Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball America Top 100 Prospects (4 Reds)

Re: Baseball America Top 100 Prospects (4 Reds)

Huh. I've always heard differently, doug.

The scouts I've talked to have always added doubles and triples power to their 20-80 power number scale. They will usually say something along the lines of "Raines has a 40 power tool, with most of that coming from doubles and triples."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Huh. I've always heard differently, doug.

The scouts I've talked to have always added doubles and triples power to their 20-80 power number scale. They will usually say something along the lines of "Raines has a 40 power tool, with most of that coming from doubles and triples."
    I can get behind it both ways as I can see the merits for both. I always lean more towards home runs, because you can generally luck into a few doubles/triples a year with a funny bounce, just flat out busting it out of the box, a mis-timed dive and the likes. You can't really do that with home runs. And while it may not come into play for a guy like Hamilton who will lead off, he wouldn't be racking up those doubles/triples if he were hitting elsewhere in the lineup with guys on in front of him because they wouldn't be able to get out of his way, so it isn't a true show of his power, but of his speed. Home runs make BABIP less important.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Would any Reds fans entertain putting Gregorius above Cingrani, or Corcino? I would guess, no. Gregorius seems to be getting some extra hype because of position scarcity.
    He was traded for Shin Soo Choo. That may bring more value to the team that drafted him than any of the guys ranked below him.

Seriously, I think the trade raised his rankings. It happens.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He was traded for Shin Soo Choo. That may bring more value to the team that drafted him than any of the guys ranked below him.

Seriously, I think the trade raised his rankings. It happens.
    Agreed.

We can debate what his future holds all day, but there is no debating that he delivered a TON of value to the Cincinnati Reds franchise.

personally, i believe cingrani's ceiling is as a quality starter but question is whether or not he'll get there.

Minor league numbers, by and large, improve slightly, stay the same, or drop when prospects make the big jump to the majors. If that's the case, the best Gregorius can hope for (if he's the same as almost all other prospects) is around a 715 OPS with a Gold Glove. He's basically 2012 Zack Cozart, in other words.

Cingrani has a 1.73 ERA in almost 200 minor league IP. 252 K. 133 hits allowed.

Fwiw.

Turn Off Ads?