Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What team makes the jump to contention this year?

Re: What team makes the jump to contention this year?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Arizona Diamondbacks will win 90 games.
    That was my pick. I could see them doing well in the NL west. Seattle could be too. They have some good young players and a couple of good starters at the top of the rotation.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Astros will win 44 games this season instead of the 42 most are predicting.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

4. Likes:

elfmanvt07 (02-16-2013), Tommyjohn25 (02-15-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Wait...are you counting spring training games? And more importantly split squad games?
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This Astros squad may go down as the worst in history. I can only think of two guys that I would want on my team, Lucas Harrell and Jose Altuve. I think they may be so bad that they may only win 40 games.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This Astros squad may go down as the worst in history. I can only think of two guys that I would want on my team, Lucas Harrell and Jose Altuve. I think they may be so bad that they may only win 40 games.
    I was only joking. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they win 42-44 games. That's the top end. It's gonna be a long, long year for Astros fans.

Wesley Wright would look good in the Reds bullpen. Bud Norris has a good arm too. But yeah, other than those guys, I don't see a spot of the Reds roster for any of them.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I'd say the Mets have an outside shot at contention. Their rotation could potentially be very good, if the youngsters (Gee and Harvey) live up to expectations, and if the veterans (Santana and Marcum) bounce back from injuries. Also, although the Braves have received a lot of attention this off season, I don't think they're demonstrably better than they were in 2012, and the Marlins are obviously worse, so the Mets' schedule could work to their advantage.

The obvious problem is the outfield, but sometimes surprising things happen out there (just look at Ryan Ludwick last year). Maybe someone will catch fire for the Mets, and help lead them to, if not contention, at least respectability.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    "Let's keep doing this until we get the next Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper in the draft."
    -optimistic Astros executives

But the Astros do have reason for optimism--just not in 2013. They have young, impact players with potential at every position.
    C Jason Castro/Max Stassi
    1B Jonathan Singleton
    2B Jose Altuve/Delino DeShields Jr.
    3B Rio Ruiz/Matt Dominguez
    SS Carlos Correa/Nolan/Fantana/Jonathan Villar/Jiovanni Mier
    LF Marc Krauss/J.D. Martinez
    CF George Springer/Robbie Grossman
    RF Domingo Santana/Ariel Ovando

Not to mention the unreal quantity of pitching talent in the low minors ...
    SP Jarred Cosart
    SP Lance McCullers
    SP Mike Foltynewicz
    SP Bud Norris
    SP Jordan Lyles
    SP Asher Wojciechowski
    SP Vincent Velasquez
    SP Adrian Houser
    SP Brady Rogers
    SP Aaron West
    SP Joe Musgrove
    SP Kevin Comer

They've got a long way to go, but things don't look nearly as futile as they did before Luhnow was hired. And to add to their impressive list of prospects, they have been drafting well recently and are likely to get more elite talent in the upcoming drafts after the Astros finish in last place for the next season or two.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-15-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (02-15-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree with cam. People look at the Astros MLB roster and shudder...but they've got some real quality studs in the pipeline now. And he's also right in the fact that they really spread the wealth around. It's not in a few positions...it's nearly EVERY position. 2 or 3 years of really sucking is just going to add even more talent to the crop. But once they get close, they'll be a force because they've still got the checkbook to envy.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I'll go with the Phillies. They still have an excellent pitching staff if Halladay is healthy. Guys like Howard and Utley appear healthy finally. The team is definitely old, but they still have a ton of talent. If things break right they can knock off the Nationals and take the division.

Pirates. They'll fade, but they may contend a bit longer this year.

No mention of the White Sox yet. Sale, Peavey, Floyd and Danks is a pretty solid rotation. They have power with Dunn, Konerko and Viciedo and sold role playes in De Aza, Rios, Ramirez and Keppinger. Reed, Thornton, Crain and Lindstrom give them enough for the late innings. It would all need to go right, but they have a core capable of winning some games.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I'd say the Royals too. Many have been saying trading Myers was a mistake, but they've been able to produce position players lately, but haven't been able to produce a pitcher to save their lives. They need a guy like Shields. I could see this year being the beginning of good things for KC.

The Astros will be interesting to watch. I've seen teams rebuild over the years, but nothing like this. They stripped the whole thing bare and took gasoline to it. I'm mad that they were moved to the AL (should've been Milwaukee) but their future is exciting... A ton of prospects, new league, new division (with a geographic rival) and new uniforms. It's almost like they are an expansion team playing in the old Astros ballpark. I'll be rooting for them to do well in the AL the next few years. Would be awesome to meet them in a World Series.
    Last edited by joshua; 02-16-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Turn Off Ads?