Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelby Miller may have a shoulder issue

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Shelby Miller shut down

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    When the Cards (or any opponent) signs a "run down" vet on the cheap, with that cheap price being due to the players injury risk...what are we supposed to do, wish them for great health so the Cards make out like bandits? Berkman and Beltran are examples of this.
    If the Reds had signed Beltran before last season, he'd have been injured most of the year. Seems like that's the Reds luck. The Cards seem to get the opposite where everything goes right for them.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I couldn't watch the Super Bowl. I hate both those teams because of my love of the Bengals.

The happy competitor stopped in little league for me lol....
    This. I never root for injuries, but when someone gets hurt that plays for a direct competition, I give a fist pump as well. Dog eat dog world and all....

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I can only speak for myself but I don't root for anyone to get hurt. No one has come out and said that yet I might add.

But once it occurs I am glad that the Reds chances just improved. I certainly don't say, "shucks I wanted to beat the Cardinals at full strength". Some do feel that way and that's fine by me...and I won't preach to them how they should feel.

The one thing that somewhat is a brain teaser are circumstances like the following...

When the Cards (or any opponent) signs a "run down" vet on the cheap, with that cheap price being due to the players injury risk...what are we supposed to do, wish them for great health so the Cards make out like bandits? Berkman and Beltran are examples of this.
    Spot on Kal. I never root for anyone's hurt, but I'm an unabashed fist pumper if it happens. The odds are stacked against my team being at full strength all year, so why am I going to root for your team to be at full strength.

PS If you think the Reds had a great year health wise last year, just remember the nature and timing of Votto and Cueto's injuries. They kind of canceled out our overall pitching and regular season of good health IMO.

Re: Shelby Miller may have a shoulder issue

First thing that crossed my mind is the possibility that the Cardinals might now be interested in Lohse.

In baseball vernacular, I do not think "stiffness" and "tightness" are synonymous when describing elbows or shoulders. Backs, not so much. I don't know in this case, but tightness is always worse in my experience when describing the shoulder or elbow.

Well, I hope he's ok. I never wish bad or gloat about another team's injuries (or potential injuries...) since It's been my experience that when I do, it comes back to bite me on the fanny.... Just been my "luck". lol!

Anyone get Jonny Gomes' reaction?

9. Likes:

919191 (02-22-2013),Chip R (02-21-2013),cincyinco (02-21-2013),CySeymour (02-22-2013),Screwball (02-21-2013),wolfboy (02-22-2013)

dont think for a second that every Cardinal fan and player did a fist pump and probably let out a howl the minute Cueto walked off the mound in the playoffs last year.....you dont ever want to see anyone get hurt but if it will help the Reds and not damage the kids career, I am all for seeing him get shut down....

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    dont think for a second that every Cardinal fan and player did a fist pump and probably let out a howl the minute Cueto walked off the mound in the playoffs last year.....you dont ever want to see anyone get hurt but if it will help the Reds and not damage the kids career, I am all for seeing him get shut down....
    Ive come to learn that Reds' fans are more concerned with the Cardinals than vice versa.

12. Likes:

cincyinco (02-21-2013),MikeThierry (02-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Honestly, I didn't find many people in St. Louis who were focusing on this.

It looks like this whole thing with Shelby Miller was a one day thing. Apparently he's cleared to pitch. He probably just threw too much at the start of camp and his arm got slightly tired.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Ive come to learn that Reds' fans are more concerned with the Cardinals than vice versa.
    I think it is more a willing to admit more than an actual fact. You don't still boo BP every time he comes to the plate in Busch Stadium when you're not paying attention. Cards fans are just too arrogant to admit that there are other teams that matter in the league besides their team and their ugly brother arch rival the Cubs.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-22-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

15. Likes:

New Fever (02-22-2013),OnBaseMachine (02-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Honestly, I didn't find many people in St. Louis who were focusing on this.

It looks like this whole thing with Shelby Miller was a one day thing. Apparently he's cleared to pitch. He probably just threw too much at the start of camp and his arm got slightly tired.
    So how will the shoulder react to the rigors of a major league season if it is barking before the season starts?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So how will the shoulder react to the rigors of a major league season if it is barking before the season starts?
    He will hardly be the first guy who missed a few days in the spring with shoulder tightness to go on to pitch a full season (if he does). It happens every year with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think it is more a willing to admit more than an actual fact. You don't still boo BP every time he comes to the plate in Busch Stadium when you're not paying attention. Cards fans are just too arrogant to admit that there are other teams that matter in the league besides their team and their ugly brother arch rival the Cubs.
    That's a silly characterization. Of course we recognize that there are other teams that matter. It's just when a team like the Cardinals or the Yankees, fans of those teams tend to focus on the teams that are nipping at their heals. That isn't to say that the Reds were not to be payed attention to, they were just never a priority of focus until about 2010 for Cardinals fans. For most of the decade of the 00's, Houston and Chicago was the primary focus. They were the top teams competing with the Cardinals. A Houston vs. St. Louis matchup was of more importance in the eyes of those fans in the mid-00's than a St. Louis/Cincy matchup. Sorry if this seems as arrogant but it's the way it is. I'm sure that last year, Cincy fans were more pumped up about a Reds/Cards matchup than they were a Reds/Astros matchup. Not all teams are of equal importance if your team is at the top of the food chain.

Oh, and the booing of BP has diminished overtime and isn't as much as it was back years ago.

The Cardinals have as many rings as any team other than the Yankees. Their fans have the right to be confident and borderline "arrogant." Because they've proven their mettle time and again when it matters. I'm a Buckeyes fan, and you can bet your backside I could probably be described as arrogant. When your team backs it up, I don't see much problem with it.

I'm starting to become arrogant in regards to the Reds, and it feels nice for a change

Turn Off Ads?