Turn Off Ads?

Thread: In '1999' Scott Rolen had a dream...

In '1999' Scott Rolen had a dream...

Someone asked me the other day why I thought Scotty was such a great human being?...I thought...wow...maybe everybody doesn't know what Scott does on his off days....Don't worry, I won't keep writing Scotty stories but this one is important...In 1999 Scott had a dream about helping sick children & their families & really any children & families that need help...Well, he started right away in making his dream come true & the 'Enis Furley foundation' was born...By the way Enis Furley & Emma Lou were his beloved dogs...I'm tongue tied because there is so much I want to say but I tend to get too emotional...I want to tell you about everything that went into this...but alas, I believe the 'Enis Furley Foundation' will speak for itself...I'm not to swift on the ol' computer or I'd put a link or a photo or something.....Please take a minute & go on this site...check out the photo's & click on everything, I promise you will be amazed...This is what my friend & his wife are all about & I do think we need athletes to really look up to....

Thank-you for taking the time

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-19-2013),cooperlamar (02-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In '1999' Scott Rolen had a dream...

1999 Rolen against the Reds 24 PA's

.550/.625/1.100/1.725

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Thank-you

The only reason I posted this was I never hear great stories about athletes giving back, I mean really giving their heart & soul plus funding their project & work non-stop to get it done ....plus the fact I thought it might be a good story to read while we wait for the first pitch...I love to read stories about athletes that give back because they're are so many that don't...I find so many people on chat rooms enjoy negative comments...looks like there's no int...
    Last edited by redsrolen; 02-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Looks like a good organization doing good works.

FYI redsrolen, if you like this type of stuff, the Reds have done very well in giving back. Remember Marty's head shave turned into a fundraiser for some beautiful children struggling through illness, Jay Bruce took over Aaron Harang's tickets for servicemen and their families charity work, Brandon Phillips provided funding for a JC ball field, just to name a few. I also recall reading that Coco Cordero had a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on while he was here that he kept quiet to avoid glorifying himself. The Reds as an organization do a lot of good work through the Reds Community Fund.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

FYI redsrolen, if you like this type of stuff, the Reds have done very well in giving back. Remember Marty's head shave turned into a fundraiser for some beautiful children struggling through illness, Jay Bruce took over Aaron Harang's tickets for servicemen and their families charity work, Brandon Phillips provided funding for a JC ball field, just to name a few. I also recall reading that Coco Cordero had a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on while he was here that he kept quiet to avoid glorifying himself. The Reds as an organization do a lot of good work through the Reds Community Fund.
    That's philanthropy in it's truest essence.

Thanks & yes I did read all those things...I'm always searching for good things in players...especially about the Reds...& as you can see on Scott's site...the Reds are very much involved welcoming the kids & their families...

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    That's philanthropy in it's truest essence.
    Ah, but what about making your own generosity public in order to inspire others?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Worth The Wait

Here in OKC, the Thunder organization and players do a TON of charity/community work. All the time. Some people are cynical about it and wonder if it's written into their contracts or if they do it for the good press. I say, who cares? We'll never know the inner motivations of people, so I choose to instead focus on what is being done. Good for Rolen....certainly not a surprise to me at all that he would be involved in something like this given what a class act he's been his entire career.

I think most athletes, like most people, are good folks. I think there are a ton of athletes who give back in one way or another. My guess is that the number of athletes who engage in some form of charity is actually probably higher than the general population.

12. Likes:

redsrolen (02-18-2013)

I heard that Cordero donated more to charity and specifically the Reds Community Fund than any other Red and he (as stated above) did it rather anonymously. I didn't find this out until after he left unfortunately.

14. Likes:

redsrolen (02-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Ah, but what about making your own generosity public in order to inspire others?
    A wise king once said "let another man's lips praise you." The lesson of the widow's mite vs. the shouting and yelling of religious leaders over their offerings. True philanthropy should be done not seeking one's own glorification, but with the motive of helping others. That comes off best when it is done privately. Public recognition for big donors with names splashed across stuff usually can be easily misconstrued.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

16. Likes:

cooperlamar (02-19-2013)

A wise king once said "let another man's lips praise you." The lesson of the widow's mite vs. the shouting and yelling of religious leaders over their offerings. True philanthropy should be done not seeking one's own glorification, but with the motive of helping others. That comes off best when it is done privately. Public recognition for big donors with names splashed across stuff usually can be easily misconstrued.
    I absolutely understand and respect that view. However, for people like pro athletes or entertainers who have a public following, their show of support for a cause can drive and inspire their fans to support the cause, too. If the motive is to provide as much support for the cause as possible, I have no problem with people using their influence and public profile to reach their goal.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

18. Likes:

redsrolen (02-19-2013)

Love the thought behind the post, not only for Rolens work, but the many, many athletes in all sports that so so much good work. For every bad/negative story that the media feeds on, there are dozens of positive things being done by athletes that gets little to no coverage. There was a good football special on tv last week-cant recall name-that featured 4 football players and sharing their story with young peoepl going through similar things now. Even things such as Phillips being so kind to fans doesn't get enough credit, let alone the big money and time commitments so many give to charity, organiztions and various causes around the country/world...
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

20. Likes:

redsrolen (02-21-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nothing wrong with that, either. But there is something to be said when a guy like CoCo does it that way.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Nothing wrong with that, either. But there is something to be said when a guy like CoCo does it that way.
    I absolutely agree... That's why Scott did 'ALL' this on his own for yrs....

Turn Off Ads?