Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Articles

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Articles

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From C. Trent:

Watching Aroldis Chapman take BP and he just hit one off the scoreboard

https://twitter.com/ctrent
    I couldn't find an article on it, but I thought I remembered when Chapman first signed that they said he was a good hitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From C. Trent:

Watching Aroldis Chapman take BP and he just hit one off the scoreboard

https://twitter.com/ctrent
    Nice. Need to get that bat in the lineup every 5th day.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

John Fay - Drew Hayes' arm part of Reds' future

“I’m really enjoying it,” he said. “This is a good group of guys. Being around them for an extended period of time has been really good. There’s a lot of older guys who are really open to younger guys, open to answering questions. It’s really been a help.”

Hayes has made five appearances. Hayes allowed one run over six games in 4 2/3 innings.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Nice article from John Fay on J.J. Hoover. I really hope he isn't screwed out of a bullpen spot. He deserves to be on the team over Ondrusek.

So the last bullpen spot could come down to Hoover and Logan Ondrusek. Hoover doesn’t worry about that. He’s concentrating on pitching well.

“That’s all can do,” he said. “Until (Tuesday) night, I didn’t really feel like my fastball was there. It was finally back to where it should be. I still have to fine tune some things like my breaking ball.”

Hoover’s fastball is key for him.

“There’s a hidden deception in his delivery,” pitching coach Bryan Price said. “When he’s throwing 92 to 94, he’s gets a reaction from the hitter than plays above the velocity. He pitches with 96, 97 mile per hour fastball, even though the gun reading suggests otherwise. Hitters don’t see it and he has the little special life, where his ball takes off with a second gear.”
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...PT04/303130168

C. Trent article on Sam LeCure:

GOODYEAR, Ariz. - One minute Sam LeCure is talking about how he's worried about making the Reds' Opening Day roster and not 10 minutes later, Reds manager Dusty Baker told the assembled media in his spring training office just how important the right-hander is to the team.

Whether LeCure wants to believe it or not, he's going to make the team. While LeCure wore a smile under his bushy facial hair as he talked about his chances to head north with the team, deep down, there was a nugget of truth. Until you have a long-term contract or you're out of options, there's still that lingering doubt. What's ironic about LeCure's apparent lack of confidence is that on the field, the 28-year-old is brimming with confidence. That confidence has made him the indispensable member of the Reds' bullpen that he has become.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...PT04/303150060

LeCure's 'stache has it's only slot on the 40 man roster.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I didn't think he'd be very good at this level, but LeCure has been pretty excellent in his role.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

ESPN article regarding Chapman's desire to close.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/st...ds-wants-close
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...to-on-hitting/

I was a big pull hitter in high school, but when I tried to do that in Midwest League, I failed,” he said when we talked about hitting. He’s remembering it right, too — his .231/.348/.287 line in that league was very un-Votto-ian even if the walks were there. But since then he’s changed his approach in order to use the entire ballpark.
    There came a time after his debut where Votto decided his approach wasn’t working. As he puts it, “I chose not to make outs any more.” He leveled his swing, chose to hit the ball to all parts of the field, focused on contact, patience, and line drives, and became one of the best hitters in baseball.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-22-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Mike Leake playing the "dispected" card, while wearing a Macy's tee shirt, no doubt.

AZCentral.com features former Arizona State standout Mike Leake and how he is approaching this season with a more assertive attitude. Leake seems to feel a little disrespected that nobody is really giving him a chance to earn the fifth spot in the rotation. I'm not ready to count the young right-hander out. He is a talented athlete and was arguably the Reds most reliable starter in 2011.

C. Trent on Billy Hamilton:

Another note on that, often big league players play in minor league games and Sunday was no different. Zack Cozart, Jack Hannahan and Corky Miler got at-bats in both the Triple-A and Double- A games, while Sam LeCure threw in a Triple-A game. LeCure struck out two, but thought he’d given up a double on another. Because, especially at that level, players are working on certain things this time of year, LeCure said he was being deliberate on his follow-through, and had his head down. He heard the pop of the bat and was sure it was a double. Instead, He saw the 6 on Hamilton’s back and the center fielder hauling the ball in for an out.

I’ve talked to several scouts who have liked what they’ve seen from in the outfield, as well.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/03/25/bar032513/

Little tidbit on Donald.. I wonder if this injury costs him the utility infielder slot?

INF Jason Donald will get some at-bats in minor league camp. He is out with a sore knee. Donald is one of three players competing for the Reds' final utility role. ...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?