Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin reunion???

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Led Zeppelin reunion???

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If I could time travel to see a great band perform in their heyday, no doubt Zep would be near the top of my list. But this is generally how I feel about reunions. if bands are no longer recording new music, they generally lack the vigor and life to make paying the inordinate prices worthwhile.

Why not go see this generation's Led Zeppelin (or at least performers in their prime)?
    The problem with reunions is that they normally aren't really reunions. Journey getting back together after 7 years isn't really a reunion.

The difference here for me is that Zeppelin is the greatest rock and roll band ever, the material has not only aged well it's even better in some regards, and they can still play. I was blown away by the O2- just magical.

And not to sound snobbish but there is no this generation's Zeppelin. That's never going to happen again.

Music is in such a pathetic state, I finds self going backwards to get new music. I like to rediscover or find things I've never spent much time with before.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-21-2013 at 08:26 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    So true, Dom. The reason there are about 20 guitar player mags to every 1 bass player mag (or sites... showing my age). I have always said if you want to get in a band, then learn the bass. Everyone plays guitar and of course most professional bass players started on the guitar (not Jones though). Even Page played bass (switched to bass lol) when he first joined the Yardbirds.
    Not going to lie- I was surprised to see Jones' influence. I was always told it was pretty much Page's baby but all of them contributed and JPJ was key on some of their best riffs. Talented man- great bassist and keyboards as well.

I could go on and on about Zeppelin. Just the best.

And to see Jason Bonham with so much respect for the legacy and his father- he wears it on his sleeve. I read where he quit Foreigner in hopes of a Zeppelin tour only to be told Plant wasn't going along.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-21-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Don't know of a better place to put this article about the demise of mainstream rock music:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...1-led-zeppelin
    Not that it really matters, but there is one simple reason why Led Zeppelin, in some cases, appears to lack the Universal appeal of the Beatles and/or The Rolling Stones: The Beatles and Stones were always a much bigger presence (no pun intended) on Pop Radio than Led Zeppelin, whose music - for the most part - was/is too sophisticated for the average Pop/non Rock listener.

As for the purported demise of Mainstream Rock music, it very much is alive and well. As we've all pointed out in other threads, it is Mainstream Rock as a terrestrial radio format that is disappearing.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

If I could time travel to see a great band perform in their heyday, no doubt Zep would be near the top of my list. But this is generally how I feel about reunions. if bands are no longer recording new music, they generally lack the vigor and life to make paying the inordinate prices worthwhile.

Why not go see this generation's Led Zeppelin (or at least performers in their prime)?
    This.

Maybe it is just me, but I'd like to see some new material - not necessarily an entire album.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Some of the biggest grossing acts are ones that have not put out anything in years.

For me, I'd rather pay $500 to hear Zeppelin rehash songs 40 years old than see Mumford and Sons play ten new ones for $75.

I see the point and it applies to some acts- No amount of new material is going to make Night Ranger sound fresh.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-21-2013 at 08:56 PM.

7. Likes:

Joseph (02-24-2013)

The problem with reunions is that they normally aren't really reunions. Journey getting back together after 7 years isn't really a reunion.

The difference here for me is that Zeppelin is the greatest rock and roll band ever, the material has not only aged well it's even better in some regards, and they can still play. I was blown away by the O2- just magical.
    Fair enough.

But, far more often than not, at least from my experiences, band reunions following a considerable time apart usually wind up akin to a group of middle aged adults spending the evening tee-peeing every house on the block - having a good time while looking extremely foolish in the process.

And not to sound snobbish but there is no this generation's Zeppelin. That's never going to happen again.
    No truer words were spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    . He talks about ruinig the legacy, and then shacks up with some no name chick in Austin, Texas...and that is better than doing Zeppelin again. Whatever.
    Wait, you aren't talking about Alison Krauss are you? She's awesome.

But, far more often than not, at least from my experiences, band reunions following a considerable time apart usually wind up akin to a group of middle aged adults spending the evening tee-peeing every house on the block - having a good time while looking extremely foolish in the process.
    And this is what Robert Plant is afraid of. He's said it. You are spot on. He is spot on.

A 70 year old man singing the opening line of Black Dog...in lesser hands could be tacky.

But if I had ten minutes with Mr. Plant I would tell him he has nothing to fear. He isn't a 300 pound Mike Reno singing Lovin' Every Minute of it. These are fine musicians of enormous talent playing songs that were compositions as much as they were great rock and roll songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Wait, you aren't talking about Alison Krauss are you? She's awesome.
    No- he's living with a different female musician.

Music is in such a pathetic state, I finds self going backwards to get new music. I like to rediscover or find things I've never spent much time with before.
    You always have the snobbery covered

Do you mean current rock music, or music in general?

I think music as a whole is in a Golden Era right now...

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-22-2013)

Some of the biggest grossing acts are ones that have not put out anything in years.
    That has nothing to do with the quality of the show. It just means plenty of middle-aged folks (the people with the money) pay high prices to try to relive their glory years.

For me, I'd rather pay $500 to hear Zeppelin rehash songs 40 years old than see Mumford and Sons play ten new ones for $75.

I see the point and it applies to some acts- No amount of new material is going to make Night Ranger sound fresh.
    Dunno who Night Ranger is.

I'd rather pay $20 25 times to watch some of the brightest acts in modern music than pay $500 to watch a past-their-prime 3/4 Zep go through the motions...

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    As for the purported demise of Mainstream Rock music, it very much is alive and well. As we've all pointed out in other threads, it is Mainstream Rock as a terrestrial radio format that is disappearing.
    Huh? It's not just the radio. Rock music doesn't chart anymore. It isn't on TV. You can make a case that there is still lots of great rock music out there, but *mainstream* rock music was buried 10 years ago...

That has nothing to do with the quality of the show. It just means plenty of middle-aged folks (the people with the money) pay high prices to try to relive their glory years.

Dunno who Night Ranger is.

I'd rather pay $20 25 times to watch some of the brightest acts in modern music than pay $500 to watch a past-their-prime 3/4 Zep go through the motions...
    There were over a million ticket requests for the O2 show.

I doubt if _____________ (insert any living band) could generate that type of interest.

I do see the point of reliving glory years, though Zeppelin hasn't done it ever, so it;s not like they are just beating a dead horse. They aren't the Beach Boys touring every year....

For me, this is a completely different situation. To each his own!

Huh? It's not just the radio. Rock music doesn't chart anymore. It isn't on TV. You can make a case that there is still lots of great rock music out there, but *mainstream* rock music was buried 10 years ago...
    Don't Stop Believin' outsells most current stuff. I dunno...how golden is it if nobody is listening?

And I know someone is going to point out that sales don't mean anything, but they do to a certain degree because it measures audience.

It's the Dinsoaur, Jr thing: it's supposedly awesome, nobody knows who they are (I quite like them, incidentally).

Sorry to respond so many times, I didn't see this:

If you haven't seen the O2 show, go get it. If I paid top dollar for that, I would have thought I ripped them off. It was that good.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?