Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pantone Color Change

Pantone Color Change

I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere yet, but rumor has it that the Reds are changing their shade of red. I didn't expect to be able to tell the difference, but I very much can. In the past, I've lamented the fact that the sunday red jerseys can look a little bit pink. Maybe I'm not crazy...

2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Pantone Color Change

Back in the day (first 10 yr outta college) I worked for a big printer. I am not an expert at printing (numbers guy), but I do remember that the standard red (and most used) for print jobs was PMS 199. If a company wanted "normal red" and did not know the PMS, they were given PMS 199 by default.

I find this kinda thing interesting. I grew up somewhere near the University of Tennessee, whose inability to pick a color leads to some pretty horrendous sights on gameday. Thankfully the Reds gear I've seen is a little more uniform.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Copy/pasted from a user on another site:

While I suspect there wasn't much agonizing over the decision there would have been a bit more thought put into it to make the move. Part of me thinks this was done primarily because most media is now digital and Pantone Red 200 shows up much better than Pantone Red 199. You'd be surprised at what user testing will reveal with even the slightest color change.

Here is a better example of the difference between the two.

Control F to #C41E3A for PMS 200. The one right above it is the old reds color. It might seem insignificant to you, but I've seen user testing (A/B) where color can change emotions and perceptions of negativity/positivity even with differences as minute as PMS199 to PMS200.
    I actually like the new Red. I think it looks 'more' red. I'm willing to bet a decent amount of user research showed others felt the same way and some thought went into making this decision, albeit not on a full rebranding scale.
    That sounds like a good explanation to me. I like the deeper red anyway.

6. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-17-2013),elfmanvt07 (02-16-2013),jojo (02-17-2013)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Is the Red only changing on the sunday alternates or on all uniforms?

Also- where is this rumor eminating from? I have not heard it yet.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'm pretty sure it is fact, not rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Also- where is this rumor eminating from? I have not heard it yet.
    Paul Lukas of Uni Watch states it as fact. He is also the source of the original image.

Edit: It's listed in the Uni Watch News Ticker section of this page. Do a page search for "shade".
    Last edited by elfmanvt07; 02-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.

10. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-17-2013)

In actuality... its just changing from a red shade to a more red shade, correct? This isn't the type of thing that is that noticeable or will make people go out and buy all new jerseys, hats etc?

The casual non Redszone fan might not realize it, correct?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    In actuality... its just changing from a red shade to a more red shade, correct? This isn't the type of thing that is that noticeable or will make people go out and buy all new jerseys, hats etc?

The casual non Redszone fan might not realize it, correct?
    It's really about shades of red being on the blue side or the yellow side of the color spectrum. Red200 looks a little bit more on the blue side, but not much. Maybe my monitor isn't accurate. It's like a bit more magenta is is 200.

I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I remember that in the late 60's and mid 70's, you could notice a distinct difference between the colors of the "red" teams on TV games. The Reds, Cards, and Phils(before Burgundy) all had unique shades of red. Cards and Phils were on the darker side. From All-Star game memory, the Senators were an even lighter shade than the Reds. The Indians seemed to be a little darker.

In those days, uniform suppliers were different for some teams, which could have played a role.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 02-16-2013 at 02:09 PM.

I can't really tell the difference.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I can't really tell the difference.
    I can see the difference pretty clearly in the samples in the first post, but that is part of what I do for a living. However, if the change wasn't announced, and it just happened, i don't think anyone would notice at the ballpark or on tv.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

So...when will there be a Battle Royale between the 199ers and the 200ers on here?

- in all seriousness I like the nudge towards a "redder" red

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So...when will there be a Battle Royale between the 199ers and the 200ers on here?

- in all seriousness I like the nudge towards a "redder" red
    You guys can laugh if you want, but I think the new, darker, warmer red implies tradition. Now if we can just get rid of those red seats in GABP...

You can't tell a difference really

Turn Off Ads?