupid.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  14. Likes:

    cincy09 (02-13-2013), cincyinco (02-14-2013), kbrake (02-14-2013)

  15. #11
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    I like the logic used to reach the decision--simple and plain and simple. In other words, I just decided it was right, so it was right.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  16. Likes:

    Screwball (02-14-2013)

  17. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    361

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    As westofyou said, this is so obviously an orchestrated move to manufacture a controversy and get people to talk about baseball cards for the first time since 1986.

  18. #13
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,774

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    As westofyou said, this is so obviously an orchestrated move to manufacture a controversy and get people to talk about baseball cards for the first time since 1986.
    Yea but I think it will back fire. In the court of public opinion Pete is still loved by the fans so I can see a backlash where fans wont buy Topps cards as a form of protest.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  19. #14
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,928

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    "You can't fix stupid"-Ron White.
    To be consistent, Topps should announce that Ty Cobb will no longer be listed as having the highest career batting average because he was a racist and a really mean guy, so the honor of having the highest career batting average will go to Rogers Hornsby.....er, wait, Hornsby may have also been a bigot and he certainly was by all accounts a self-centered jerk, so the career batting average leader is now Shoeless Joe Jackson....er, wait, "Black Sox" you say.....hmmmm.....
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  20. Likes:

    JB12 (02-14-2013), mth123 (02-14-2013), OnBaseMachine (02-14-2013)

  21. #15
    Member foxfire123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hell, aka Eastern Missouri.
    Posts
    712

    Re: TOPPS disses Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Yea but I think it will back fire. In the court of public opinion Pete is still loved by the fans so I can see a backlash where fans wont buy Topps cards as a form of protest.
    Yeah, this. Hubby is a hard core card collector, but once he hears this, he'll not buy another Topps pack, new at least. He may put money in the pocket of a secondary seller of older cards, but he won't put money directly into their pocket.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25