Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What team makes the jump to contention this year?

What team makes the jump to contention this year?

A post in the hyped team doesn't make playoffs thread by M2 go me thinking... What relatively un-hyped or average team makes the jump? M2 suggested the Royals COULD be if they get a good performance from their pitching, and i have to agree. I'd also watch out for the Indians, as defensively I think they will greatly assist what could be a better than average rotation. The AL Central, while weak, is winnable by more than just the Tigers.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What team makes the jump to contention this year?

Do the Phillies count? Otherwise, the obvious team is the Blue Jays...

I'm slightly intrigued by the Mariners. If Montero and Ackley can perform at their potential level and if Morse and Morales stay healthy they might see the A's fall back to earth and the Ranger's less potent as well.

Don't sleep on the Phillies. They were mean down the stretch last year when they got healthy.

Yeah but the Blue Jays are kinda hyped.. i guess i meant what team can come from almost nowhere and surprise. Last year it was Baltimore and Oakland. I don't think too many people were picking them for a post season appearance.

And I do think the Phillies count. Nobody is really talking about them, but that rotation is still one of the best in the NL, they have some interesting new position players, and are a year removed from most of the team's injuries.

Well, my other surprise team is the Brewers. Their Pythag was 85-77 last year. We know they have a good offense, and there is no way their bullpen can be that bad again. But with full seasons from Estrada and Fiers I think they could potentially more than replace Greinke...

Nobody. At least on the scale of what Baltimore and Oakland did last season. Oakland traded their rotation and people thought they could be one of the worst teams in the league. Baltimore was 20+ games over .500 in 1 run games! That won't happen in another two decades.

If I had to pick a surprising team/s I think I would go with Arizona and maybe Seattle. I can see Arizona stepping up and surprising people. I also think that with a 2nd wild card Seattle could take advantage of adding the Astro's into their division and up their win total.

Kansas City. They play in a relatively easy division, they have the pieces to have a nice offensive core with Butler, Gordon, Hosmer and Perez and they've added Shields and a couple other serviceable arms to address their woefully bad rotation. Everything would need to break right, but I could see it happening.

People keep saying Seattle, and I just don't see it. That offense, even with the additions is all kinds of bad, and the rotation past Felix is meh at best. If anything, I think Oakland will be better this year. With TX likely worse.

The Marlins.

LOLOLOLOL just kidding. But seriously, I'm going to do something crazy and say the Padres. Their offense was surprisingly productive down the stretch last season, and they always manage to have a fantastic bullpen. If their rotation can be average, and some other teams deal with injuries, I could see them slipping into a Wild Card spot with 85-88 wins.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, the past several years I've picked the Pirates. And while they looked like they were going to fulfill that promise the past 2 years, they've collapsed at the end. I don't care for what they've done on the offensive side of the ball but I do like their pitching going forward (most notably their farm). So I'll shy away from them this year. I think they'll struggle offensively more than last year. I think the Royals may jump up and surprise some people. They've had a bunch of young promising players the past few years who've dealt with growing pains as expected...but I think things come together somewhat this year. I didn't like that they shipped off Wil Myers but they do have Starling coming up too. They really improved their pitching and if their young guys advance as you'd expect they could be considerably better in 2013.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-15-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo

I'll go with the Royals as well. If Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas step and hit like they are capable of, I could see the Royals winning 85-88 games playing in that division.

Senor Votto

Do the Angels count?

I think the Giants look like they're ready to step up.

No, wait a minute....
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Im going with the Red Sox. I think they bounce back and have a great year. They still have a very good offense and the pitching isnt so bad. Maybe there bullpen steps up and performs this year. I just think after all the injuries they had last year and the Bobby V. nightmare that they have nowhere to go but up. I think the Jays and the Dodgers will be OK but not great. Rarely when a team goes out and spends millions and millions do they end up having a great season. Look at the Marlins last year. It takes a great bullpen and a one two punch at the top of the rotation plus some good team chemistry to make a deep run, and having a huge turnover from one year to the next could spell dissapointment.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Arizona Diamondbacks will win 90 games.

Turn Off Ads?