23 46.94%
  • Offense

26 53.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense or Offense??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Defense or Offense??

If you had your choice of going to a game and seeing either a defensive battle or an offensive battle what would you choose? Both scenarios will result in a Reds win.

For example, a defensive battle would be something along the lines of Johnny Cueto on the mound pitching lights out with 2-3 defensive gems by Brandon Phillips and Zach Cozart all worthy of being shown on ESPN. Then the closer (whoever that may be) has a lights out 1,2,3 performance in the 9th.

An offensive battle would be something along the lines of 3-4 homeruns on the day for the Reds. A couple of base clearing, extra basehits with the game ultimately being decided by a Jay Bruce walk off grand slamin the 9th.

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer here, just a matter of opinion. For the longest time I have had a hunch what Reds fans as a group would pick so this is as good as time as any to find out if I am right.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Re: Defense or Offense??

I love a good pitching duel, I really do, but for being at the game nothing beats a walk-off homer.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I love a good pitching duel, I really do, but for being at the game nothing beats a walk-off homer.

Spot on.

Between your two scenarios I picked offense. That kind of game would be incredible to be a part of. However, don't let it take away from the thrill of a high-tension defensive battle. The game before the ASB last year when we swept the Cardinals comes to mind, and by far that was my favorite game of the year that I attended. Wins from a defensive-type game feel much more earned, but a walk off HR to one of those games would taste much much sweeter.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

8-7 games are the best, although 2-1 games come in a close second.

I'd be more jazzed up to have watched the offensive battle end with a walk-off. (that's what I voted for)

However the purist in me would appreciate the defensive struggle more.

Either way it seems the Reds would have just won a great game so I'm happy regardless.

Game 3 was incredible to be at. Pitching duels in the playoffs are where it's at. Sucks Homer got no help though.

Defense.

There's much more strategy to a tight defensive game where every decision and play matters, where one mistake or one great play could decide the game. I love baseball because its the most intellectual, most strategic of all the major sports. If I want action, I'll turn on the NBA or NFL.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Defense.

There's much more strategy to a tight defensive game where every decision and play matters, where one mistake or one great play could decide the game. I love baseball because its the most intellectual, most strategic of all the major sports. If I want action, I'll turn on the NBA or NFL.
    Kinda my thoughts to. Baseball to me is more of a chess match than the NFL or the NBA could ever dream of being.

Also just from my perpsective I would rather see a diving Eric Davis type catch in the outfield or Davey Concepcion acrobatic play at short than I would an Adam Dunn type bomb. Good defense to me is a thing of pure unadulterated beauty.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

A good pitching duel trumps all, but a pitching duel and a low scoring game can be two entirely different things IMO. Watching two aces match zeros for 7 or 8 innings is as entertaining as it gets. Watching a couple back-of-the-rotation noodle arms meander their way through dead lineups is just the worst kind of game for me. It's all context I guess. I love watching pretty much all of our pitchers, so I'd say defense for now. Back in the Jose Acevedo days, give me a 10-9 game every time.

11. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (02-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    A good pitching duel trumps all, but a pitching duel and a low scoring game can be two entirely different things IMO. Watching two aces match zeros for 7 or 8 innings is as entertaining as it gets. Watching a couple back-of-the-rotation noodle arms meander their way through dead lineups is just the worst kind of game for me. It's all context I guess. I love watching pretty much all of our pitchers, so I'd say defense for now. Back in the Jose Acevedo days, give me a 10-9 game every time.
    Yep. The feeling when every pitch matters is greater than when teams trade HR's every half inning, IMO

For a Level Playing Field

Offense? Reminds me of many lost years in Cincinnati. Scoring 8 runs, but giving up 11. As a matter of fact the entire first decade of the 21st century comes to mind.

Defense? Makes me think of playoff appearances in 2010 and 2012.

That is all the thinking I need to do revelant to this topic.

It depends upon my mood that day, who is managing and who is pitching.

Watching a bunch of ground balls hit right at infielders against a guy pitching to contact really isn't that riveting. Watching certain managers in situations where their decisions are in the spot light can be a bit maddening.

But truthfully, if I know how the game was going to turn out, I probably would find something else to do that day.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Both. Last season I witnessed in DC a 2-1 pitching duel that was a good game. Although the Reds were on the losing end of it. Later in the season I saw a 10-9 game between the Nats and Cards. It was equally fun to watch. The one downside to high scoring games is that often times there are a ton of walks and pitching changes that drag the game. So if you put a gun to my head I would say a low scoring defensive/pitching game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I had to go w/ defense. I love how thick the air gets at the yard when the zeros are piling up. The anticipation of seeing who will blink first is my favorite kind of ballgame.

Turn Off Ads?