Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips Batting 2nd

Re: Brandon Phillips Batting 2nd

No, but you two's lack of refrence to anything but statistics (sorry I haven't been on the board since 2005 like you distinguished ORG gents) raises a reasonable suspicion that you don't know much else
    Last edited by smixsell; 02-20-2013 at 10:52 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I played competetive ball on an international travel team. We had at least three guys drafted, including a guy drafted by the White Sox and who played a few years in the NFL for the Raiders.

We played against some of the best 15-18 year old teams in the world.

I know more about baseball today, because of those stats I don't get paid for looking up, then I ever did as a 15 year old punk.
    That remains to be seen.

blah blah blah

We had at least five guys drafted from my high school team and one guy had a 12 plus year major league career and was an all star.

Blah blah blah

I'm also a beloved icon, a snappy dresser, and 108 time winner of the Nobel Prize. I've also had announcers on WLW ask "what the hell is a Raisor" when I've been used in discussions about Onbase Percentage.

In other words, I'm awesome.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I won the coach's award for sportsmanship in Little League. Your argument is invalid.

I annually lead the league in participation medals!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I won the coach's award for sportsmanship in Little League. Your argument is invalid.
    You need to put "award winning" in your sig

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

You need to put "award winning" in your sig
    Thanks, you are right. By adding that, it's the equivalent of adding 1,000 to my post count.

I feel like a grizzled veteran right now.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

9. Likes:

Superdude (02-20-2013)

I'm also a beloved icon, a snappy dresser, and 108 time winner of the Nobel Prize. I've also had announcers on WLW ask "what the hell is a Raisor" when I've been used in discussions about Onbase Percentage.

I have no doubt you are.

Sorry to all for the snarky tone in my posts, as looking back I see the OP started this as a "stat thread," and I was the first one to get snarky.

Just out of curiosity Raisor, why do you want Bruce in the #2 hole? Feel free to just post a link in lieu of an explanation if this is old territory.

here's a game shot of Phil when he played "Kitten Ball"

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    I have no doubt you are.

Sorry to all for the snarky tone in my posts, as looking back I see the OP started this as a "stat thread," and I was the first one to get snarky.

Just out of curiosity Raisor, why do you want Bruce in the #2 hole? Feel free to just post a link in lieu of an explanation if this is old territory.
    I've always wanted Bruce in the 2 hole.

More PAs than in the five slot.
    More fastballs hitting in front of Votto.

I want the three best offensive players on the team coming up in the first inning. Right now that's Choo, Bruce, and Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm not getting the Keeler reference WoY? My only point was Phillips has shown the ability to hit the ball to the right when he needs to or to the left when he needs to. If you're at the plate and there's a gaping hole between 3rd and 2nd....why wouldn't you attempt to hit it to the left? Same goes for a huge hole to the right. It just seems counter-intuitive to not try to take advantage of what the defense gives you.
    For the most part you hit what the pitcher gives you...atleast thats what i was always taught. You get the occasional inside out swing or the always a pull hitter, but if the ball is on the outside part of the plate you go opposite field and if its inside you pull it.

I want the three best offensive players on the team coming up in the first inning. Right now that's Choo, Bruce, and Votto.
    aint nothing wrong with that

There's a lot I like about it. (Jay has never been too prone to DPs ---even with no adjustments in his approach).

I still would try Choo-BP-Votto-Bruce to start with but would consider switching to your preferred order a very viable option if BP proved disappointing in the role.

Unfortunately Dusty will never try either because he would suffer an aneurysm if he put 2 (or 3!) lefties in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    There's a lot I like about it. (Jay has never been too prone to DPs ---even with no adjustments in his approach).

I still would try Choo-BP-Votto-Bruce to start with but would consider switching to your preferred order a very viable option if BP proved disappointing in the role.

Unfortunately Dusty will never try either because he would suffer an aneurysm if he put 2 (or 3!) lefties in a row.
    Fortunately, Dusty would probably recognize that the Reds have three lefty starting hitters in the lineup.

So not only would Bruce at #2 put three lefties in a row, Reds then would follow with five righties in a row. Then the pitcher.

Suffice it to say, having three lefties then five righties makes it rather easy for the opposition to set up its relief pitching.

Having Bruce at number 4 would be fine, but Ludwick-Bruce-Frazier is just as good at four-five-six IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-20-2013 at 07:20 PM.

score more early runs, less worry about the opposing team's bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?