Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is baseball entering a new "Golden Age?"

Is baseball entering a new "Golden Age?"

There will be no arbitration hearings for the first time since the practice started. Everyone is making money hand over foot. This had me thinking about the business of baseball.

T.V rights deals are out of this world and occurring not only in L.A, but in places like Cleveland. T.V people are obsessed with finding live programming that is "DVR proofed".

More people attended games last year than ever before. That has occurred the last nine seasons running now.

Is it as simple as the product is great and people appreciate that? Or is it something Bud and his boys have done?

Baseball isn't something most people sit down and watch for three hours anymore straight through. I think the way baseball has approached technology lately has been impressive.

Curious on others thoughts.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is baseball entering a new "Golden Age?"

Agreed, but it sometimes it is scary when things seem too good.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Baseball, is far and away, ahead of every other sport when it comes too the use of technology and presenting things to the fans through it. It isn't even close. I think that is one thing that gives them a major advantage over the other sports right now.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Baseball, is far and away, ahead of every other sport when it comes too the use of technology and presenting things to the fans through it. It isn't even close. I think that is one thing that gives them a major advantage over the other sports right now.
    I don't know. Tennis does have that electronic line judge thing.

I don't know about that, football I would say is a little ahead of baseball IMO
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 02-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Is that anything like making money hand over fist?

8. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-17-2013),scott91575 (02-18-2013)

I would say so because everyone is doing so well we are going to see much less turnover from the big stars. My boys are 9 and 8. Ones favorite player is votto others is Phillips. They have a great chance to see those guys play majority of their career in cincy. That is not unique to Reds. All across the league teams are extending the players and not letting them hit free agency. I think it will help grow the sport now that baseball fans will get to really develop more attachment to players growing up.

10. Likes:

remdog (02-17-2013)

I think baseball being relevant once again in Cincinnati surely helps. Steroids aren't as rampant as they once were; regardless of their effect on the game, their presence hurts the sport. Long term contracts like stated above give faces to the organization(s). The decline of 70 HR hitters and rise of perfect games and no-no's maintains the thrill of the game yet adds tense moments. The good chance the Yankees won't make the playoffs in 2013. Jay Bruce's and Brandon Phillips' smiles. I'd say baseball is in a much better place than where it was around the year 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The NBA is an interesting counterpoint. It lets anything get posted to youtube and is way ahead in terms of social media. Of course, those are both much harder to monetize, but when it comes to using technology to grow the popularity of the game, I'm not sure MLB's approach is the best one out there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Another plus is the recent influx of exciting young talent into the game. Mike Trout- my gosh, there's no telling how good he's going to be. Strasbourg and Harper and McCutcheon- and don't forget our own Chapman and Hamilton. I can't wait to see what kind of careers these guys will build for themselves.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (02-18-2013)

Baseball is very affordable even minor league games. I was suprised even parking was cheap last year in Cincy compared to a Colts game.

I just hope they can continue to clean up the steroid mess (insert Ryan Braun hereamong others).

One thing I've noticed. Bud Selig gets so much crap from everyone, and one major thing is how stupid it was to make the All Star Game mean something.

The MLB All Star game is the ONLY all star game I watch. The other ones are terrible and complete jokes. Bud got the All Star Game right.

And, really. What was the old choice? Like making the All Star game mean something is any worse than having it determined by ever other year?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    One thing I've noticed. Bud Selig gets so much crap from everyone, and one major thing is how stupid it was to make the All Star Game mean something.

The MLB All Star game is the ONLY all star game I watch. The other ones are terrible and complete jokes. Bud got the All Star Game right.
    I'm not going to argue about the all-star game, but you see a lot of posts about what a joke Bud is. Bud has been FANTASTIC for the game of baseball.
    It's a short list, but he's been hands down the best commissioner in my lifetime.

yeah...yeah...Pete Rose, PEDs, ...FANTASTIC for the game. The commisssioner is supposed to be the owner's stooge and that's a role that Bud plays extraordinarily well. Money is being made hand over fist.

The only thing I would like to see is an earlier start to the playoff and all star games so kids on the east coast have a chance of developing into fans.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Where are you getting your info on attendance? I believe 2007 was the record, and last year was the 5th all time (with 2005-2008 being higher).

Turn Off Ads?