Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Only BP, but Votto goes yard

Only BP, but Votto goes yard

Nice tweet to read from John Fay.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Only BP, but Votto goes yard

Nice indeed!

“I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I think at this point it's in his head. He needs to go out and prove it to himself that it is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Did we read the same article?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I had the same reaction. Joey's just anxious to get back out there on the field and play again but there's nothing structurally wrong with the knee anymore. It makes sense that he wants to be back on the field and get going with the next part of preparation after an offseason of rehab and exercize.

LOVE that he cleared the fences in his first BP session!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

IIRC, the beat guys said that when Joey came back from the injury last year, he was still the same BP batter, so this isn't surprising.

I think it's definitely all in his head until that first one goes over. Hopefully Jered Weaver has to get a new baseball in the first inning this year.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

From the article:

He passed his spring training physical on Friday, getting good results. He says the knee feels good, though not perfect. Now he wants to see how it reacts when he starts playing baseball again.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2L0lk0OBd

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    I think at this point it's in his head. He needs to go out and prove it to himself that it is fine.
    Yup. He won't be satisfied with his knee til he starts hitting the seats in games.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    I had basically the exact same injury (torn meniscus) last December and was recovered enough for athletic activity after about four months. There was a point where I actually "felt" it heal that last little bit. After that feeling, I knew I could do pretty much everything I'd done before.

However, each injury IS different, and each person is different. And of course there's a different standard of healing for world-class athletes compared to your average Joe who bowls or works out regularly like I do. But after 8 months, based on my own experience, I'd say it's more in his head than anything.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    He says the knee feels good, though not perfect.
    Sure its just in his head. I wonder how much longer its going to be before he believes the doctors when they say he is 100%? If he passed the physical, they must have said the knee was fine. Didn't they tell him last September that the knee was 100%? If not, why was he even cleared to play?

As Dan said, every injury is different.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I had basically the exact same injury (torn meniscus) last December and was recovered enough for athletic activity after about four months. There was a point where I actually "felt" it heal that last little bit. After that feeling, I knew I could do pretty much everything I'd done before.

However, each injury IS different, and each person is different. And of course there's a different standard of healing for world-class athletes compared to your average Joe who bowls or works out regularly like I do. But after 8 months, based on my own experience, I'd say it's more in his head than anything.
    I had mine almost 9 years ago, but still feel it at times. I'm not sure the circumstances with JV, but I had a partial tear that I didn't realize was a big deal until the full tear finally happened. I actually didn't think that was too big of a deal until the next morning when I still couldn't extend it. My knee would fall out of socket and I could kind of turn my hip and it would shift back in. When the full tear happened, it was kind of like it fell out of socket, but it hurt quite a bit more and I never got the feeling that I put it "back" into the socket.

I was able to start running maybe 2 weeks after the surgery, but honestly every now and again I notice it's a bit weaker than my left knee, if I'm playing ball or running, or doing something strenuous. Everyone's body heals differently, but "100%" on my right knee is really closer to 95%.

All that said, JV is a world class athlete who would probably rehab much more intensively than I, and he surely had a better scope doctor than I did.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

NFL LINEMAN have played without missing games with this injury. I have had this injury. I don't know how they could have played that next week. But after 6 weeks? I was running full court basketball in 8 weeks without professional rehab. I don't know what the heck has gone wrong with Votto's knee, but the fact that a stinkin' meniscus tear in JUNE of last year is still an issue, be it in his head or actually an issue, is flat out crazy. Guys come back from ACL tears in 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I had basically the exact same injury (torn meniscus) However, each injury IS different, and each person is different. And of course there's a different standard of healing for world-class athletes compared to your average Joe who bowls or works out regularly like I do.

I've had meniscus surgery as well. Injuries and people are different and they heal differently as well.

The importance of the return of Votto's power stroke for the Reds offense cannot be understated.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

elfmanvt07 (02-16-2013)

Turn Off Ads?