Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #24 prospect for 2013?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sean Buckley

0 0%
  • Drew Cisco

7 20.59%
  • Jacob Constante

6 17.65%
  • Carlos Contreras

2 5.88%
  • Tim Crabbe

0 0%
  • Pedro Diaz

0 0%
  • Jeff Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • Drew Hayes

1 2.94%
  • Jeremy Kivel

0 0%
  • Travis Mattair

0 0%
  • Jonathan Moscot

1 2.94%
  • Curtis Partch

1 2.94%
  • Juan Perez

0 0%
  • Josh Ravin

1 2.94%
  • Sal Romano

0 0%
  • Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

0 0%
  • Juan Silva

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

2 5.88%
  • Zach Vincej

2 5.88%
  • Ryan Wright

11 32.35%
  • Other (Please Name)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #24 prospect for 2013?

Who is Redszone's #24 prospect for 2013?

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield
    12) Neftali Soto
    13) Donald Lutz
    14) Chad Rogers
    15) Tucker Barnhart
    16) David Vidal
    17) Seth Mejias-Brean
    18) Kyle Lotzkar
    19) Jeff Gelalich
    20) Ryan LaMarre
    21) Jonathan Reynoso
    22) Amir Garrett
    23) Kyle Waldrop

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #24 prospect for 2013?

Constante. From everything I've read, he sounds like the real deal.

Finally get to vote for somebody other than Waldrop. Went back to my usual preference for pitchers: Cisco.

Contreras, based solely on the Reds decision to protect him.

Can anyone comment on the defense of Zach Vincej?

This one will be Wright, but I went Costante. I see some interesting battles among pitching prospects looming.

That said, Im honestly wondering what the guy who keeps picking Curtis Partch sees in a 26 year old who had a 4.73 ERA and 4.2 BB/9 at AA and doesnt seem to have a spot in the AAA rotation this year.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    That said, Im honestly wondering what the guy who keeps picking Curtis Partch sees in a 26 year old who had a 4.73 ERA and 4.2 BB/9 at AA and doesnt seem to have a spot in the AAA rotation this year.
    I'm not the Partch voter, but he's no longer a starting pitcher. He was a dreadful starter for more than four years, and then, early last season, they moved him to the pen and he took off. He had two or three awful outings but by and large was outstanding in relief. He's a big guy whose good stuff seems to play well in that role. Looking in from the outside, he was immediately transformed from hopeless to prospect.

I went Cisco again.

I am still trying to get a sense of the type of prospect that Vincej is. The following link suggests that he is a superior defender.

http://www.pepperdinesports.com/spor...063012aaa.html

Yet he was drafted in the 37th round and signed without a bonus. BA did not post a scouting report on him. Was it believed that he would return to school? or never hit? His small sample stats in a hitter's league showed promise. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I am still trying to get a sense of the type of prospect that Vincej is. The following link suggests that he is a superior defender.

http://www.pepperdinesports.com/spor...063012aaa.html

Yet he was drafted in the 37th round and signed without a bonus. BA did not post a scouting report on him. Was it believed that he would return to school? or never hit? His small sample stats in a hitter's league showed promise. Any thoughts?
    Yes, Vincej fell because it was believed he would return to school. However, he was never considered a top talent.

While it's probably too early for him, I'm going with Vincej. It's a crapshoot at this point, but his defense (WCC Defensive Player of the Year and ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove) combined with the bat he showed in Billings give some hope (granted, the .336/.393/.434 line came with a .382 BABIP).

A bit of a lottery ticket, but he smells a lot like Cozart to me. Brooks Wallace Award Winner for best college shortstop, redsof72 was high on him, and though it's not verified anywhere, being a deadline signee I wonder if he was signed over slot money.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I wouldn't vote for Vincej if we went to 75 prospects. He is a glove. His bat is weak. It projects to keep being weak.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't vote for Vincej if we went to 75 prospects. He is a glove. His bat is weak. It projects to keep being weak.
    That seems a bit hyperbolic.

In a 143 ABs in Billings, he had 12 extra base hits. At 21, he 's only 165 lbs., so there's still a chance he could fill out and develop some power.

It sounds like he's capable of plus defense. At a premium position, he doesn't need to hit like Cal Ripken, Jr. to have some value to the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    That seems a bit hyperbolic.

In a 143 ABs in Billings, he had 12 extra base hits. At 21, he 's only 165 lbs., so there's still a chance he could fill out and develop some power.

It sounds like he's capable of plus defense. At a premium position, he doesn't need to hit like Cal Ripken, Jr. to have some value to the organization.

He had an IsoP of roughly .100 in the Pioneer League coming out of college. That is incredibly poor power output. If he is that size at 21 after playing college baseball (where they have gyms and trainers and training regimens), he probably isn't going to put on a bunch of weight.

I am not saying he can't be of value to the organization. Maybe he turns into a Miguel Rojas type. But I don't see him ever being a Major Leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He had an IsoP of roughly .100 in the Pioneer League coming out of college. That is incredibly poor power output. If he is that size at 21 after playing college baseball (where they have gyms and trainers and training regimens), he probably isn't going to put on a bunch of weight.

I am not saying he can't be of value to the organization. Maybe he turns into a Miguel Rojas type. But I don't see him ever being a Major Leaguer.
    I think you're underselling his bat.

Miguel Rojas has never OPS'd over .665. His slash numbers at Billings (albeit at age 19) were .183/.243/.245.

While I realize Vincej's numbers were largely BABIP-driven, he's a different caliber at the plate than Rojas. Last year at Pepperdine, he OPS'd .848, followed by .826 in Billings.

I've witnessed this debate before and know you'll argue this ad nauseam. My concluding point: We're picking longshots at this point. A plus-glove SS with some moxie and chance to hit has some value to the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think you're underselling his bat.

Miguel Rojas has never OPS'd over .665. His slash numbers at Billings (albeit at age 19) were .183/.243/.245.

While I realize Vincej's numbers were largely BABIP-driven, he's a different caliber at the plate than Rojas. Last year at Pepperdine, he OPS'd .848, followed by .826 in Billings.

I've witnessed this debate before and know you'll argue this ad nauseam. My concluding point: We're picking longshots at this point. A plus-glove SS with some moxie and chance to hit has some value to the organization.
    My point was more that he is all glove, no bat. Not that he was a clone of Rojas.

And really we aren't picking longshots here. Well, unless you happened to have voted for Vincej.

Turn Off Ads?