Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 5/15

Birthdays: 5/15

Reds:

Harry Smith -A third-string backup catcher in 1917-18. Probably the most obscure player I've ever included in these lists, but hey, a Red is a Red...

Others:

Josh Beckett (32) -Perhaps he and his Red Sox teammates can celebrate his birthday in the clubhouse during the game with some fried chicken and beer...

John Smoltz (45) -Holds a bunch of weird records mostly because he and Dennis Eckersley are the only players to have long successful careers as both a starter and a reliever...In 1996, counting playoffs and the All-Star game, he won 29 games- the most since Denny McLain...Here's an obscure record for you: Smoltzy has the most postseason stolen bases (3) of any pitcher...Good friends with Jeff Foxworthy and Tiger Woods... He's a really good golfer, and even got a special exemption to enter a PGA tour event, but he imploded and finished nine strokes behind the second-worst golfer.

George Brett (59) -Cousin of actor Matthew Modine...Has a career .299 batting average against Hall of Fame pitchers...His three kids are named after his father, Bob Dylan, and Robin Yount.

Bill North (64) -Speedy OF... The first DH in A's history...Turned an unassisted double play from center field in 1974 when he raced in to catch a shallow fly, then ran in to double up Dick Allen from second base...later became a financial planner; his clients include Dusty Baker.

Claude "Lefty" Thomas -Pitched only briefly in the majors, but had a long career in the Pacific Coast League, and is remembered for teaching Carl Hubbell how to throw a screwball.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 5/15

I have a hard time imagining Smoltz, Foxworthy and Woods going out on the town together, lol. Although, combined, they might have half the money in the world.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 5/15

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    but hey, a Red is a Red...
    I agree one-thousand percent, chico. Just playing in one game as a Red is enough for me to hold the guy in awe.

Turn Off Ads?