Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailey signs 1yr/$5.35MM Deal - Avoids Arbitration

Bailey signs 1yr/$5.35MM Deal - Avoids Arbitration

I really thought they were going to get an extension worked out. This is sort of surprising, IMO.

-Matt

More Info:

- 1yr/$5.35MM per Jon Heyman
    - Jocketty says they will re-visit a multi-year extension at some point.
    - Jocketty says this was the hardest arbitration year he's ever been involved with.
    - With the Bailey deal, team payroll is at $99.75MM
    Last edited by mattfeet; 02-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds sign Homer Bailey to a one year, $5.35 million contract

The Reds have avoided all their arbitration hearings.
    See http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...one-year-deal/

MODs please move to other thread. My bad.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Re: Bailey signs 1yr Contract - Avoids Arbitration

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I really thought they were going to get an extension worked out. This is sort of surprising, IMO.

-Matt

More Info:

- Jocketty says they will re-visit a multi-year extension at some point.
    - Jocketty says this was the hardest arbitration year he's ever been involved with.
    They've got enough multiyear commitments. They can't continue them for everyone. Homer got left out this year. If we'd had any offense at all in Oct Homer could have been the ace to pitch us deep into the post season. He was throwing that well

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-16-2013),Chip R (02-16-2013),cinredsfan2000 (02-16-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Bailey signs 1yr/$5.35MM Deal - Avoids Arbitration

The last time the Reds went to arbitration with a player was in 2004. Chris Reitsma. The Reds won their case.

It's better to not have to go there.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Is this Bailey's last arbitration year?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Is this Bailey's last arbitration year?
    I believe he has one more year.

Almost an exact split of the differences. This could have been done on day 1. I have to believe that this deal was a last resort after attempts to get a multi-year deal failed. Disappointing. IMO, the probability of a LTC next year has decreased.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yep. Lookin' like Homer wants to keep his options open to get the heck out of here.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Well, if Homer needed motivation to perform in 2013, he just got it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I wonder if part of the reason they couldn't get a multi-year contract done was that Homer expects to be in a better bargaining position next year. He just finished a season in which he pitched better than he ever has, particularly at the end of the year. If he believes that he will continue this into 2013 and continue his huge step forward, it would be in his interests to not sign for more than one year.

It's the same as when some here suggested the Reds trade Bailey now when he's at peak value--there's an excellent chance that he's not at peak value yet.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The last time the Reds went to arbitration with a player was in 2004. Chris Reitsma. The Reds won their case.

It's better to not have to go there.
    Didn't they end up with an unhappy Reitsma and end up trading him for some Bong (play on words).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yep. Lookin' like Homer wants to keep his options open to get the heck out of here.
    That's what many people said about Votto. You may have been one of them for all I know.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Said it in the other thread, but I think Homer is pretty foolhardy to turn down long term dollars given his injury history and (other than last year) fairly mixed bag of results.

If I were his agent, I'd have told him to jump all over a 4-5 year deal if the finances were even remotely competitive.

A 4 year deal still leaves him hitting free agency at 30, in prime position to sign a 5-6 year deal if he pitches well. And, if his arm explodes or he underperforms, they can't take away the ~$35m he'd likely earn on a 4 year deal ($4 / $7 / $11 / $14 ish)
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Well, if Homer needed motivation to perform in 2013, he just got it.
    And this is why I don't mind going year-to-year with Homer. Consistency and focus have been issues for him in the past. Nothing wrong with the carrot of a big payday dangling in front of him. Here's to Homer Bailey becoming an insanely rich young man.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Who is Bailey's agent?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?