Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: One year with an Electric Car

Re: One year with an Electric Car

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I have not read this entire thread. How much less miles do you get on a full battery when using the air conditioner?
    If I had to guess I'd say 10. The Leaf has something we jokingly call a "Guess-O-Meter". It tells you how many miles you have left. (It will vary a lot). If you are starting out and it says 100 miles, switching off the A/C would probably make it go to 110. I've done that playing around.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-28-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (02-05-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Another update. Not too much new. We did get the new batteries, which is like getting a new car. We're well over 65,000 miles now I think. The wife still works (while I sleep in....retired), and she now drives the Leaf. Still nothing has ever gone wrong with it, and there's no maintenance to speak of.

Volt came out with a 2nd generation. And Chevy created an all-electric car of their own the Bolt. Just now hitting the streets. And Leaf is still on generation one with only rumors of what is to come. I almost wonder if they are really going to have a second generation.
    Did you have to pay for the new batteries? Do you know how much they cost?

I was able to get the new batteries for free under warranty. They were the old chemistry and the suffered from summer heat. New chemistry seems to be ok. If you want to buy they cost about $5,000. I doubt many people are buying batteries. You can get a year old Leaf with full battery for about $8,000.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I was able to get the new batteries for free under warranty. They were the old chemistry and the suffered from summer heat. New chemistry seems to be ok. If you want to buy they cost about $5,000. I doubt many people are buying batteries. You can get a year old Leaf with full battery for about $8,000.
    Is this your first set of new batteries or has your car gone through more? What's the battery warranty?

There are 2 warranties on the "old" Leaf batteries. General Defects which is like 80 or 100K. Basically no one cares about this, since I don't know if anyone has ever reported any "general defects". Then because of a lawsuit there is a "capacity warranty", that says you'll still have 9 bars (of 12) at 60K. That was because Gen 1 of the batteries had a problem in the heat of the Southern US.

It was under that capacity warranty I got my replacement batteries for free. Only time I had it done. I still have 12 bars on replacement set.

Second generation has new chemistry that has not had any problems.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-07-2017)

The Leaf is history......replaced with a new Leaf. New thread coming. In the end we did 2 months short of 7 years, did almost 88,000 miles. No gas, no oil changes, no fluid changes, no brake work, etc, etc. etc.

I bought a 12 volt battery for about $100. And I had one repair for a water pump for the battery charger that was a crazy $800. (Obviously bought tires along the way.).

10. Likes:

Redsfaithful (09-28-2018),Sea Ray (09-28-2018)

Turn Off Ads?