Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The NCAA Lacks Institutional Control

The NCAA Lacks Institutional Control

I think it might be time to clean house.

http://deadspin.com/5985097/the-ncaa...tional-control
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The NCAA Lacks Institutional Control

It's been long past time for a house cleaning in Indy. This stuff is just the latest in a long line of things. Why do you think the joke of "Welp, they're investigating (Insert major university here), so (Insert little university here) is sweating bullets" is so true?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Perhaps there needs to be a new organization to run major collegiate sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

Joseph (02-20-2013)

Maybe RZ could take it on as a project. We're pretty smart around here.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps there needs to be a new organization to run major collegiate sports.
    Winner winner chicken dinner.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I'm not sure how a new organization really helps. It's still going to be an organization run by the member schools. I guess it's possible that just by blowing the place up and starting over you'd do better the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm not sure how a new organization really helps. It's still going to be an organization run by the member schools. I guess it's possible that just by blowing the place up and starting over you'd do better the next time.
    That's true. Every once in a while you hear about people complaining about the draconian NCAA and the response is that the NCAA is made up of all the schools and they could change the rules if they wanted.

It just seems odd - and I know it's like this in all major sports - that the NCAA is not only the police but they are also the prosecutor, judge and jury.

I'm not sure I know what the answer is. Maybe blowing it up and starting from scratch is the way to go but would the new organization be any better than the current one? The problem I see there is when the new organization is being constructed, there will be schools running wild doing things that would make SMU blush. Perhaps another solution would be for schools to defect to another organization. What would happen to the NCAA if, for example, the entire SEC decided to drop out of the NCAA and join the NAIA? I know the NAIA is an organization that is made up of smaller colleges and universities and the SEC competing for championships against current members would be a mismatch of ultimate proportions. However I think you could create divisions where you don't have the tiny schools playing against the former NCAA schools. I'm sure there would be infrastructure issues with the NAIA but if people were serious about fixing things, there could be a way of working things out.

The NCAA basically has no competition so they can pretty much do whatever they want and not worry about any consequences except PR wise. If I don't like my bank, I can go across the street and put my money in another bank. If I don't like my Android I can always get rid of it and get an iPhone. If Miami - or any other school - doesn't like what the NCAA is doing, they have to take what is coming to them.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?