Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TOPPS disses Rose

TOPPS disses Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TOPPS disses Rose

As I've said many times else. I HATE revisionist history. Acting like something didn't happen neither honors the game nor educates the fans.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (02-13-2013),Scrap Irony (02-13-2013)

Topps is an Eisner run company, simply looking for free press in a market saturated and dated

6. Likes:

Cursh14 (02-13-2013)

I didn't realize that Topps had the authority to do this.

Can someone explain which of Rose's hits became illegitimate because he bet on baseball?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I am about as far as you can get from being a Pete Rose kool aid drinker but thats just stupid.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

9. Likes:

cincy09 (02-13-2013),cincyinco (02-14-2013),kbrake (02-13-2013)

I like the logic used to reach the decision--simple and plain and simple. In other words, I just decided it was right, so it was right.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

11. Likes:

Screwball (02-14-2013)

As westofyou said, this is so obviously an orchestrated move to manufacture a controversy and get people to talk about baseball cards for the first time since 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    As westofyou said, this is so obviously an orchestrated move to manufacture a controversy and get people to talk about baseball cards for the first time since 1986.
    Yea but I think it will back fire. In the court of public opinion Pete is still loved by the fans so I can see a backlash where fans wont buy Topps cards as a form of protest.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am about as far as you can get from being a Pete Rose kool aid drinker but thats just stupid.
    Agreed! I have grown weary of even hearing his name, but this is idiotic!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I dislike Pete Rose for many, many things, but this makes zero sense.

"You can't fix stupid"-Ron White.
    To be consistent, Topps should announce that Ty Cobb will no longer be listed as having the highest career batting average because he was a racist and a really mean guy, so the honor of having the highest career batting average will go to Rogers Hornsby.....er, wait, Hornsby may have also been a bigot and he certainly was by all accounts a self-centered jerk, so the career batting average leader is now Shoeless Joe Jackson....er, wait, "Black Sox" you say.....hmmmm.....
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

17. Likes:

JB12 (02-13-2013),mth123 (02-14-2013),OnBaseMachine (02-14-2013)

Have we gotten a response from Pete yet? Is he on Twitter? I feel like sooner or later he's just going to turn into The Iron Sheik and begin saying things like "F-- the no good Topps!"
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Chip R (02-13-2013),Number_Fourteen (02-13-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I heart manufactured controversy.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

No ... Topps did not diss Pete Rose.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/02/...its-mlbs-call/

Pete Rose has been banned from Major League Baseball and on its Ineligible List for more than 20 years now and that has meant one thing that should be obvious to collectors.

He hasn’t had a single, officially licensed baseball card since.

It’s nothing new, but his name being omitted from the Career Chase trivia lines in the 2013 Topps baseball set has at least one collector angry, who foolishly took Topps to task for something that’s out if its hands.

And I’ll use the word again. Foolish.

Why would I say that? Rose is on baseball’s Ineligible List — banned for life from the game for his gambling habits while manager of the Cincinnati Reds. That bans him from MLB products, too — and that’s Major League Baseball’s call. A player who is banned will not be in an MLB-approved product — period.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

They let Rose be part of the All-Century Team, on-field at an MLB-sanctioned event (ASG). I think one e-mail to MLB would have cleared the issue of putting his name (not his image, not his likeness, but the 8 letters that spell out his name) on a card.

Though, it's not like they've been particularly troubled by the issue of putting Rose's name on cards in the past (2006 Topps):

It's such a non-issue, though. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Topps was behind the "outrage" that started it as part of a viral marketing campaign to get people talking about baseball cards.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-13-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?